Memories of You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
JoAnn's thread about grandfathers reminded me of something that's been on my mind recently - how do you want to be remembered? Are you pretty happy with what you've done/been so far, or are you still a work in progress?

I'm definitely a work in progress, but I hope I will be remembered for always opening my doors to friends and for being a loving wife and mother.

It's so funny that you ask this now Mudbug... I'm going through a midlife crisis. I woke up a few weeks ago and realized that I'd spent the first part of my life taking care of my mother ( she had man, drug and booze problems) then I had my son when I was 19 and spent the next part of my life taking care of him. The last ten years... I've taken care of Paul.

In all those years... I've forgotten ME!!!
And I'm at a crossroads in life. Not sure where I want to go or what I want to do. All I know is I haven't done enough and if I were to die tomorrow
I'd go "unfinished".

Pds, I've been feeling the same way lately. I've woken up with the same question on my mind for the past few weeks "Who am I?" My mom said to me the other day that she & dad were going through pictures of me as a baby & daddy said that "I was always such a happy baby, always laughing & smiling, what happened to that carefree laughter & smile?" I guess I thought it was still there. Here I go crying for what seems like the millionth time this week!

I guess I'd like to be remembered as someone who was open minded, caring, a loving friend, mother, wife, daughter, & sister, & someone who was always willing to give a helping hand.

Alix said:
I'm definitely a work in progress, but I hope I will be remembered for always opening my doors to friends and for being a loving wife and mother.

Mission accomplished. :)

First of all, I dont intend to go anywhere that will require people to actually remember me. I understand about death and all...but I'm hoping in my case that someone will make an exception.

Now, having said that, if I absolutely had to go tonight, then I know I'd be missed by a great many people. I know I've touched people in more positive ways than negative. I known people will miss the laughter and lust. And, I know people will starve.:LOL:

But, this is moot...as I have no intention of leaving until I'm good and ready.

I feel kind of odd saying this as I have had a full and rich life. I've never been wealthy, or even very comfortable financially, though I've never truly been without, either. Instead of putting my efforts into gaining weath and material possesions, I've invested most of my time and efforts into a few things I hold dear. First, I am a family man. Since I was in my mid-teens, I hungerd to create my own family. And though I participated in extreme sports like dirt biking, downhil skiing (and yes it's extreme if you did it like I did it), and survived a host of adventures, my life wasn't complete until I was married and had children. When that happened, the toys went away.

I want to be remembered as a dad, not necessarily a father, but a dad, someone who loved his children more than anything else in the world, except of course for my wife and Heavenly Father. I want to be remembered as an honest man who acted with integrity and honor. I want to be remembered as a man with no predjudice against any other. I want to be remembered as a peacemaker.

Mostly, I want to be remembered as the father who taught his children that buiding each succeeding family better than the one before, is their ultimate goal.

As for what I would like you to remember about me is that I really do care about all of the DC group, as much as I care for my fellow church members, and freinds who live close by. And the things I share are not shared so that you can say "Wow, that Goodweed is a great guy!", which I'm sure doesn't happen much anyway, but are shared because they are of worth to me, and hopefully will give something of worth to you (seems everyone likes the pancake recipe:)).

I want to be a contributor, not a taker. And I can't stress enough, I want to be remembered as Dad and husband.

For Crewsk, Pdswife, Mudbug, Alix, and everyone who reads this, To enjoy life, you must extend yourself to others. In service to others, especially to those you love, is found the fullfillment of life. My children return to me tenfold what I gave to them. They respect me, tease me, love me, and sometimes even worry about me (though they still don't do the dishes:ROFLMAO:). What more in life could I possibly desire? The same is true of my co-workers and freinds.

Be who you are. Take little pleasures for yourself and accept grattitude graciously. And when someone tells you that you are loved, or special, then believe them. For it is very true.

Maybe because of anonymity and the lack of pressure, we can be better on this site than in the mundane day to day lives we live. But if you look at a flower and really see the color, and the beatiful patterns of the petals, or if you can revel in the aroma of a clear autumn day, with leaves all over the ground, then maybe life can be a joyfull thing.

Litterally, we are who we choose to be. We enjoy what we choose to enjoy. If you concentrate on the comfort of a freshly cleaned bathroom, rather than the task of cleaning the toilet, then the chore becomes mroe enjoyable, and a sense of satisfaction in a job well done becomes a pleasant reward.

We are all of us, works in progress. No person should ever be content with who they are, but rather, should look forward to who they can be.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ken said:
Mission accomplished. :)

You're the sweetest Ken!!!!

Heck, I started crying just reading mudbugs initial post. I feel sure I will be remembed as a giver, not a taker.

I'm with VeraBlue on - some people are going to go hungry without me!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, very literally I have asked that my ashes are made into diamonds and these are turned into studs for my husbands dress shirt and cufflinks so that he can still take me out in the evenings. He will be earings for me if the other way around. So I guess we will remmeber each other often.

Otherwise, I guess I don't care if anyone else remembers me besides my family and friends, or at least that I do no harm that I am remembered for. I have lived in a home tht was my mother in laws for three years - she died over eight years ago but little has changed and we have been tied to it because the rest of the family (though now living in a different country) will in no way, change, rent or sell it. This is remberance but it is good or healthy. It would be better to let go of the physicality of her now, imho

I am most definitely a work in progress, and I doubt I will ever acheive everything I want, but I want to try! I try and live a moral life and to answer to my own actions, I try and impact as little on the planet as I can, I try and help people when I can and I speak out for what I believe in. If people remember those things, then I will be more than grateful.

pdswife said:
In all those years... I've forgotten ME!!!
And I'm at a crossroads in life. Not sure where I want to go or what I want to do. All I know is I haven't done enough and if I were to die tomorrow
I'd go "unfinished".

When I joined the Navy I faced a crossroads. I had the opportunity to be stationed in Bremerton, Wa (close to home) or go to Connecticut. I didn't join the Navy to stay home, so I chose Connecticut. Being so far away from family forced me to grow up quick. I feel that I have seen and done a lot of things in my life so far.

The moral of the story is maybe you need a major life change like moving out of the PNW. Just something to think about. I'm sure Paul loves it there being a hunter and all, but he could back during hunting season, right?

When I'm gone I'm sure not many people will remember me at least not until it's time to eat. I work hard at trying to please people and do things for folks but this day and age not many appriciate it.Thats ok too at least I know what I have done. Most the folks that would remember me are already gone.

Back
Top Bottom