Men's dress shirt collar stains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wrigley

Assistant Cook
This is my first time posting and am wondering if anyone has any tried and true solutions to getting those nasty sweat stains from the collars and cuffs of men's dress shirts.

This is my first time posting and am wondering if anyone has any tried and true solutions to getting those nasty sweat stains from the collars and cuffs of men's dress shirts.

I'm not sure, it hasn't come up before! I'm sure someone may be able to help.

Anyway, welcome to our Cooking Forum.

Now many pretreatments exist that should do the job but, this mixture will do the job in many cases.

1 part each of Vinegar, ammonia, wisk, and water.

Put it in a spray bottle and use like a pretreatment.

Also a paste of Barkeepers friend has worked.

I would not use these on an expensive shirt. If you try it use a shirt that is on its way to the rag bag and see if you like the results.

Oyx Clean Pre-treatment spray, in my personal experience, has even gotten out large amounts of dried blood stains from tan dress slacks. (An inexperienced nurse removing an I.V. - what a mess!) It also saved a brand new shirt that had spilled ink on it (my own clumsy fault). That sold me on it!

Oyx Clean Pre-treatment spray, in my personal experience, has even gotten out large amounts of dried blood stains from tan dress slacks. (An inexperienced nurse removing an I.V. - what a mess!) It also saved a brand new shirt that had spilled ink on it (my own clumsy fault). That sold me on it!

Hah! I bet I can make a better mess, seeing as how I have experience now!:angel::ROFLMAO:

I've found a spray of zout or similar product sprayed on generously and let soak for a half hour or so, then a wash in hot water. Oxy powder works best in hot water, and grease dissolves better in hot water .... my husband has oily skin so hot water is the answer. You can take a fingernail or tooth brush to the stains with your detergent, but the brushing of the collar will considerably shorten the life of the shirt. Once a week I do one load of laundry in hot water because of my husband's oily complexion (things like pillowcases, etc) and I'd add the dress shirt to that load, use the oxy, and let the entire load soak for an hour or so, then reset the washer. Works almost always.

Men who wear dress shirts have dirty necks?? :ermm:

:LOL: Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Proud Widow and mother of men who get dirty for a living.)

I swear by Oxy Clean.

Last edited:
I use Oxy Clean also. I dampen the shirt collar and pour the Oxy Clean on the neck - sometimes using a brush. Also, I insist DH never wear the shirt but once before laundering.

All I can think of is that silly old ring-around-the-collar commercial. I don't remember the name of the product.

Calgon. "Ancient Chinese secret huh???"

And here's another vote for oxiclean. I like the stick, but the powder made into a paste works too.

Oxyclean powder in a small container mixed with water, soak just the collar area overnight or longer, then launder. Works for pit stains too!

Last edited:
roadfix said:
All I can think of is that silly old ring-around-the-collar commercial. I don't remember the name of the product.

Are you sure you're not talking about lipstick stains?

Wasn't that commercial for a product called "Whisk" or was it for Woolite?

Also be careful how long you soak something that isn't white in OxyClean. I had a bad experience when soaking for two days, not only did the wine stain come out, but the color came out of the garment :(

Last edited:
Just throw the shirt into a pot with cold water, put it on the stove add some soap and some bleach, bring it to the boil and boil for few minutes.

You see, folks, this is after all cooking forum, not laundry forum, it must have been cooking related if somebody is asking a question, so we have to make sure to make cooking related answer.
But in all the truth the above method will lift any stain. Guaranteed.

P.S. Use wooden spoon to stear it.

Last edited:
Just throw the shirt into a pot with cold water, put it on the stove add some soap and some bleach, bring it to the boil and boil for few minutes.

You see, folks, this is after all cooking forum, not laundry forum, it must have been cooking related if somebody is asking a question, so we have to make sure to make cooking related answer.
But in all the truth the above method will lift any stain. Guaranteed.

P.S. Use wooden spoon to stear it.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ah, the smell of boiled sweaty clothing ...now we know why Granny did her laundry outside!

The best solution, move to California, where business casual means you have to wear shoes, and business professional means you have to wear shoes, and socks.

does anyone remember fels naptha soap? i know, i am old. lol. it worked wonders on collars and grass stains on kids jeans knees. i don't do either anymore, so don't know if it is still on the market or not.

Back
Top Bottom