Midnite Oil Cafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He did, as soon as she got her diagnosis on breast cancer. Her doctor DID NOT send her to an oncologist, he was just going to do the surgery to remove the tumor, nothing else. It took me convincing Dad that NOTHING should be done until she saw an Oncologist. By then 4 weeks had passed and he had 5 months left of family leave. She got started on chemo and radiation and the surgery took place. Dad did fine, two moths into that and it was discovered she had ovarian cancer, too. Another surgery, more chemo and radiation and Dad decided he couldn't keep up the pace and needed time at work for his own sanity. He doesn't do well sitting around waiting. It's very important for caregivers to realize they need rest too.

We talked it over and I would go down on his days on the job every other week. I'd leave here on Monday and come home on Thursday, being chauffeur to appointments and work for Mom. I'd drop off the van for Dad at the airport, sometimes we were able to meet at the airport and have dinner, catch him up on what was going on with Mom. It worked fine and Mom was able to keep going to work as she wanted and make all her appointments, but she wasn't allowed to drive because she was so anemic that she would collapse.

I lasted about 4 months (I got exhausted) and then it was almost done. Dad took the last month he had available for family leave. Mom has now finished all of her treatments and has been cancer free for 6 years. :w00t2:

I talked my daughter into joining a support group for herself. It was the best decision she ever made. Wish I could get my hands on your Mon's doctor. IDIOT! We are very lucky here in Boston. We have some of the world's top oncologists. And we are one of the world's top medical centers. Any PCP would be a dang fool to play with their patients life. As soon as a lump is found, they pick up the phone and send the patient right over to the Dana Farber Cancer Center. No messing around. There is someone waiting there for them at the ER entrance.

My sil saw his doctor at 8 a.m. and was in the oncologist's office at ten. I still remember getting the call from my daughter. Her husband called her at work with the news. She was so upset, she couldn't drive home. I told her to take a cab, and I would pay for it when she got home. She gave the keys to her car to a fellow co-worker she trusted. Another followed her and then drove her back to work. The word spread quickly and my daughter had the total support of everyone in her work. The more support you have, the better able you are to handle all the rough times. My sil was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It started in his groin and by the time he was diagnosed it was in his neck. They attacked it so aggressively with radiation and chemo. Like your mother, he too has been cancer free for more than six years. But the heavy concentration of chemo destroyed his ability to stand on his legs for any length of time. He was an iron worker. To have to retire on disability almost destroyed him as much as the chemo.

He had been working since he was 16 y.o. I lived downstairs from my daughter. Sometimes I would be out in the yard with just her, and sometimes him. So I got to have some real heart to heart talks with each of them. Stuff they didn't want to burden the other with. I never violated their trust. One day when my daughter was at work, he broke down and started crying. He just poured out his heart to me. All I could do was just be there for him. Again, that support thing. His union was able to find him a position of teaching the newest members of the union, welding. So two nights a weeks, he is able to earn some money along with his disability check. So he had the support of his union. My daughter also would come down to my apartment and break down. You just sit there and let the tears flow.

When my mother was diagnosed in 1965, there was only one machine in all of Boston for radiation. It was at MIT. And chemo was a whole new unknown field. I was her only support. I went back and forth with her five days a week, and I had four small kids. My sister lived too far away. Thank heavens for research and support groups. .

Last edited:
The Breast Cancer saved Mom's life, if that hadn't been found they would never have found the Ovarian cancer until it was too late, as it was they caught the Ovarian while it was still Stage I. Mine was fond in the opposite order, Ovarian and then Breast. Both of us have been very lucky. I am 10 years cancer free.

Support is the biggest thing that people need. If it hadn't been for work I would have gone nuts. Being with my patients let me forget that my life was heck at home. Mom felt the same way, she was textbook manager at a 2 year college bookstore, the kids there were very kind to her and kept her spirits up. I would go to work with her and do the heavy lifting...her boss wanted to hire me, I told him no...I was just keeping busy with a feather duster and helping Mom.

Another sleepless night. Pain all over from the cold and insomnia. BTW who the hell brought winter back!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! *^*&^*&^)(^%^^%$^%$##@

I tried out a new recipe for chocolate pound cake and I swear those suckers are calling my name!! I may have to put a pot of chocolate coconut kiss coffee on and whack a cake! TeeHee :LOL:

yeah, wow it seems cold out tonight. lol, i guess we got spoiled this winter. low 30's isn't really that cold.

whack a cske?

i didn't see nothing.

I'm on vacation, I don't have to do anything but laundry tomorrow...maybe a little shopping.

