"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #51
Master Chef
My daddy has passed as well, about 5 years ago on December 2nd. I remember the phone call from my mom so well. Anyhow, boy what a cook he was and he LOVED to cook! I suppose that is where my passion for cooking came from. Oh he made some awesome stuff. One thing that he was most famous for (I never really liked it cuz of the onions) was his jalapeno corn bread. People were constantly asking him to make a pan of it for them. Calling it jalapeno corn bread was quite and understatement since in had hamburger, onions, jalapenos, cheddar, and a few other ingredients. People loved it.

Now the things I liked and were my favorites were his butter beans that stewed all day with bacon. Of course when he made butter beans, dad and I would see who could say butter bean 10 times the fastest. I got better as the years went by and started beating him.

His smoked brisket with beer that he would start at 6 am in the morning.

Okra gumbo... not one of my favorites, but he loved experimenting with this dish.

Zucchini bread.

OH OH OH.... and his FRENCH TOAST!!! I would love waking up to the smell of that in the morning!!! He put pepper on it which at the time I thought was odd, but it tasted ohhhhhh soooooo gooood!!!!

Those are just a few things... but like others have mentioned, I sure do miss my daddy. I love him with all my heart and do wish he was here today so that he could enjoy my cooking!

Thanks for starting this thread... it has touched many of us!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My daddy died in 1973 when I was in my early twenties. I was only around him and learned about him until I was 18, when I left home and married. He was an awesome man. So talented. A caring father and fantastic physician. He was a dirt poor country boy who was the first in his family to go to college. Medical school to boot!

He didn't have time nor the inclination to cook, save for the obligatory time presiding over the charcoal grill in the summertime. However, he LOVED to eat and savored a fine meal. He knew good food and truly enjoyed it. It was always a treat to go out to dinner with him.

Daddy was the person who taught me the joys of a rare steak. Pure heaven. I still don't understand how he stomached my mothers overdone beef shingles she cooked. Her steaks were so overdone it nearly took a chainsaw to cut them. Yuck.

At any rate, I so loved to cook for him and had plenty occasions to do so since he and my mother separated numerous times, often the better part of a year many times, during my time with them. Since I was the oldest, I was charged with taking over the household when our mother was absent.

Even though daddy loved and savored gourmet food, his simple upbringing was still his base. He often asked me to prepare beef hash, fruited Jell-O, buttered green beans, and his all-time favorite dessert, rice krispies treats.

He is with me every time I prepare those dishes, especially the rice krispies treats. He could eat them by the plateful.

It's been 35 years, but I still miss my daddy very, very much. We were best friends even though for a short time.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #53
Head Chef
Chicken Adobo.
He learned it in the Philippines...

One cut up chicken
1 medium onion, cut into 8ths
5-10 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 oz or so Soy sauce

Layer chicken, onions and garlic into pot just big enough
to hold it. Add soy and vinegar, fill pot with water.
Heat to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 45 minutes.

Man I love that stuff!

Unfortunately, it was also the meal I cooked for him the night he
passed away, so I haven't really gotten around to having it again, yet.

Oh boy!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote