"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Meyer Lemons...

Thanks DCers, I'm now hooked on Meyer lemons...3x the price, but OH SO GOOD!!!!!!! I hope the store doesn't stop carrying them. Meyer lemons only showed up right before XMas, and I wouldn't haven't distinquished a difference between those and the ones with the big fat skins and so bitter if it hadn't been for folks here. But, when Meyer lemons aren't available locally, I imagine I will be cursing DC! Ignorance was bliss re: meyer lemons...

Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I have a Meyer lemon tree in my back yard. Unfortunately, they are seasonal. Get your fill in the winter, because you won't get them when the weather warms.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Lucky you!!! How long is the season? I'll stock up and juice them and put the juice in the freezer. Not sure if I want to grate the peel since they aren't organic. But they are from the US!! Gotta say, a wedge of a Meyer lemon, some coarse sea salt, and a shot of ice cold vodka is better than tequilla-lime-salt.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gotta say, a wedge of a Meyer lemon, some coarse sea salt, and a shot of ice cold vodka is better than tequilla-lime-salt.
mmmm Now I have a craving!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

I have a Meyer lemon in my yard also and I have a crop pretty much all year SS. Perhaps I don't have the high summer temps you do in your area of Florida.

It's no doubt they are 3X the price CWS, as they don't ship well, and are hardly ever found in grocery stores.

Try using them in Alex's Lemon Bars !! You can cut back on the sugar some.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Head Chef

I live in SE Missouri, and I have a Meyer lemon tree (well, it is too little to be a tree, just couple feet tall) in my sunroom. It spends the summer outside.

I got it from Stark Bros. Nursery two years ago. It arrived with 2 teeny lemons on it, and several flowers. Right now, it has 5 big lemons hanging on it, and I have used 3 in the last month or so.

Grow your own, C-dub!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Lucky you!!! How long is the season? I'll stock up and juice them and put the juice in the freezer. Not sure if I want to grate the peel since they aren't organic. But they are from the US!! Gotta say, a wedge of a Meyer lemon, some coarse sea salt, and a shot of ice cold vodka is better than tequilla-lime-salt.
Nooo, don't use the peel. The dyes that are allowed on citrus fruit aren't food dyes. They are toxic. Almost guaranteed they were dyed. They probably have to pick them before they turn yellow, since they are being shipped.

So, I should have gotten that small box of Meyer lemons at Costco yesterday? The sign said they cost works out to a bit less than $8/kg. That's kinda useless info for comparing, since all the stores around here sell lemons by quantity, not weight.

In what way are they better?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

They are sweeter. They don't seem to be quite as acidic as other lemons. And, the peels are thin, so you can peel them and add wedges to things (or eat as if an orange).
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Everymom

No meyer lemons here. I'll just make do with the regular kind.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
No meyer lemons here. I'll just make do with the regular kind.
Ditto here. I have never seen them here. When I went to visit my girlfriend, she has a tree just loaded with nice big ones. Bright natuaral yellow. I brought about six home with me. Before I left to come home, she was picking up the ones from the ground and tossing them in the trash. Her neighbors take them as they want.