"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

My dad was a chef. He owned and ran a diner type restaurant and, later ran a chain of inplant cafeterias. He didn't cook much at home except for shish kebab on the grill. He didn't have to, Mom was a great cook.

He used to dictate recipes for the cafeterias to me and I would type them onto notebook paper for him on an old protable typewriter.

He died when I was 16.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

My dad, who recently retired to Florida always worked two jobs, and then spent the entire weekend working around the house. However, he loved to make breakfast on Saturday morning. (Sunday was always breakfast from the bakery after church). His specialty was pancakes. He used the Aunt Jemima mix and blended it in the blender. ( I shudder at how he overworked those glutens, but that's another post, I suppose) Then, he'd pour that thin thin thin batter onto the hot grill in the most amazing shapes...hearts, airplanes, mickey mouse heads! We'd eat them up like crazy. He did the same for my kids when they were little.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thank you so much

I can't tell you all how much your sharing your memories about your dads has meant to me. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, but they are heart warming tears. Bless you all. JoAnn
Old 08-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I still have my sweet dad with me, God Bless him. With three daughters, he was a very strict Puerto Rican father, but he has mellowed so much thru the years. He never was one to cook, but my memories of him in the kitchen is of mornings before school. My mom was off to work before he was so he would make cocoa and peanut butter sandwiches or oatmeal for my sister and I, and we would sit at the kitchen table listening to his favorite morning radio show. (those were the days before tv).
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
My dad died this past May so it is still a grieving time for me right now.

He was not particularly fussy with food as we were growing up..my mum was such a wonderful cook that he was happy to eat whatever she put in front of him. But......he made Cucumber Relish every year. Now this was a time to dread as he messed the kitchen up so bad that mum took a week to get it shipshape again! He would have sticky relishy gunk on every cupboard door, on the floor, window ledges you name it, it was sticky.
Dad often used to cook our Sunday roast, and until the day he left to go astral travelling, he ate every seasonal vegetable at the time, always steamed, with a roast. I once counted 11 different vegetables in the steamers.

Also in these past few years, he took up preserving and baking. Banana Cake and Date Loaf were his specialties. He hardly ever ate them himself, they were given away. His jams and marmalades...well....lets just say a drop of pectin would not have gone amiss lolol. He loved cooking in his final years and that was wonderful to see.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

My Dad was the greatest---when our mother was dying of breast cancer at age 30 he made sure that the four of us (ages 9,8,6,3) were dressed, fed, did our homework, tucked in at night and there to hold us when she finally passed away. Then when dear old Uncle Sam decided that he had to go to Viet Nam anyway, despite this tragedy, no kidding, he remarried and off he went. Luckily, he made it through Viet Nam and went on to be awarded the Silver Star for much bravery under the line of fire---his favorite recipe to cook for us was to take hot dogs, slice them longwise, insert cheese, and wrap in bacon and grill. OMG were they to die for. I miss him. If your dads are alive today let them know how much you love and appreciate them--you'll make their day!!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

My dad,
he and I were always like two peas in a pod.I remember he hate to go out to dinner, but did he ever love good food. He didn't cook often, but at times would lend a hand if mom was not feeling well or busy. I remember the hamburgers that he made. They had to be cooked in a cast iron skillet with only salt in the bottom, thick, juicy, med rare, then put on a toasted and buttered bun and he would provide us with cheese, sliced tomato, sliced onion the works to put on it. On fridays he loved creamed tuna on toast, my mom hated it and I wasn't nuts about it, but that was dinner He made the best soup,he loved oysters as did I so he'd get fresh ones, put them in half and half with some butter, salt and pepper and a shot of worchestershire, and pass oyster crackers and the two of us just pigged out. But, the recipe I loved most was the one for his pinto beans. I still make those as even my kids and the grandkids love them too.
Sometime I'll relate the story of the turkey dressing and the 20 or so herbs he got me to make We expect them to always be strong and at arms length, and then they are gone and we feel that ache in our hearts forever.

kadesma
Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

That's our Dads--aches in the hearts! Moms, too!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
All i remember of my pops was when he would make me pb and j's, all on one piece of bread, and he would wipe the knife off on top of the folded bread. Sounds silly, but I didn't talk to my dad for almost 12 years and that is one of the ONLY food memories I have of him. He is now, one of my best friends, and I create the food memories.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I still have my dad. I grew up in Australia and my dad was from Yorkshire.

He weaned me on lamb's brains. He used to make lambs fry (liver) and bacon in a thick gravy. He would make mince and Yorkshire Pudding on a monday, using up last nights roast meat. When we grew older he would make a dry Sri lankan curry with the left over meat.

He made the best chips ever, his parents owned a Yorkshire Chippy, so he knew just how to do them right.

Now my dad struggles to make a sandwich, he can't remember the curries anymore...........

But I won't ever forget. he taught me how to use everything and let nothing go to waste.

Oh and there's nothing black pepper and worcestershire sauce can't fix!!!