Metric System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mitmondol said:
Robo410 said:
Conversion has basically taken place...
:huh:
I do not see anything in metric in the grocery store..
I wish, it would be so much easier!
Inches I'm kinda ok with by now. Cooking ? Still easier in metric, not to mention how much more accurate .Baking I can not even immagine not in metric.
On the other hand I understand converting would be costly.
Still hoping though!;)
Virtually everything in my cupboard has weight listed in pounds and ounces as well as grams, or volume in quarts, gallons etc as well as liters. If you need to see produce and meat prices listed by pound and kilogram insist on the information before paying and get your like-minded brethren to do likewise. Before too long the increased number of checkout-clerks necessary to maintain the corporately decreed number of customers per line will cost far more than just displaying the price in both units.

I don't ask this sarcastically. Once you get the stuff home from the grocery store, what is stopping you from cooking or baking in metric units?

I had never considered the cost of converting to metric. The road signs alone would likely be prohibitive.

Weird question for you all in the US. Don't your speedometers read in km/hr as well as m/hr? I know any cars built in the US and shipped here have it, so I just assumed it was in both for you too. Is that the case or no?

I don't ask this sarcastically. Once you get the stuff home from the grocery store, what is stopping you from cooking or baking in metric units?[/quote]

Nothing, only recipes that are in ounces etc. And when it comes to volume, it is nearly impossible to convert!
It is not a real problem, since I don't really measure anything when I cook. I have enough experience so I don't have to.
Baking though is a totally different story.
You could probably say it's easy for me to find metric much easier, that's what I used most of my life.
That is true, on the other hand it IS much easier! All you have to remember is 10 and its multiplies!
1 mm x 10= 1 cm x 10 = 1 dm x 10 = 1 m

1 gr x 10 = 1 dkg x 100 = 1 kg
;)

Mitmondol, I'm confused. Do you use the metric system or not? And forgive me, but as someone who uses both in the kitchen daily, I am not understanding your difficulty. Is it that things are not marked in both when you buy them? or is it your own measuring tools that don't have both? I find the conversions simple, but as I said I have used them all my life. And I'm not a slave to it, I know that a pound of meat is roughly 500g so I calculate that roughly when I'm purchasing.

Alix said:
[Weird question for you all in the US. Don't your speedometers read in km/hr as well as m/hr? I know any cars built in the US and shipped here have it, so I just assumed it was in both for you too. Is that the case or no?
Yes our cars have both markings as well.

I'm sorry, I'm not talking about having much difficulties personally.
I'm only trying to say that metric is a lot simpler, easier.
In baking a lb roughly 1/2 kg won't cut it though..
It's tru , after many years I still don't "feel" ounces etc. If you tell me 15 dkg butter, I know exactly what amount you mean. If you tell me 1 lb 4 oz of flour, I have to figure it out.
As I said, it's not a problem when I cook because I don't really need measurements. Not a problem when I shop, I can judge how much I need of something without measurements, metric or othetwise.
All I was trying to say, metric makes a lot morte sence. I have no problems

Ah thanks for the clarification mitmondol. I understand now. I think for you, metric is what you think in so it is easier to use. For many here, imperial is what they think in so trying to figure out dkg would melt their synapses.

I agree that you can be more precise when using metric. I don't agree that most baking requires it though. You can do just fine with a recipe calling for 250 g and you using 8 oz of something.

GB, thanks for the answer to the car bit.

GB said:
Yes our cars have both markings as well.
None the less, if you change 55 MPH signs to 88 KPH you'll get morons going 140 MPH and claiming to be under the speed limit.;)

I don't object to changing the highway signs, but showing both seems preferable to solely metric.

I don't object to changing the highway signs, but showing both seems preferable to solely metric.

I don't understand this comment skilletlicker. If a changeover happened then no one could claim ignorance. Even if they did, I suspect in the US, as in Canada ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.

And no matter what, going 140 km/hour would be WAY over any posted speed limit.(Unless you are on the Autobahn) I can't even imagine a car that would do 140 m/hour without being on the racing circuit. ;)

I have one but I don't race it. I've never driven it that fast but would if I knew I wasn't going to get arrested!

Alix said:
I don't understand this comment skilletlicker. If a changeover happened then no one could claim ignorance. Even if they did, I suspect in the US, as in Canada ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.

And no matter what, going 140 km/hour would be WAY over any posted speed limit.(Unless you are on the Autobahn) I can't even imagine a car that would do 140 m/hour without being on the racing circuit. ;)
Maybe you missed the wink. I didn't claim it would excuse the act; only that some dummy would say it. I would still prefer to see both for a while but it isn't a huge deal to me.

By the way, almost 40 years ago I did 135 across Alligator Alley in souped up GTO.

IMHO, it would cost companies and consumers way to much to convert. There are millions of things that are based on measurements. Look under the tongue of your sneaker...there's like 5 diffrent sizes. And I wouldn't be a 30" inseam anymore, I'd be some sorta centimeters???

In construction, they only use US measurements. I'd hate to have the first house built after the swap.

135 mph is pretty quick, skill. you need a lot of straightaway just to be able to get up to that speed.

i buy my skates and wheels in metric sizes, and some of my ski equipment too. for instance, my skate boot is 28 cm, and my wheels are 88mm. my skis are 195 cm. it's not hard once you get used to it.

it's ridiculous for anyone to have a problem with a base 10 system. think of how our money works.

i say we make all of our numbering systems in hexadecimal. then you'd better not go any faster than 4F in a 41 mph zone.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
135 mph is pretty quick, skill. you need a lot of straightaway just to be able to get up to that speed.
At the time Alligator Alley was a narrow two lane highway running straight as an arrow through the Everglades between Fort Lauderdale and Naples Florida. Basically a 75 mile (120km) drag strip.

Last edited:
Alix said:

it's a bit off topic, but happened last sunday...

we were on our way back home on the A2 with about 180km/h (about 112mph) when from the back a porsche came "flying".. with all his lights in the front he made Frank change the lane... it was obviously an american porsche, you could see at the signs.. don't know from were, for that it was much too fast.. We guessed about 250-280km/h (155-174mph)... speeding right into the road works area with a speed limit (YES! We have speed limits here!) of 80km/h (50mph)... lucky driver, no controlling there, but I know some americans who got speeding tickets and wondered why... :cool:

okay, back to topic..
I don't know anything else than metric... your US system is a riddle to me, I will never understand... I look it up in a book our in the net...

Back
Top Bottom