"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Memories

This recipe reminds me of my grandma. Was same way she would want to bake. kind of makes me sad. Such good people who were like innocent children. No ulterior motives.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sweet lady. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

I love this woman - isn't she a hoot? She was featured on CBS Nightly News last night. Her grandson made all these videos so that the family would have a record of her recipes, and his friends liked them so much, he loaded them on YouTube. She was a little shy about the whole thing - couldn't understand why everyone was making such a fuss. Love it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I love this woman - isn't she a hoot? She was featured on CBS Nightly News last night. Her grandson made all these videos so that the family would have a record of her recipes, and his friends liked them so much, he loaded them on YouTube. She was a little shy about the whole thing - couldn't understand why everyone was making such a fuss. Love it.
There are times when I look on computer and find something that touches me. Never knowing how I found it. Happy you all feel the 'same' way. The main thing that impressed me was how 'real' she was. Most elderly people strike me as dropping some kind of covering and allowing their 'real' selves to come through. There is quote,
'can't put young head on old shoulders'. The wisdom older folks project; if only they were allowed the time for someone to listen. You had the right description, 'hoot'! She would appreciate that.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Master Chef

I really ejoyed watching and listening to this very sweet lady. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I really ejoyed watching and listening to this very sweet lady. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Good! I sincerely feel the 'more' the better that give her the time she deserves. Reminds me of a book I once read and movie I saw on tv where Jack Lemon played a man who was dying. I think Jack Lemon is gone now too, isn't he? I thought he always played a good part no matter what movie he was in. I apologize for not recalling the book OR the movie. I am sure someone knows who I mean.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Good! I sincerely feel the 'more' the better that give her the time she deserves. Reminds me of a book I once read and movie I saw on tv where Jack Lemon played a man who was dying. I think Jack Lemon is gone now too, isn't he? I thought he always played a good part no matter what movie he was in. I apologize for not recalling the book OR the movie. I am sure someone knows who I mean.
I think you're referring to "Tuesdays with Morrie."

I wish we had videos when my Gram was alive. It would have been wonderful to preserve her cooking all the traditional Jewish recipes she made so well, and with such love.

I'm just glad we have all the recipes.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I wish we had videos when my Gram was alive.
Me too...I would love to watch my grandmother make biscuits one more time...I have a recipe of sorts that I wrote down...She didn't use one...."Just put some flour in a bowl, and add some Lard/shortening" -- How much shortening Grandma??? "Oh..I dunno...maybe a piece about the size of a Hen egg" .. She didn't roll them out, she just kinda "choked off" some dough...gentle rolled it into a ball...then lightly patted it out in the pan...She always made two pans, and cooked them separately..When the first pan was all gone, the second pan was just coming out of the oven Anyway...Mine never were as good as hers...Had to be the way she handled the dough...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Sous Chef

What a neat video. We take so much for granted these days.