"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Yup!! I feel like Wile E. a lot of the time!! I have SO many klutz storries!!
You and me, both! I am such a klutz and then I amaze myself, if not others when something goes right!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

boy, am i glad i don't live where you do. did you lose electric power as well? i am always glad to have my electric blanket. but then if power goes off the igniter on the heater doesn't work either. have lit all the burners on stove using a match, to keep warm. luckily it doesn't go off very often. glad you are getting things back to normal.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
boy, am i glad i don't live where you do. did you lose electric power as well? i am always glad to have my electric blanket. but then if power goes off the igniter on the heater doesn't work either. have lit all the burners on stove using a match, to keep warm. luckily it doesn't go off very often. glad you are getting things back to normal.
Didn't lose electric and as soon as hub uncovered the chimney the furnace went on with a flick of the restart button.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #44
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Yup!! I feel like Wile E. a lot of the time!! I have SO many klutz storries!!
Remember his full name (from one of the cartoons with Bugs) is Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Remember his full name (from one of the cartoons with Bugs) is Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius!!!

I loved the saturday morning 1 1/2 hour looney toons show!! I miss it!!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I loved the saturday morning 1 1/2 hour looney toons show!! I miss it!!
Me too! I do get some Tom & Jerry, but I miss all the others, Bugs, et al, Pepe Le Pew, Pinky and the Brain (really miss that one).

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #47
Master Chef

You know, when we lived in Florida and Hawaii, we lost electric power often, and sometimes for long periods (talking days and weeks, not minutes and hours). Thank heaven that hasn't happened here (knock on wood). But when our temps stayed below zero for a week or so a couple of years ago, I put a pot of water on every burner on the stove, and just kept bringing them back up to a boil. I'd already tried using the oven to heat the kitchen, but it couldn't keep up. I also every few hours ran the shower in both bathrooms until the rooms steamed. We called the people who service our heating system when it didn't seem to b keeping up, and they researched and told us what our system was supposed to handle, and a week at well below 0 wasn't it. The only rooms that were bad were the kitchen and back bathroom/laundry room, so the boiling pots on every burner, and the occaisional running of a hot shower did the trick (OK, one of the burners had some sort of chili or stew on it, which helped all around). Running the shower, boiling the water, also had the benefit of adding moisture to the air, which is a good thing when temps get that low. Oh, and I just put a soup ladle near the stove so we could have a hot cup of tea or soup at any time. I will say I slept downstairs for a few nights until the freeze passed, to keep those home fires burning safely!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #48
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Me too! I do get some Tom & Jerry, but I miss all the others, Bugs, et al, Pepe Le Pew, Pinky and the Brain (really miss that one).
Someone else who knows Pinky and the Brain!?!? I love that cartoon! Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were the best things since the original Loony Toons.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Someone else who knows Pinky and the Brain!?!? I love that cartoon! Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were the best things since the original Loony Toons.
Animaniacs Rule! Love them, especially The Baby and Buttons, I have no access to her name right now.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
You know, when we lived in Florida and Hawaii, we lost electric power often, and sometimes for long periods (talking days and weeks, not minutes and hours). Thank heaven that hasn't happened here (knock on wood). But when our temps stayed below zero for a week or so a couple of years ago, I put a pot of water on every burner on the stove, and just kept bringing them back up to a boil. I'd already tried using the oven to heat the kitchen, but it couldn't keep up. I also every few hours ran the shower in both bathrooms until the rooms steamed. We called the people who service our heating system when it didn't seem to b keeping up, and they researched and told us what our system was supposed to handle, and a week at well below 0 wasn't it. The only rooms that were bad were the kitchen and back bathroom/laundry room, so the boiling pots on every burner, and the occaisional running of a hot shower did the trick (OK, one of the burners had some sort of chili or stew on it, which helped all around). Running the shower, boiling the water, also had the benefit of adding moisture to the air, which is a good thing when temps get that low. Oh, and I just put a soup ladle near the stove so we could have a hot cup of tea or soup at any time. I will say I slept downstairs for a few nights until the freeze passed, to keep those home fires burning safely!
We lost electric in the beginning of this year (I think it was february) for 4 days. We had to go to a hotel because with no electric we had no heat OR hot water to shower (electric water heater). That really stunk big time!! Our insurance didn't cover the hotel stay OR the hundreds of dollars of food that had to be thrown out because it was "An act of God"!! What a class act that was for sure!! It was really cold and I didn't think of the boiling pots thing. I was thinking oven and with electric ignite NO oven. I have lots of candles. Next time I will do the boiling water thing and try to cook/BBQ what ever I can. I had just found out I was type 2 and was kind of not thinking straight.