Memories Of Our Dads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading these posts does make me a bit sad, but another thought comes to mind also: How blessed we are to be able to share memories of someone who meant so much to us and to have had that person in our lives. I certainly appreciate all the stories I've read here.

My dad never really cooked. He manned the BBQ, but it was mom who did all the prep.

The one time I do remember my dad cooking was a story we still joke about to this day.

My moms parents had just moved to Florida. Mom was taking a vacation alone to go down and help them get settled in. This was the first time ever that she had left my dad, brother, and myself alone. She pre-made a whole bunch of meals so we would not starve to death and also left dad with some basic recipes in case he needed to cook something. One of the recipes was for meatloaf. Well the three guys decided we wanted to make the meatloaf one night. We followed moms instructions to a T. While dad was forming the loaf he accidentally dropped it on the floor. Being the guys that we were, we just picked it up and dusted it off and kept right on going with the prep. We cooked the thing and served it. It was completely flavorless, but it held it's shape better than any meatloaf any of us had ever seen. We now always joke that they key to a good meatloaf is dropping it on the floor. Mom was never game to give that a try though :LOL:

Oh my, I almost told myself not to read this thread because I'd end up doing exactly what I'm doing - crying and laughing at the same time. What wonderful stories and what wonderful Dads!!

My Dad was not my real father, but he was my DAD!! He couldn't cook if his life depended on it. But - he & I loved Leiderkranz (sp?) cheese and crackers. I probably learned to love this awful cheese just to have the time with him.

My fondest memory of him was when he'd walk thru the door after work, mom always got home before him so she would have dinner going, and he'd say, "What smells so good?" But, he only said that when she was frying up hamburger and onions for some dish. What makes that so funny was my mother was known at that time as a 'gourmet' cook - she was a wonderful, inventive cook, but Dad only said that to hamburger and onions frying!!

He's been gone almost 30 years, but it's like yesterday and I miss him...

(good think I don't wear makeup - I'd be a mess!!)

My Dad was not my real father, but he was my DAD

cjs same thing with me. he's raised me since i was under 6 months old.

My dad wasn't much of a cook, but boy, was he an eater. His joke, after every big holiday meal, was. "That was great--now, when do we eat?"

He always thanked my mom after every meal--"That was great, hun."

And if there is a buffet in heaven, and I am sure there is, he is first in line.

My dad was not a cook at all, I don't recall him making anything more than toasts, but we had a special bond. I was a very difficult child, who didn't get along well with other children and was always stressed out with my mother, it was like he was the only one with whom I could understand each other. He was a photographer, loved to sail, a free spirit, every time I hear the song "Captain and the Kid" by Jimmy Buffett, I think of him.

It has been 20 years since he left me and this world (when I was 14), but his spirit and memory lives on in the special corner of my heart.

GB said:
I wonder if I was born to the wrong dad. This sounds like me :LOL:

I don't know but did this brother of yours moved to Texas long time ago? He could well have been the GM of the cafè where I worked at back in San Antonio... One day an employee dropped a trayful of chicken breasts to be roasted in the oven on the floor, and he tried to tell him to wash the chicken and redress and go ahead and cook them, insisting "Oh, it will be just fine!!":ohmy:

(well... in the end our head chef talked him out of it... the GM grudgingly tossed them out!)

I was adopted--my dad & mom were not my bio parents but they were my parents, for better and for worse. My dad was the greatest. For anyone who still has their parents--cherish the time you can spend with them and if fences need to be mended, please mend them.

My dad's speciality was grilling almost anything on the grill. He would help my mom cook bacon or sausage when we went camping. But she did the majority of the cooking.

Once when I was about 8 years old my mom was in the hospital. During that time we lived on beans and weenies, tomato soup (he made the canned soup with water) and grilled cheese sammies, and PB&J sandwiches.

