"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Mice!!!

When I had my dog-trainer friend over the other week, she brought two toys for my Great Danes to try out - both are hollow rubber toys that you fill with peanut butter or kibble (we used soy-nut butter & kibble), and the dog spends ages trying to get the food out. Well, I had a bit to drink and completely forgot that these toys had been left in the family room, in the dog's 'toy box'. Now my house has been invaded by mice...they certainly were not there before these toys arrived, and I can only think that the smell of the soy-nut butter attracted them into the house, as we always feed the dogs in the garage and don't leave food lying around. I have now spent the last 2 days deep cleaning everything and setting electronic zapper traps.... I have heard that mice are repelled by the smell of peppermint, so I've soaked some cotton balls in peppermint oil and put them in my kitchen cupboards and behind the sofas - does anyone have any other ideas on how to keep the mice away?

....needless to say, the dog toys are now confined to the garage & garden LOL!

Paint.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
get a cat !!

Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I'd love one Middie, but DH hates cats and my youngest daughter is allergic to them....I guess I could drug up daughter with Benadryl and borrow next-doors cats for a while....
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

LOL you too my answer Middie
Old 07-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
great minds gb !!!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Take a look around the outside perimeter of your house and see if you can find any tiny holes the mice may have gotten in through. They can really flatten themselves out and squeeze in, so they don't have to be big holes (like the baseboard mouse holes in cartoons!). My dad nicked the siding on their house last summer with the weed whacker and in no time flat they had a couple mice in the house. It was enough of a gap for the mice to sneak their way in.

We've had them before, too, and the best solution we've found are mouse traps set with a little peanut butter and a piece of nut on top. THe piece of nut makes the mice work harder to get the peanut butter. With the p-butter alone, once it dries some, the mice can somehow grab the treat and run without getting trapped.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Borrow a cat!

PA is the only one with any good advice for you - the rest of us are a bunch of clowns.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
PA is the only one with any good advice for you - the rest of us are a bunch of clowns.
And that's only because I have a cat that's afraid of spiders, let alone mice! We had to learn by necessity.

Reagan, my cat, will corner a spider and then sit and cry unitl I come and kill it for him.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
My experience with electronic ultrasonic mice zappers is that they do not work as well as they say. Traps are the best although you have to deal with the dead mice.

A word about poison: If you decide to poison the mice keep in mind they could make it back into a wall before dieing. This is a problem in itself.

Check pest control company web sites for organinc ways to control pests, but I still think traps and peanut butter will give you the fastest results.

Bryan
Old 07-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Mice

How I relate to this problem! For years I had mice wake me up at night with their constant gnawing and running around in the attic. My exhusband never heard them and when I would complain that they might chew on electric he dismissed it. I would set traps but they didn't find them they liked the attic better. Now that my ex is gone I called exterminator and he put some kind of sealed boxes that I open with a key to put the poison in. Since this has been done on regular basis I have not heard them up there. Must be taking care of them as long as I replenish the traps with poison. I cannot rest when I know that there maybe some kind of damage done to the house especially fire. Do you think firemen would be able to tell if the house burned down from mice? I don't hesitate to rectify pests now that I am alone. I do have peace. I would suggest these bait traps to help. Good luck with your attempts to stop them fast. Always some kind of challenge to get rid of pests.