Memories Of Our Dads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dad died 3 years ago on Christmas morning and I really miss him. He was not the type to say "warm, fuzzy daddy stuff", but I always knew that if I ever needed him, he'd do anything for me. He was in the Navy for 21 years so he was gone a lot when I was young. But I remember when he was home, he would make bacon, eggs and pancakes on Sunday morning. He was a math wiz and could do long, complicated calculations in his head. He was 1/2 Creek Indian and I get my dark skin from him. I was always proud that I look a lot like him. I don't know if this is weird but I have some of his ashes in an urn. It makes me feel like a part of him is always with me.

What a great thread! Luckily I still have my Mom & Dad, though they're getting on in years. I talk to them every few days (between the two of 'em they have 3 cell phones!). Every summer my Dad & I take a fishing trip to Canada, to the same little camp he's been going to every year for 30+ years. Dad's had a lot of health problems; it used to frighten & worry me, and I felt like we were on borrowed time. But over time I've grown to accept that we're all on borrowed time, no matter how young or invincible we think we are. I will treasure all my family for as long as we have each other, and after that, those of use who remain will treasure the the memories. That's what family means to me.:)

Btw, my Dad cooks about 30 dishes. In reality, they're all really just chili, goulash or stew, but I never mention that to him!;):ROFLMAO:

He died in 04 in a car crash, took me two years to find out where he was buried and what caused the crash.. I don't miss him.
Sorry.
You know Buddy, while it would be wonderful if you had had a good relationship with your dad, it seems that you didn't so it is okay not to miss him. You don't need to apologise for it. They are your feelings. It is hard to be honest about these things at times, so good on you for admitting it -to yourself I mean.

My father generally liked to cook fish curries and he was used to give so much turmeric that our hands remain yellowish for days.

My dad was always the cook in the house, still is with just he and Mom at home now. My Dad was Mr. Mom, and worked as a teacher also. I'm not sure why he kept up most of the household "mom" type chores, my mom was able and worked from home while we were little. It's not like she didn't care what the house looked like, she just made him do most of it. Not sure why he didn't leave her 30 years ago.
Anyway my dad is an awesome cook, now that we are older and I volunteer to do most of the holidays, I think he gets a little bummed that he doesn't get to! Superbowl is one of his big food days, he'll be ok. I won't ever take that one away from him.

You know, I guess I never realized how many of us have lost our Dads and how special most of them were to us. Thanks JoAnn for starting this thread way back when. I remember reading it then, but I just couldn't post much in it then.

My Dad had lots of specialties. He did a killer clam chowder, a coleslaw that gets raves (I posted it somewhere here) and many other things. He was also a fresh food guy. Grew the best tomatoes you've ever seen and made killer tomato sandwiches. I think what I remember best about my Dad and his food prep was his incredibly meticulous style. He would shred that cabbage with a special chinese blade and make each cut exactly the same as the last one. He took great pride in his work and made sure everything was "just so". And you know, I might be a bit slapdash in the kitchen, but there are a few things I never shirk. Cleaning my knives is one. LOL. I miss Dad every day, but the ache is a little softer reading your stories too. Thanks all.

What a warming thread, my Dad has been gone 17 yrs.. Never cooked much, would start supper for Mom when she had to work. A very quiet and gentle man, but my rock! His lap was my spot during a lightning storm. He taught me to drive a stick shift out on country roads. We fished and squirrel hunted together. Everyone called him Pappy, I sure do miss him - Love you Daddy !!

Now if you asked the same question about my Mother, there would be many happy and treasured memoris but sadly there are none that I remember with pleasure concerning my Father.

this thread made me remember my Grandpa--at every blessing over the food he'd say "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, the one who eats the fastest gets the most" and my very Catholic, religious Grandma would loudly exclaim "Papa" and swat him---he'd just grin from ear to ear--he loved to wart her--I know I got my sense of fun from him

I've been watching this thread for days now. I didn't know what to write since I don't want to think of Dad passing on since he's been rather ill lately. I remember Dad making the most amazing "carne guisada" (beef tips) with Spanish rice. He would even make us homemade flour tortillas when mom couldn't do it. He'd get all of us and our families together when he'd grill the most amazing bbq's. I clearly remember his smile filled with pride when he got compliments on his food. That was his excuse to get us all together. I miss those days.

My daddy has passed as well, about 5 years ago on December 2nd. I remember the phone call from my mom so well. Anyhow, boy what a cook he was and he LOVED to cook! I suppose that is where my passion for cooking came from. Oh he made some awesome stuff. One thing that he was most famous for (I never really liked it cuz of the onions) was his jalapeno corn bread. People were constantly asking him to make a pan of it for them. Calling it jalapeno corn bread was quite and understatement since in had hamburger, onions, jalapenos, cheddar, and a few other ingredients. People loved it.

Now the things I liked and were my favorites were his butter beans that stewed all day with bacon. Of course when he made butter beans, dad and I would see who could say butter bean 10 times the fastest. I got better as the years went by and started beating him.

His smoked brisket with beer that he would start at 6 am in the morning.

Okra gumbo... not one of my favorites, but he loved experimenting with this dish.

Zucchini bread.

OH OH OH.... and his FRENCH TOAST!!! I would love waking up to the smell of that in the morning!!! He put pepper on it which at the time I thought was odd, but it tasted ohhhhhh soooooo gooood!!!!

Those are just a few things... but like others have mentioned, I sure do miss my daddy. I love him with all my heart and do wish he was here today so that he could enjoy my cooking!

Thanks for starting this thread... it has touched many of us!

My daddy died in 1973 when I was in my early twenties. I was only around him and learned about him until I was 18, when I left home and married. He was an awesome man. So talented. A caring father and fantastic physician. He was a dirt poor country boy who was the first in his family to go to college. Medical school to boot!

He didn't have time nor the inclination to cook, save for the obligatory time presiding over the charcoal grill in the summertime. However, he LOVED to eat and savored a fine meal. He knew good food and truly enjoyed it. It was always a treat to go out to dinner with him.

Daddy was the person who taught me the joys of a rare steak. Pure heaven. I still don't understand how he stomached my mothers overdone beef shingles she cooked. Her steaks were so overdone it nearly took a chainsaw to cut them. Yuck.

At any rate, I so loved to cook for him and had plenty occasions to do so since he and my mother separated numerous times, often the better part of a year many times, during my time with them. Since I was the oldest, I was charged with taking over the household when our mother was absent.

Even though daddy loved and savored gourmet food, his simple upbringing was still his base. He often asked me to prepare beef hash, fruited Jell-O, buttered green beans, and his all-time favorite dessert, rice krispies treats.

He is with me every time I prepare those dishes, especially the rice krispies treats. He could eat them by the plateful.

It's been 35 years, but I still miss my daddy very, very much. We were best friends even though for a short time.

Last edited:
Chicken Adobo.
He learned it in the Philippines...

One cut up chicken
1 medium onion, cut into 8ths
5-10 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 oz or so Soy sauce

Layer chicken, onions and garlic into pot just big enough
to hold it. Add soy and vinegar, fill pot with water.
Heat to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 45 minutes.

Man I love that stuff!

Unfortunately, it was also the meal I cooked for him the night he
passed away, so I haven't really gotten around to having it again, yet.

Oh boy!

Back
Top Bottom