"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #41
Executive Chef

My dad died 3 years ago on Christmas morning and I really miss him. He was not the type to say "warm, fuzzy daddy stuff", but I always knew that if I ever needed him, he'd do anything for me. He was in the Navy for 21 years so he was gone a lot when I was young. But I remember when he was home, he would make bacon, eggs and pancakes on Sunday morning. He was a math wiz and could do long, complicated calculations in his head. He was 1/2 Creek Indian and I get my dark skin from him. I was always proud that I look a lot like him. I don't know if this is weird but I have some of his ashes in an urn. It makes me feel like a part of him is always with me.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #42
Head Chef

What a great thread! Luckily I still have my Mom & Dad, though they're getting on in years. I talk to them every few days (between the two of 'em they have 3 cell phones!). Every summer my Dad & I take a fishing trip to Canada, to the same little camp he's been going to every year for 30+ years. Dad's had a lot of health problems; it used to frighten & worry me, and I felt like we were on borrowed time. But over time I've grown to accept that we're all on borrowed time, no matter how young or invincible we think we are. I will treasure all my family for as long as we have each other, and after that, those of use who remain will treasure the the memories. That's what family means to me.

Btw, my Dad cooks about 30 dishes. In reality, they're all really just chili, goulash or stew, but I never mention that to him!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
He died in 04 in a car crash, took me two years to find out where he was buried and what caused the crash.. I don't miss him.
Sorry.
You know Buddy, while it would be wonderful if you had had a good relationship with your dad, it seems that you didn't so it is okay not to miss him. You don't need to apologise for it. They are your feelings. It is hard to be honest about these things at times, so good on you for admitting it -to yourself I mean.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 AM   #44
Sous Chef

My father generally liked to cook fish curries and he was used to give so much turmeric that our hands remain yellowish for days.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My dad was always the cook in the house, still is with just he and Mom at home now. My Dad was Mr. Mom, and worked as a teacher also. I'm not sure why he kept up most of the household "mom" type chores, my mom was able and worked from home while we were little. It's not like she didn't care what the house looked like, she just made him do most of it. Not sure why he didn't leave her 30 years ago.
Anyway my dad is an awesome cook, now that we are older and I volunteer to do most of the holidays, I think he gets a little bummed that he doesn't get to! Superbowl is one of his big food days, he'll be ok. I won't ever take that one away from him.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #46
Everymom

You know, I guess I never realized how many of us have lost our Dads and how special most of them were to us. Thanks JoAnn for starting this thread way back when. I remember reading it then, but I just couldn't post much in it then.

My Dad had lots of specialties. He did a killer clam chowder, a coleslaw that gets raves (I posted it somewhere here) and many other things. He was also a fresh food guy. Grew the best tomatoes you've ever seen and made killer tomato sandwiches. I think what I remember best about my Dad and his food prep was his incredibly meticulous style. He would shred that cabbage with a special chinese blade and make each cut exactly the same as the last one. He took great pride in his work and made sure everything was "just so". And you know, I might be a bit slapdash in the kitchen, but there are a few things I never shirk. Cleaning my knives is one. LOL. I miss Dad every day, but the ache is a little softer reading your stories too. Thanks all.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #47
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
What a warming thread, my Dad has been gone 17 yrs.. Never cooked much, would start supper for Mom when she had to work. A very quiet and gentle man, but my rock! His lap was my spot during a lightning storm. He taught me to drive a stick shift out on country roads. We fished and squirrel hunted together. Everyone called him Pappy, I sure do miss him - Love you Daddy !!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Now if you asked the same question about my Mother, there would be many happy and treasured memoris but sadly there are none that I remember with pleasure concerning my Father.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #49
Master Chef

this thread made me remember my Grandpa--at every blessing over the food he'd say "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, the one who eats the fastest gets the most" and my very Catholic, religious Grandma would loudly exclaim "Papa" and swat him---he'd just grin from ear to ear--he loved to wart her--I know I got my sense of fun from him
Old 02-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I've been watching this thread for days now. I didn't know what to write since I don't want to think of Dad passing on since he's been rather ill lately. I remember Dad making the most amazing "carne guisada" (beef tips) with Spanish rice. He would even make us homemade flour tortillas when mom couldn't do it. He'd get all of us and our families together when he'd grill the most amazing bbq's. I clearly remember his smile filled with pride when he got compliments on his food. That was his excuse to get us all together. I miss those days.