"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A very nice lady (she knows who she is) sent me some Meyer lemons from her tree. They were excellent. I wish I could grow them here. Maybe in a container, not too heavy since I have steps.

I still owe her something grown here, but this last year was bad for huckleberries and cherries.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to get more--GONE! However, there was one pound on the 50% off table. Grabbed that. Supposedly they will have more next week. My plan was to buy a few pounds and juice them (if I could resist eating them). Next week, hopefully. Just like the first time I tried poutine, I'm hooked on Meyer lemons!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I live in NW Florida and had three Meyer lemon trees for several years. One of them produced so many the first year one of the branches broke. It was my fault. I should have clipped a couple off. Then we had a really bas deep freeze spell one year and that did them in. I want to plant some more and also try a Blood orange tree again. The blood orange tree produced one wonderful orange before it's demise.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I bought a half dozen Meyer Lemons today. My first time with this fruit. Too full from munching other stuff all day to give them a true taste test. I haven't seen them in stores here previous, although that's probably me overlooking them when in season and trying to find them at the wrong time of year. I think I will have one for a taste test at breakfast and then make something with them tomorrow. Not sure what to make, but it will be special.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I bought a half dozen Meyer Lemons today. My first time with this fruit. Too full from munching other stuff all day to give them a true taste test. I haven't seen them in stores here previous, although that's probably me overlooking them when in season and trying to find them at the wrong time of year. I think I will have one for a taste test at breakfast and then make something with them tomorrow. Not sure what to make, but it will be special.
You are showing incredible restraint.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
Executive Chef

It's not quite clear from the topic why Meyer lemons are different than garden variety lemons. Can somebody explain?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They are a bit sweeter, not as tart. Makes biting into one much easier without the pucker power of a regular lemon. The skin and pith are thinner, too. The ones I had juiced so beautifully, I felt I got more juice from them than I would have gotten from regular lemons. They are perfect for people trying to scale back on sugar!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Executive Chef

OIC