"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Master Chef

Memories Of Our Dads

Did your dad cook a meal that was your favorite? On Sunday before Mass dad would put a beef roast in the oven. When we got home he would make mashed potatoes and then he made a plain lettuce salad, but the way he cut the vegetables into small pieces, it made it so special. Dad was a very gentle and kind man. I could talk to him and he would really listen. I miss him very much.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Yes he used to make steak on the grill with beer poure onto it lol.
He also made me potato soup which he knew I loved. Especially
if I went to visit him during the winter time. I'd walk in and the soup
was ready. It's only been a little over 3 months since I lost him and
I'm still in shock. I feel lonely, empty, and abandoned. Still having a
very hard time. It's even worse when I pick up the phone to call him
which I still do from time to time.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
My dad was a pastry chef.. he made Cupcakes for school we had a cupcake day and all the teachers would buy my dads as they had 3D characters made out of gel icing on top... parents were asked to make a dozen every other week

LOL my dad ended up having to make 6-7 dz each week

Im fortunate to still have my dad.. and whenever we do get togheter we try to bake a cake.. its how we communicate.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Cook

My dad was the greatest. He wasn't a cook, but he built a bbq pit out of brick with great smoking capabilities and mom always did the bbq with homemade sauce. I always baked a dessert for my dad (almost every day) when I was a kid. I miss my dad too. He's been gone since November 1993. He was my best friend--I miss my friend.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

My dd didn't do much cooking but a few things he did very simply. I remember when I was 5 years old and got a new baby sister, he let me stand in a chair and wash dishes while he dried them. I think I played in the water more than washed the dishes and he had to mop the floor when I finished, but I felt like I was really something. I am the oldest in my family and dad was always my biggest fan in whatever I did. At my recitals, he clapped the loudest and when my report card came home, he was always proud of me. He has been gone 16 years next month and I still miss him. My sister and I were priviledged to take care of him the last months of his life and he knew how much we loved him.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My dd didn't do ANY cooking, come to think of it, neither does the DH . My dad was the kindest, gentlest person I ever knew, he has been gone over 18 years now, and I think of him every day, it just doesn't ever get any easier, does it?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Do you guys know how very very lucky you are?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My Dad was not a cook in any real sense of the word, but man oh man, did he enjoy a great meal, and didn't hesitate to compliment the cook! It really made you want to do it all over again!

He did make 3 or 4 things... Herring with Sour Cream, Cocktail Sauce and Thousand Island Dressing (the only salad dressing he would eat -- on a wedge of iceberg! ) When I wrote my cookbook, I included the salad dressing AND the cocktail sauce. He was surprised, but he really liked that.

Middie, I understand.... I talked to my Dad every day for the last year and a half of his life, including the night before he died. It was a long time before I stopped picking up the phone every night at 9 to call him.... He died 4 years ago next month, just 11 months after my mom.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Oh my favorite was my dads clam chowdah and clam cakes. Wish I had his recipe, it was so delicious. That was about all he cooked, my mom was the cook of the family. Sadly both are gone now, but the smell of their delicious meals lives on
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I got up every morning at 5 with my Dad. I'd watch him make his coffee ( boiled in a pot gack),. It was my job to get his lunch bucket out of the fridge. We would sit there as he drank his coffee, me my milk, and I'd send him on his way. He could fry eggs, but not much else. Gawd I miss him.