Memories from my trip to Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
2czq91t.jpg

9a4f3c.jpg

lk3kl.jpg

2rfrio2.jpg

iync6v.jpg

i4iwr7.jpg

I'm curious about how the wages compare with the prices.

I'm too old to be climbing coconut palms in search of dinner! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Now I get it. High cost of living = homelessness.

I have a friend who used to be a fireman in Hilo. He was telling me that city workers in the State of Hawaii were the lowest paid compared among other city/government workers in the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Hmm... that's less than I pay for eggs. Probably because they do have chickens there. :ermm:

I can see the high cost being justified for other items, since all of these products that are manufactured on the mainland have to be flown in. Alaska is the same way.

I have friends who visit Hawaii every year and stay for a month at a time. They usually rent a house and stock their fridge with groceries from the farm markets. He says they can get local fish, beef, dairy, and vegetables at fairly reasonable prices by shopping this way (although still somewhat higher than what we're used to).

I think he's dead.

My girlfriend and I (when I lived there for a year) used to go down to Waikiki and watch the old ladies come out from a Don Ho show. The look on their faces were priceless. A lot of these women were God fearing, good Christians. They were horrified. Don Ho put on one of the dirtiest shows on the beach. Funny thing though. You saw very few who got up and left in the beginning of the show. :angel:

Hmm... that's less than I pay for eggs. Probably because they do have chickens there. :ermm:

I can see the high cost being justified for other items, since all of these products that are manufactured on the mainland have to be flown in. Alaska is the same way.

I have friends who visit Hawaii every year and stay for a month at a time. They usually rent a house and stock their fridge with groceries from the farm markets. He says they can get local fish, beef, dairy, and vegetables at fairly reasonable prices by shopping this way (although still somewhat higher than what we're used to).

Yep, for the most part we do our own cooking when we are on Kauai and there are food bargains to be found if you shop like the locals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom