"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
Everymom

I am not sure what kinds of mouse bait would be available in the US, but here in Canada we use one that after the little mousies are dead, it dries up their little bodies so they don't stink. It has warfarin in it. Um....worked well for us. I would recommend calling an exterminator for advice or help. It is worth the $ if you truly have a problem, they will set out traps that are not harmful to kids or other pets. VERY important if you have dogs. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I am not sure what kinds of mouse bait would be available in the US, but here in Canada we use one that after the little mousies are dead, it dries up their little bodies so they don't stink. It has warfarin in it. Um....worked well for us. I would recommend calling an exterminator for advice or help. It is worth the $ if you truly have a problem, they will set out traps that are not harmful to kids or other pets. VERY important if you have dogs. Good luck.
I sold that poison in Mexico... it's good stuff.

Honestly I reocomend sticky traps in high places where your dog cant reach, yet mice amazingly can. I caught one on top of my fridge once.

Only problem is that mice are really smart so sometimes you need to fool them into getting stuck. One method is the "you never would of guessed" which in my case consists in putting a trap inside a closed bread bag. They chew their way in and get stuck.

The other method is chasing the furry little rodents into a trap, althought Im not sure if seeing you run after a mouse waving your chef knives around and yelling tribal noises wouldent put a scare into your loved ones as well.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox
My experience with electronic ultrasonic mice zappers is that they do not work as well as they say. Traps are the best although you have to deal with the dead mice.

A word about poison: If you decide to poison the mice keep in mind they could make it back into a wall before dieing. This is a problem in itself.

Check pest control company web sites for organinc ways to control pests, but I still think traps and peanut butter will give you the fastest results.

Bryan
The ones I'm using are not the ultrasonic repellants, but are actually a trap that you bait, then when the mice go in they are electrocuted and instantly killed - humanely and with no mess like the old-fashioned snapper traps or glue traps (I used snapper traps once - never again, they just upset me too much because they were so inhumane, and as I used to keep mice as pets when I was a kid, I hate having to kill them, so have to do it as humanely as possible!). I've used this type of electrocution trap in the garage (where we often have mice because of the dog food in there), for the past 2 years now, and they are very effective....a light flashes to show you've killed a mouse and need to empty the trap. We can't use poison because of the dogs - and I don't like the thought of rotting carcasses lying around the house, undiscovered!

I thought I had already sealed off every possible entry route from the garage to the house 2 years ago - but I'm going to have to search around again and try and find where they are getting in...we can't seal the garage itself because the garage doors don't quite fit at the bottom corners.

I've thought of trying the ultrasonic repellants - but, like you, don't think they would be very effective and am worried that they would drive the dogs mad too. So far the peppermint seems to be working great and I haven't seen anymore evidence of mice since I put it down