"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

In Australia we changed over to metric in the early seventies. It was pretty painless for me because I was only a child. My older sisters were envious of me because I didn't have to learn measures such as chains, furlongs, fathoms, bushells, stones, acres etc.

In general, pound measures are not used much even by the elderly for personal weight but heights measured in feet and inches have been the most resistant to change (I think of my height as 5' 5"). Metric measures for distances and speeds are firmly entrenced.

My recollection is that the conversion happened, completely, wholeheartedly, and within a short space of time. There was none of the silly nonsense I saw passing for metric in the UK such as cartons containing 586 ml of milk. (Hopefully that has changed)

There are still some dual measuring devices available such as measuring cups and some tape measures because people still access old (and overseas) recipes and sewing patterns.

I really don't understand why the US is so resistant. US scientists and traders have to use metric. Why shouldn't the rest of the country have the benefits of decimal calculations?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef

politicians are deathly afraid of not being elected beacuse angry housewives are against them and their metric cause.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal
I really don't understand why the US is so resistant. US scientists and traders have to use metric. Why shouldn't the rest of the country have the benefits of decimal calculations?
To the best of my knowledge, I have never been deprived of metric calculations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
politicians are deathly afraid of not being elected beacuse angry housewives are against them and their metric cause.
I try to follow these things but this political metric cause you speak of has so far, escped my notice. There certainly are issues "politicians are deathly afraid of" but quarts vrs. liters isn't one of them.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

What a wonderful thought that housewives somewhere in the world have such clout. I suppose I should expect this from a country that provides the very best and the very worst of freedoms (e.g. thoughts and creativity vs guns and greedy televangelists)
Old 07-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't think it's the housewives that are preventing the implementation of the metric system in the US. Sadly, I don't think they have that kind of governmental influence.

I think it may be a combination of business pressures to avoid the conversion costs and there may be a jingoistic attitude against implementing a "foreign" system when there's nothing wrong with the "American" system.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Conversion has basically taken place...we will always be able to buy measuring cups and spoons in both systems just as we can now. No one will take our cookbooks or our 5 qt dutch ovens from us. But seriously, if you buy a 2 qt saucepan from a worldwide manufacturer you get a 1.8 qt saucepan. That 1 lb can of beans is 15 1/2 oz but drain off the liquid and you get 12 oz net wgt. Our pound of coffee is 12 oz cause 3 of them equal close to a kilo. etc.. The 4x4 at the lumber yard is what size really?? go measure it. American manufacturers know they are selling to Mexico and Canada and overseas, just as we are buying from them.

Delaware had a metric highway a few years back because it was the law if you got federal funds for new construction. So it was all measured out in Kilometers (Except the Speed Limits for obvious reasons), but the law didn't get renewed in the 90s so all new signs were put up with miles .

It is not business or science or education, but the American homebody.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
As someone who was born and raised in America, moved to Moscow, Russia in 1992 then to Germany in 2004 (and I honestly don't remember anything being in ANY kind of imperial measurement in Russia), ....
Wow, some traveler you. The only inches used in Russia are the pipe thread, I doubt you hadto deal with pipe repair while there. (Actually, what were you doing there?)
Old 07-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Conversion has basically taken place...
I agree.
Quote:
That 1 lb can of beans is 15 1/2 oz but drain off the liquid and you get 12 oz net wgt.
Does it say 1 lb anywhere on the can? Is anyone suprised to find liquid inside? or that the liquid has weight?
Quote:
Our pound of coffee is 12 oz cause 3 of them equal close to a kilo.
Huh?
Quote:
The 4x4 at the lumber yard is what size really?? go measure it.
Measure the rough sawn piece before trimming and curing and it will be exactly 4x4.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal
In Australia we changed over to metric in the early seventies. It was pretty painless for me because I was only a child. My older sisters were envious of me because I didn't have to learn measures such as chains, furlongs, fathoms, bushells, stones, acres etc.

Metric measurements are ok, unless you want to maintain older non-metric dimensioned equipment. Additionally I do not believe they are applicable for the measurement of earth time.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Senior Cook

[quote=Robo410]Conversion has basically taken place...

I do not see anything in metric in the grocery store..
I wish, it would be so much easier!
Inches I'm kinda ok with by now. Cooking ? Still easier in metric, not to mention how much more accurate .Baking I can not even immagine not in metric.
On the other hand I understand converting would be costly.
Still hoping though!