"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #31
Everymom

Quote:
I don't object to changing the highway signs, but showing both seems preferable to solely metric.
I don't understand this comment skilletlicker. If a changeover happened then no one could claim ignorance. Even if they did, I suspect in the US, as in Canada ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.

And no matter what, going 140 km/hour would be WAY over any posted speed limit.(Unless you are on the Autobahn) I can't even imagine a car that would do 140 m/hour without being on the racing circuit.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I have one but I don't race it. I've never driven it that fast but would if I knew I wasn't going to get arrested!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I don't understand this comment skilletlicker. If a changeover happened then no one could claim ignorance. Even if they did, I suspect in the US, as in Canada ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it.

And no matter what, going 140 km/hour would be WAY over any posted speed limit.(Unless you are on the Autobahn) I can't even imagine a car that would do 140 m/hour without being on the racing circuit.
Maybe you missed the wink. I didn't claim it would excuse the act; only that some dummy would say it. I would still prefer to see both for a while but it isn't a huge deal to me.

By the way, almost 40 years ago I did 135 across Alligator Alley in souped up GTO.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #34
Everymom

Did miss the wink...oops.

And you did 135??? Naughty boy!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #35
Executive Chef

IMHO, it would cost companies and consumers way to much to convert. There are millions of things that are based on measurements. Look under the tongue of your sneaker...there's like 5 diffrent sizes. And I wouldn't be a 30" inseam anymore, I'd be some sorta centimeters???

In construction, they only use US measurements. I'd hate to have the first house built after the swap.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

135 mph is pretty quick, skill. you need a lot of straightaway just to be able to get up to that speed.

i buy my skates and wheels in metric sizes, and some of my ski equipment too. for instance, my skate boot is 28 cm, and my wheels are 88mm. my skis are 195 cm. it's not hard once you get used to it.

it's ridiculous for anyone to have a problem with a base 10 system. think of how our money works.

i say we make all of our numbering systems in hexadecimal. then you'd better not go any faster than 4F in a 41 mph zone.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
135 mph is pretty quick, skill. you need a lot of straightaway just to be able to get up to that speed.
At the time Alligator Alley was a narrow two lane highway running straight as an arrow through the Everglades between Fort Lauderdale and Naples Florida. Basically a 75 mile (120km) drag strip.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
it's a bit off topic, but happened last sunday...

we were on our way back home on the A2 with about 180km/h (about 112mph) when from the back a porsche came "flying".. with all his lights in the front he made Frank change the lane... it was obviously an american porsche, you could see at the signs.. don't know from were, for that it was much too fast.. We guessed about 250-280km/h (155-174mph)... speeding right into the road works area with a speed limit (YES! We have speed limits here!) of 80km/h (50mph)... lucky driver, no controlling there, but I know some americans who got speeding tickets and wondered why...

okay, back to topic..
I don't know anything else than metric... your US system is a riddle to me, I will never understand... I look it up in a book our in the net...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i say we make all of our numbering systems in hexadecimal. then you'd better not go any faster than 4F in a 41 mph zone.
79 MPH or 79KPH?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara
.... your US system is a riddle to me, I will never understand...
It is because it makes absolutelly no sence, none what so ever.