"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
DC's Angel

My Mother's father changed my life one day when he took me into his darkroom and showed me how to develop a roll of film. I can still hear his thick rich Swiss accent, "Und ziss is ze time ven ve add ze fixatif into ze tank."
My fascination with that process led to my interest in photography, a degree in professional photography from RIT and a career of film and video production. Even though he's long gone I still thank him frequently for the interest he took in me.
Just remembered; he even wrote with an accent. He owned a weaving mill. One day I was walking throught the mill and saw a note he had hung on some old machinery: "These looms to be chunked."

Thanks for the opportunity to remember him.
Buck

Old 10-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

You guys are fortunate to have happy memories of your grandfathers. I never knew either of mine. They never had the chance to emigrate to the USA. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I never knew either of my grandfathers. My Mom's dad died 7 years before I was born, he was the assistant postmaster at New Castle Indiana. And I am still investigating the story surrounding my fathers' father. My dad's mom died when my dad was 6, and he was taken away from his father to be raised by his aunt, his mom's sister and her husband. It was this man who us kids called, grampa, but he was no blood relative. He was the greatest. We would visit him, he never came to our house. It was a day's trip by car, in the 1950's. He was always so glad to see us kids. He had a woodworking shop in the basement and would make us toys while we visited. He was widowed and lived alone by the time I came along. I believe he was a banker. Here is a picture of him with me and my sister, I am the shorter one. I hope this picture shows the type of person he was, so kind and gentle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrampaBethBarbara (3).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	2031  
Old 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thank you so much for showing us this picture. I love old photo's. You are right, he does look like a very warm and loving man.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We never knew anyone on my mother's side - when she left (married my dad) she REALLY left and never kept in contact with ANYONE. I didn't know my grandfather at all on my father's side as I was too young when he passed away.

I love reading your stories - they are so very sweet!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
Head Chef

My dad's dad apparently went our for a loaf of bread when my dad was five years old, and never came back.

My mom's dad died years before I was born.

My dad's mom I also never knew.

And my mom's mom was a nasty old lady (not my opinion, just that of everyone who knew her) who died when I was a child.

So have no good memories of grandparents.

Am happy you have yours.

Like elf, I enjoy reading your stories, but must admit the experience is a bit bittersweet.

God bless.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I never knew either of my grandfathers. My Mom's dad died 7 years before I was born, he was the assistant postmaster at New Castle Indiana. And I am still investigating the story surrounding my fathers' father. My dad's mom died when my dad was 6, and he was taken away from his father to be raised by his aunt, his mom's sister and her husband. It was this man who us kids called, grampa, but he was no blood relative. He was the greatest. We would visit him, he never came to our house. It was a day's trip by car, in the 1950's. He was always so glad to see us kids. He had a woodworking shop in the basement and would make us toys while we visited. He was widowed and lived alone by the time I came along. I believe he was a banker. Here is a picture of him with me and my sister, I am the shorter one. I hope this picture shows the type of person he was, so kind and gentle.
Bethzaring, I absolutely love the clothes the young girls are wearing! The shoes and hats are lovely!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Bethzaring, I absolutely love the clothes the young girls are wearing! The shoes and hats are lovely!
gosh VB, thanks! My mom made the dresses and may have made the hats too, I can't tell from the picture. My mom made all our dresses, play clothes, pajamas, coats, slippers, some hats. We were some well dressed kids, she did amazing work on the sewing machine.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Head Chef

I never met either of my grandfathers, but have heard a few things about them.

My maternal grandfather was retired from the Air Force as a Master Sargeant. He smoked and drank a lot and died rather young of cirrhosis.

I know a bit more of my paternal grandfather, although he died before my dad met my mom. He was a carpenter by trade, and evidently a very good one. He pre-cut all his lumber before assembling something. For instance, if he was building rafters for a roof, he would cut everything to length with a handsaw - compound angles and all - on the ground. then he brought everything up on the roof and nailed it together. That is amazing to me! He was a true DIYer. He built a doodlebug tractor and taught my dad (the only boy of 4 kids) how to drive with it. My dad loved that tractor, and to this day he has always had a tractor of his own. Actually he bought an old doodlebug a few years back. Maybe he will get it running by the time my son is old enough to drive it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Cook

My grandfather passed away about 40 years ago, but I still remember him, and my grandmother.
He made braces for a living, ( the sort that hold your trousers up ) and later had a sweet shop. He was injured quite badly in the First World War, and lost most of the use in his left hand. He was a gentle, emotional man who I was very fond of.
I wonder what he would have made of the internet and the fact that I'm remembering him publicly so long after his death.