"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Head Chef

Melbourne Cup

Today is probably the most important day in Australian horse racing (for us non racing types anyway) Its a big horse race held (obviously) in melbourne and people all stop to watch it this afternoon when its run. Lots of places have lunches and sweeps and there is a huge increase in gambling!! I have just made my annual trip to the TAB to place my bets on horses we have chosen for no really good reason except we liked the name or number so wish us luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have never been to a horse race. It must be exciting. We have greyhound dog racing here in the summertime. It always draws a big crowd too.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
So, did your horse come in MrsMac??

I am peeved that I did not do my annual rip to the TAB as after knowing the names of the 1st and 2nd horses, ( Delta Blues and Poprock) I know I would have chosen them as they both have music linked names. Darn. Darn. Darn.
And they paid a pretty penny to boot.

Oh well...there's always next year!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Head Chef

We won $6 on a sweep! Thats all!!!! Dh helpfully said after the race that if he had of seen the names beforehand he would have put money on Delta Blues for sure- I said that it was no use telling me that now!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Cook

It was a fine race. The Japanese have really made their mark. Good for them. Those horses are just beautivul, all of them.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I forgot it was Melbourne Cup day, and was only reminded of the fact when I visited the hairdresser in the morning, and found everybody wearing glamorous hats!

I take no interest in horse-racing (or any other kind of racing) at all, but when I was working, it was part of my duties to run the annual Melbourne Cup Sweep! The entire country stops for the race, and it's a marvellous opportunity for people to get together for parties and lunches and to dress up to the hilt - and throw their money away.

I must admit I was quite shocked, years ago, when my daughter was attending a preschool (aged 3). When the kids were dropped off by their parents, they were asked to enter each child into a sweep, and at 2.30, the kids were all woken from their afternoon naps to watch the race on TV. I thought this was going A Bit Far. That was nearly 40 years ago, and I doubt much has changed since then. Melbourne Cup Day is HUGE!