"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Some more info on the origins of Memorial Day from Snopes:

Claim: Former slaves reburied dead Union prisoners of war in May 1865, thus creating the modern observance of Memorial Day.

MIXTURE:
TRUE: In May 1865, free blacks in Charleston reburied dead Union prisoners of war and held a cemetery dedication ceremony.
UNDETERMINED: The event referenced above is the origin of the modern Memorial Day observance.
Read more at snopes.com: Origins of Memorial Day
Very interesting to see the many permutations of this holiday.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Many of the people commemorated on war memorials will no longer have anyone left who remembers them so I always try to find time to read the names when I pass one.

Possibly a bit silly and sentimental but I think it matters.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been fortunate enough to have been given the June 2014 copy of National Graphic Magazine. It is quite a read. Well worth it if you can get your hands on a copy. Go to your local library if necessary. One of the things that surprised me was the photo of a soldier carrying his best friend in a body bag with tears streaming. I wasn't prepared for that when I turned the page.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

Here is that picture that Addie was talking about, I think. Sob!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you cave76.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have been fortunate enough to have been given the June 2014 copy of National Graphic Magazine. It is quite a read. Well worth it if you can get your hands on a copy. Go to your local library if necessary. One of the things that surprised me was the photo of a soldier carrying his best friend in a body bag with tears streaming. I wasn't prepared for that when I turned the page.
Did you mean National Geographic? And by best friend, do you mean a dog?

It is a very moving photo. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #17
Wine Guy

Lots of military people in my family. My grandfather and his brothers served in WW1. Dad served in WW2. And my brother served with the Marines, but was lucky enough to not see any active combat. I also had many uncles and cousins who saw their fair share of duty. I wasn't able to serve myself. Although I tried to enlist after high school, I was rejected on medical grounds due to a congenital spinal defect.

I consider myself very fortunate to not have not lost a single family member in combat, and I think we owe a debt to those who gave their lives. We're going to a ceremony later this morning to honor the fallen.

It's a little disheartening that, for many, Memorial Day has become more about having a 3-day weekend filled with beer and hot dogs.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
Head Chef

Here's another picture of a War Dog from the Nat. Geo. issue.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

It's a little disheartening that, for many, Memorial Day has become more about having a 3-day weekend filled with beer and hot dogs.
I can understand your feelings about this topic Steve, but another way to look at it is some veterans believe that that is one of the freedoms they were fighting for. The freedom to enjoy your life, family and friends, however they wish to do it, without fear.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I can understand your feelings about this topic Steve, but another way to look at it is some veterans believe that that is one of the freedoms they were fighting for. The freedom to enjoy your life, family and friends, however they wish to do it, without fear.
I agree with Rocklobsters post.
+1