Metric System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Ok, I just heard on the radio this morning that there are only 3 countries in the entire world that DON'T use the metric system. US, Liberia and Myanmar. How weird is THAT?

I wasn't advocating change at all. Just thought it was an interesting mix of countries. I also thought it was sort of amazing that there are only 3 countries that don't have metric. I can convert in my head because we have been metric since I was a kid, but living next door to the US we have lots of imperial measurements kicking around.

Ooooo...yet another random thought. "Imperial" measurement implies there is a king or someone mandating the system doesn't it? LOL. US certainly doesn't have that!

I do advocate the change all the time. But the other day I was dealing with this fake Jewels saler and everything was in metric. Here I am I grew up with metric, it is all I knew till I was 30 and I got stumbled, i could not figure out, or rather couldn't see it in my head how big the jewls were going to be. Had to figure out in inches, silly me. But I would still love to have everything in metric. To be completely fair I have to mention that all the pipe threads in Russia were in inches, they never changed.

BTW, how about Canada, or as my son says Canenada?

As someone who was born and raised in America, moved to Moscow, Russia in 1992 then to Germany in 2004 (and I honestly don't remember anything being in ANY kind of imperial measurement in Russia), this is something that can be really confusing on some levels, but automatic on others. For example, temp is never an issue, I have the conversions memorized. Same with volume measurments and lenghts. But some of it can be tough. It'd be nice if the US would convert.

And the UK should probably start using kilometers instead of miles, too. UK still uses imperial for some things.

You're right, though, Alex... what an odd assortment of countries still using Imperial. Hmm.

I'm am 100% for a conversion to metric. It would make life so much easier.

I often switch my scale from ounces to grams when I have to do some calculations on the weight of foods. That makes it vastly easier to deal with.

Andy M. said:
I am too. I think it is crazy we have not changed over. Metric makes so much more sense.

Andy M. said:

I often switch my scale from ounces to grams when I have to do some calculations on the weight of foods. That makes it vastly easier to deal with.
being in Canada I have grown up with metric, but I still get ounces better then grams and inches better then centimeters. But I completely agree with the temp thing, imperial temp is so very confusing!

Whoops! sorry I abandoned you there, had to go back to work. LOL.

Charlie, in Canada we do everything in metric. BUT...we still have imperial measures visible in some places. We weigh ourselves in pounds for example. And give our height in feet and inches. All my measuring cups have both systems of measurement on them. And many rulers do too. Sewing and cooking often require you to be able to convert easily as they can be either one. I can't think of other examples at the moment, but I am sure there are some.

I just think it is odd that metric is universally accepted by almost the entire world. I had NO idea it was so far flung.

Andy M. said:
When I make bread I useally weigh everthing in grams. It seems easier and more accurate for small quantities also.

In Australia we changed over to metric in the early seventies. It was pretty painless for me because I was only a child. My older sisters were envious of me because I didn't have to learn measures such as chains, furlongs, fathoms, bushells, stones, acres etc.

In general, pound measures are not used much even by the elderly for personal weight but heights measured in feet and inches have been the most resistant to change (I think of my height as 5' 5"). Metric measures for distances and speeds are firmly entrenced.

My recollection is that the conversion happened, completely, wholeheartedly, and within a short space of time. There was none of the silly nonsense I saw passing for metric in the UK such as cartons containing 586 ml of milk. (Hopefully that has changed)

There are still some dual measuring devices available such as measuring cups and some tape measures because people still access old (and overseas) recipes and sewing patterns.

I really don't understand why the US is so resistant. US scientists and traders have to use metric. Why shouldn't the rest of the country have the benefits of decimal calculations?

politicians are deathly afraid of not being elected beacuse angry housewives are against them and their metric cause.

Ozgal said:
I really don't understand why the US is so resistant. US scientists and traders have to use metric. Why shouldn't the rest of the country have the benefits of decimal calculations?
To the best of my knowledge, I have never been deprived of metric calculations.
Robo410 said:
politicians are deathly afraid of not being elected beacuse angry housewives are against them and their metric cause.
I try to follow these things but this political metric cause you speak of has so far, escped my notice. There certainly are issues "politicians are deathly afraid of" but quarts vrs. liters isn't one of them.

What a wonderful thought that housewives somewhere in the world have such clout. I suppose I should expect this from a country that provides the very best and the very worst of freedoms (e.g. thoughts and creativity vs guns and greedy televangelists)

I don't think it's the housewives that are preventing the implementation of the metric system in the US. Sadly, I don't think they have that kind of governmental influence.

I think it may be a combination of business pressures to avoid the conversion costs and there may be a jingoistic attitude against implementing a "foreign" system when there's nothing wrong with the "American" system.

Conversion has basically taken place...we will always be able to buy measuring cups and spoons in both systems just as we can now. No one will take our cookbooks or our 5 qt dutch ovens from us. But seriously, if you buy a 2 qt saucepan from a worldwide manufacturer you get a 1.8 qt saucepan. That 1 lb can of beans is 15 1/2 oz but drain off the liquid and you get 12 oz net wgt. Our pound of coffee is 12 oz cause 3 of them equal close to a kilo. etc.. The 4x4 at the lumber yard is what size really?? go measure it. American manufacturers know they are selling to Mexico and Canada and overseas, just as we are buying from them.

Delaware had a metric highway a few years back because it was the law if you got federal funds for new construction. So it was all measured out in Kilometers (Except the Speed Limits for obvious reasons), but the law didn't get renewed in the 90s so all new signs were put up with miles .

It is not business or science or education, but the American homebody.

velochic said:
As someone who was born and raised in America, moved to Moscow, Russia in 1992 then to Germany in 2004 (and I honestly don't remember anything being in ANY kind of imperial measurement in Russia), ....

Wow, some traveler you. The only inches used in Russia are the pipe thread, I doubt you hadto deal with pipe repair while there. (Actually, what were you doing there?)

Robo410 said:
Conversion has basically taken place...
I agree.
Robo410 said:
That 1 lb can of beans is 15 1/2 oz but drain off the liquid and you get 12 oz net wgt.
Does it say 1 lb anywhere on the can? Is anyone suprised to find liquid inside? or that the liquid has weight?
Robo410 said:
Our pound of coffee is 12 oz cause 3 of them equal close to a kilo.
Huh?
Robo410 said:
The 4x4 at the lumber yard is what size really?? go measure it.
Measure the rough sawn piece before trimming and curing and it will be exactly 4x4.

Ozgal said:
In Australia we changed over to metric in the early seventies. It was pretty painless for me because I was only a child. My older sisters were envious of me because I didn't have to learn measures such as chains, furlongs, fathoms, bushells, stones, acres etc.

Metric measurements are ok, unless you want to maintain older non-metric dimensioned equipment. Additionally I do not believe they are applicable for the measurement of earth time.

Robo410 said:
Conversion has basically taken place...:huh:

I do not see anything in metric in the grocery store..
I wish, it would be so much easier!
Inches I'm kinda ok with by now. Cooking ? Still easier in metric, not to mention how much more accurate .Baking I can not even immagine not in metric.
On the other hand I understand converting would be costly.
Still hoping though!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom