Memorable meal from vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Do you have a favorite meal from one of your vacations? When some of my children were younger, we were in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. We stayed at a ski lodge. It was great, no phone or TV's. When we got up the next morning they had a buffet set up. OMG, I have never seen such food in my life. Towers of food on ice. They even had a hogs head sitting there. I don't know what that was about, I didn't look to close. They had all the hot and cold dishes you can imagine and every fruit know to man. That is one meal I will never forget!!!

One day after exploring the back roads of South West Louisiana all morning, becoming lost at times, I finally made my way into Abbeville starving to death. I went into a tiny local cafe that had a small steam table buffet. It was typical southern fare except for the chicken sauce piquant which was absolutely the best that I had ever eaten in my life...I don't recall what else I ate, only the sauce piquant...I still have dreams about it:LOL:

I have a couple of others but I think Joann only wanted one.

The best food ever is running through the drive-thru and getting a bag of McBiscuits on your way out of town. Nothing like buying donuts at the airport from Dunkin Donuts. Nothing like finding KFC around the corner from the zoo. And absolutely nothing like having Pizza Hut delivered to your hotel/motel room.

We just like the comforts of home when we travel! :rolleyes: And yes, they have Subway in Dubai Saudi Arabia's 7 star hotel!

I don't have one favorite place from my vacations. I instead have a lot of them.

St. Croix : Ate at this restaurant (cant' remember now what it was called) which was casual (plastic chairs) but right on the beach. The fish was extremely fresh (caught the same evening) and it was a full moon night and the waves felt like were literally going to crash on our feets.

Hawaii: The best coconuts. Large and full of water and tons of coconut cream. I grew up in India but the Hawaiin coconuts put the ones I grew up on to shame.

Cairo: Naguib Mahfuz is a jewel of a restaurant in the busy Khan e Khalil market. We were not able to get reservations for proper meal because it was completely booked. We did however eat great falafel and the best fresh guava juice I have every had in my life.

London: Sofra's my absolute favorite Lebanese food join in the trendy Covent Garden. The lamb there is out of this world. Not gamey, tender and full of flavor.

Paris: Crepes, Crepes and more Crepes. Yes from the road side stalls.

Uncle Bob said:
One day after exploring the back roads of South West Louisiana all morning, becoming lost at times, I finally made my way into Abbeville starving to death. I went into a tiny local cafe that had a small steam table buffet. It was typical southern fare except for the chicken sauce piquant which was absolutely the best that I had ever eaten in my life...I don't recall what else I ate, only the sauce piquant...I still have dreams about it:LOL:

I have a couple of others but I think Joann only wanted one.

Please Uncle Bob, I would love to hear some more. JoAnn

The butter at The Bellagio in Las Vegas. We were there on our honeymoon and that butter was the best I've ever had.

Happy Camping in Rome! The best pasta in this world!!!

Gyros from road side stands in Greece!!

Tacos from road side stands in Mexico!!

French food from the fancy places in France!

When ever I make it home, hog penny Bermuda fish chowder, the best.

Fish chowder (a Bermuda national dish). A British dish that came over with the first colonists, not an original American dish as commonly thought. Now a Bermuda national dish. A spicy Bermudian soup. It begins with a good stock, rich and flavorful, made from fresh local de-boned fish, with fish heads and tails used. Other ingredients include water, bacon fat, a diced pawpaw, parsley, salt and ground pepper, black rum and sherry peppers, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, canned tomatoes, thyme. 2 pounds of potatoes. Splash liberally with more rum and sherry peppers. Long, slow simmering is the key. A meal by itself or as an appetizer. It is different in content, taste and texture to any New England style fish or clam chowder. It should not be too watery or over thickened with corn starch or with too much tomato paste. The best recipe has boiled up fish carcasses.

Another one By Special Request from Miss JoAnn.

While traveling for a company I worked for, I was in Clarksdale Mississippi for the night. This town is right in the middle of cotton farms in the Mississippi Delta. Anyway I go to my usual little diner, and order my usual in this place (Small strip, baked potato, simple salad) along with a 1/2 dozen on the half shell that the owner suggested. The oysters arrived and I began to ENJOY them.These things were fantastic!! Did I tell ya they were good? Anyway I asked the owner if I could cancel the steak, and order more oysters. I was told certainly! I ate 3 1/2 dozen of the best oysters I had ever eaten in my life, before or since. I ask the owner where they came from, and he said Abbeville Louisiana, and they had come in that afternoon. So there I was in the middle of a cotton patch, in the middle of the Mississippi Delta eating the best raw oysters I have ever eaten.

Not a vacation memory Miss JoAnn, but certainly a memorable time.

I love going on road trips and vacations because trying the local cuisine is so much fun.

Paris 2001 - can't remember the name of the place, it was in a basement, we were the only Americans, no one spoke English and I had on a bright red top. Everyone stared at us but the food was to die for!

St Croix - little Italian place in Christiansted, wonderful food and great atmosphere.

Le Cottage, French St. Martin, October 2006. I had the four course lobster meal - it was fantastic.

Dothan GA - steak place we stopped at on the way to St. George Island. I thnk it was called Conastogas - maybe it was because I'd been in a car for 13 hours, but their filet mignon was memorable. I've been angling to stop their on our way to FLA ever since.

Back
Top Bottom