Originally Posted by bknox
My experience with electronic ultrasonic mice zappers is that they do not work as well as they say. Traps are the best although you have to deal with the dead mice.
A word about poison: If you decide to poison the mice keep in mind they could make it back into a wall before dieing. This is a problem in itself.
Check pest control company web sites for organinc ways to control pests, but I still think traps and peanut butter will give you the fastest results.
The ones I'm using are not the ultrasonic repellants, but are actually a trap that you bait, then when the mice go in they are electrocuted and instantly killed - humanely and with no mess like the old-fashioned snapper traps or glue traps (I used snapper traps once - never again, they just upset me too much because they were so inhumane, and as I used to keep mice as pets when I was a kid, I hate having to kill them, so have to do it as humanely as possible!). I've used this type of electrocution trap in the garage (where we often have mice because of the dog food in there), for the past 2 years now, and they are very effective....a light flashes to show you've killed a mouse and need to empty the trap. We can't use poison because of the dogs - and I don't like the thought of rotting carcasses lying around the house, undiscovered!
I thought I had already sealed off every possible entry route from the garage to the house 2 years ago - but I'm going to have to search around again and try and find where they are getting in...we can't seal the garage itself because the garage doors don't quite fit at the bottom corners.
I've thought of trying the ultrasonic repellants - but, like you, don't think they would be very effective and am worried that they would drive the dogs mad too. So far the peppermint seems to be working great and I haven't seen anymore evidence of mice since I put it down