My mom made his lunch everyday when he went to work and it was always the same. Two slices of bread with butter on one side and ketchup on the other. The ketchup side was spread with sweet pickle relish and for meat it always was bologna. With the sandwich he had applesauce or fruit cocktail, a small bag of chips, and usually a dessert that my mom made.

Lately, he has made venison jerky when he shoots a deer during his hunting trips. I am not fond of venison steaks, etc. but I love his venison jerky.

When my mom and dad first got married money was extemely tight with them. Mom made my dad's lunch and used the bag that the bread came in to wrap it. One day he started to eat his lunch and found nothing but slices of bread - no pbj, no other filling. Rather than be embarrassed about the mistake, he kept putting 2 slices together until he finished. He said it took a quart of milk to wash all that bread down. He was very careful afterward to get the right bag.

My Dad was an Army cook during the second world war. Don't have many memories of him as he kicked me out when I was 17 but I did go home to say goodbye to him just before he passed away some four weeks back. It was sad even after all the years.

I lost my dad when I was 6. Actually, he was in the VA hospital from the time I was 2, so, I don't remember him. I hear stories about him and wish like heck he had lived.
My stepdad liked to cook steaks on the grill, other than that, I don't really remember him cooking. Mom did most of it in our house.

Memories of our dads.

I started this thread back in 2006. I know we have a lot of new members and I thought would like to read these post and let us know about the memories they have of their dad's. JoAnn

...He always thanked my mom after every meal--"That was great, hun."...
Did we have the same dad? LOL Come to think of it, my dad was from Missouri! :LOL: My dad said the same exact thing to my mom after meals. He would also sometimes say, "You're a good cooker," or "That was so good, I'm all fed up!"

My dad never cooked. He would fix himself a sandwich or something now and then, but my mom cooked the meals. He didn't like cooking, but he did like home cooked meals (he was tired of his own cooking, as a bachelor!). Before they married, he told my mom that if she ever gave him a TV dinner, he would go to a restaurant! I'm not sure if he really would have (especially if she weren't feeling well), but she never found out. Although he didn't cook, he did stop and get KFC, pizza, or burgers on his way home from work sometimes, and we went out for lunch most Sundays after church so my mom would have a break from the kitchen. My mom has been gone for a little over 7 years now, so he does have to fix his own meals now, and he probably eats out more than he used to.

:)Barbara

Dad was a very gentle and kind man. I could talk to him and he would really listen. I miss him very much.

I've said those exact words, many times.

The only cooking I ever saw my dad do was making scrambled eggs or Bisquick pancakes on Sunday night. Other than that, the men in my family never cooked. Period.

called mine pop

i am seventy years old, and i still miss my pop. he married my mom when i was seven years old. he was a kind and considerate and encouraging dad.

he was into healthy cooking before it was chic. he always had a garden, many veg. we ate fish usually he would broil it. many nights in season he would make so many vegs. we didn't need meat.

oh and he ate a bowl of oatmeal before bed, every night.

we lived in the south, land of lard and cool whip. don't know where he got his ideas about food.

when i was divorcing at forty he was always at the foot of ramp when i would once again fly home.

he has been dead about eight years, i miss him a lot. we all need our pops

babe:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pdswife said it best: do you guys know how lucky you are?

Some great stuff here, very touching...

I don't have many good memories of my father, but I always try and look at the bright side of things, so here goes:

His favorite thing to make for himself was a butter and onion sandwich, said it never failed to clear his sinus' right up!

For the family the things I loved the most were: Beer brats and steaks on the grill, his chili, and his navy bean soup with ham hock. His chili was always served spooned over corn bread and topped with additional onions and cheese. Sour cream was a no no so we never had it. The Navy Bean soup we spooned over buttered bread, which somehow worked well :). And lastly, but definitely not least, were the products of our hunting and fishing: Deer, rabbit, pheasant, quail, and always plenty of pan fish my favorite being the Walleye we would go up to Canada and fish for.

He died in 04 in a car crash, took me two years to find out where he was buried and what caused the crash.. I don't miss him.
Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom