"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Reading these posts does make me a bit sad, but another thought comes to mind also: How blessed we are to be able to share memories of someone who meant so much to us and to have had that person in our lives. I certainly appreciate all the stories I've read here.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

My dad never really cooked. He manned the BBQ, but it was mom who did all the prep.

The one time I do remember my dad cooking was a story we still joke about to this day.

My moms parents had just moved to Florida. Mom was taking a vacation alone to go down and help them get settled in. This was the first time ever that she had left my dad, brother, and myself alone. She pre-made a whole bunch of meals so we would not starve to death and also left dad with some basic recipes in case he needed to cook something. One of the recipes was for meatloaf. Well the three guys decided we wanted to make the meatloaf one night. We followed moms instructions to a T. While dad was forming the loaf he accidentally dropped it on the floor. Being the guys that we were, we just picked it up and dusted it off and kept right on going with the prep. We cooked the thing and served it. It was completely flavorless, but it held it's shape better than any meatloaf any of us had ever seen. We now always joke that they key to a good meatloaf is dropping it on the floor. Mom was never game to give that a try though

Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Oh my, I almost told myself not to read this thread because I'd end up doing exactly what I'm doing - crying and laughing at the same time. What wonderful stories and what wonderful Dads!!

My Dad was not my real father, but he was my DAD!! He couldn't cook if his life depended on it. But - he & I loved Leiderkranz (sp?) cheese and crackers. I probably learned to love this awful cheese just to have the time with him.

My fondest memory of him was when he'd walk thru the door after work, mom always got home before him so she would have dinner going, and he'd say, "What smells so good?" But, he only said that when she was frying up hamburger and onions for some dish. What makes that so funny was my mother was known at that time as a 'gourmet' cook - she was a wonderful, inventive cook, but Dad only said that to hamburger and onions frying!!

He's been gone almost 30 years, but it's like yesterday and I miss him...

(good think I don't wear makeup - I'd be a mess!!)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
My Dad was not my real father, but he was my DAD

cjs same thing with me. he's raised me since i was under 6 months old.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Middie, weren't we the lucky ones??? (Dad always said he was the lucky one, he never had children of his own)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #26
Head Chef

My dad wasn't much of a cook, but boy, was he an eater. His joke, after every big holiday meal, was. "That was great--now, when do we eat?"

He always thanked my mom after every meal--"That was great, hun."

And if there is a buffet in heaven, and I am sure there is, he is first in line.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My dad was not a cook at all, I don't recall him making anything more than toasts, but we had a special bond. I was a very difficult child, who didn't get along well with other children and was always stressed out with my mother, it was like he was the only one with whom I could understand each other. He was a photographer, loved to sail, a free spirit, every time I hear the song "Captain and the Kid" by Jimmy Buffett, I think of him.

It has been 20 years since he left me and this world (when I was 14), but his spirit and memory lives on in the special corner of my heart.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
He was a photographer, loved to sail, a free spirit
I wonder if I was born to the wrong dad. This sounds like me
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I wonder if I was born to the wrong dad. This sounds like me
I don't know but did this brother of yours moved to Texas long time ago? He could well have been the GM of the cafè where I worked at back in San Antonio... One day an employee dropped a trayful of chicken breasts to be roasted in the oven on the floor, and he tried to tell him to wash the chicken and redress and go ahead and cook them, insisting "Oh, it will be just fine!!"

(well... in the end our head chef talked him out of it... the GM grudgingly tossed them out!)
Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #30
Cook

I was adopted--my dad & mom were not my bio parents but they were my parents, for better and for worse. My dad was the greatest. For anyone who still has their parents--cherish the time you can spend with them and if fences need to be mended, please mend them.