But, I am about ready to go to bed. The movie I'm watching is already making me cry...Eight Below. Just thinking about the movie gets me teary.

I haven't posted any cake pics yet. But if I don't fall asleep soon I may go cut a cake.

I'm on vacation, I don't have to do anything but laundry tomorrow...maybe a little shopping.

But, I am about ready to go to bed. The movie I'm watching is already making me cry...Eight Below. Just thinking about the movie gets me teary.

I guess I must be on vacation too because I always do my laundry at about 5:00am on Tuesday morning. I have to go up and down a total of 234 steps for each load so it is also sort of an exercise routine!

It sure is a lot more fun getting the clothes dirty than it is getting them clean!

Enjoy your vacation! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I guess I must be on vacation too because I always do my laundry at about 5:00am on Tuesday morning. I have to go up and down a total of 234 steps for each load so it is also sort of an exercise routine!

It sure is a lot more fun getting the clothes dirty than it is getting them clean!

Enjoy your vacation! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Thats a lot of steps.

Enjoy your vacation.

I live on the third floor and the laundry room is in the basement!

Now, about those cakes, I sure would like to be a Joisey cake whacker!:yum:
ROTFLMBO!! I may just hafta whack a cake. I gotta take it out on sumtin!! :LOL:

I am sitting here with a movie on about King George III going mad. I know the feeling. I will fall asleep about ten in the morning and the doorbell will ring and wake me up. It will be Staples with my new printer. I will just get back to sleep and Son #1 will show up with Teddy Bear looking for his treats. Son will hook up the printer. He will also unpack the new wheelchair that my daughter bought for my birthday. After he leaves (finally!) I will go back to sleep and the recreation building coordinator will call me and ask if I have her notices about Palm Sunday. I will tell her to come and get them. Try to get back to sleep and I will get another call looking for my sugar readings. By then I will give up and just stay awake. Oh well, maybe I an get some sleep Wednesday.

Oh, I forgot. I have to order a new keyboard for the computer tomorrow also. I would have ordered it tonight, but I want Son #1 to see the two I have in mind. Hopefully he can go down the street to Stapled and pick it up. Or maybe drive me there.

Last week at this time we had temps in the 80's. Tonight it is freezing out. I have the window cracked a little to get some fresh air in the apartment. And the heat is running constantly. :)

I am sitting here with a movie on about King George III going mad. I know the feeling. I will fall asleep about ten in the morning and the doorbell will ring and wake me up. It will be Staples with my new printer. I will just get back to sleep and Son #1 will show up with Teddy Bear looking for his treats. Son will hook up the printer. He will also unpack the new wheelchair that my daughter bought for my birthday. After he leaves (finally!) I will go back to sleep and the recreation building coordinator will call me and ask if I have her notices about Palm Sunday. I will tell her to come and get them. Try to get back to sleep and I will get another call looking for my sugar readings. By then I will give up and just stay awake. Oh well, maybe I an get some sleep Wednesday.

Oh, I forgot. I have to order a new keyboard for the computer tomorrow also. I would have ordered it tonight, but I want Son #1 to see the two I have in mind. Hopefully he can go down the street to Stapled and pick it up. Or maybe drive me there.

Last week at this time we had temps in the 80's. Tonight it is freezing out. I have the window cracked a little to get some fresh air in the apartment. And the heat is running constantly. :)
I have those days also. And go sometimes for several days without sleep. It gets crazy and you get so over tired you can't fall asleep. I understand completely.

Heres the Chocolate pound cake. I decided I earned a slice LOL

img_1123718_0_0080843e27e48da68af11a34a1c715f6.jpg

Resurrecting this thread.

Having a problem with pain and insomnia tonight so sleep is elusive.

Anyone here tonight?

I would cook something but most of my joints are screaming.

Here it is! :clap: I looked for "Midnight Oil Cafe" about a year ago, but couldn't find it. Thanks for dusting it off, msm.

I'm usually up late not due to pain, but because I just don't know how to "go to bed". No problem sleeping once I'm there, but it seems like Himself and I run on Hawaiian time - without the lovely beaches and palm trees.

I hope you get relief for your aching joints soon. Then again, maybe a joint is what your doctor might end up prescribing for your aches someday?

I'm here. I would jump out a window if my office had windows.

I'm not sure if working 7 days a week is worse than being in pain at home. I hope you're alright, mofet.

Thank you both.

Well I am using the time working up my Christmas Eve/Day menus and shopping lists

AND

My New Years Eve/Day menus and shopping lists

Time well spent.

I am planning to add a new to me recipe - Shrimp Scampi over Jasmine rice to my Christmas Eve dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom