"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #41
Executive Chef

IC, my Mother would get migraines like that. She had to see a neurologist because they would incapacitate her. Those meds you have are just a cover-up for an underlying problem.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
It could be tension headaches. I should probably do what was suggested and start logging possible triggers that set the headaches off. But usually I get them from when I wake up, so it's not as simple as say, eating something and then I get it an hour later. It's rare that I'm already up and it comes on. I know it's not my BP. Every year when I go to the doctor it's the same: 110-114/70-74. The last time I mentioned my headaches to the doctor, he didn't really give me a succinct answer as to what could be the cause, he just prescribed me vicodin. Maybe I should see another doctor.
Is that a general practitioner or internist you're seeing? I would see a neurologist about the headaches. Vicodin will take away the pain, temporarily, but doesn't address the cause. There might be something that will prevent them.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #43
Hospitality Queen

IC, I also think you may need a new doc! I can't imagine taking vicodin for migraines.

Also, for those who get really nauseated by migraine, tigan was my lifesaver.

and for the women, my pain & frequency of migraines also lessened when the doc changed my prescription for the pill to Desogen (which is generic for Mircette).
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Ironchef, if what you have are tension headaches may I suggest you look at massage to help? I tend to clench/grind my teeth and it causes all the muscles in my neck to tighten up giving me nasty headaches. The massage (once every six weeks) is a lifesaver and has really helped the frequency.
You know, Alix, I'm convinced that massage will cure practically anything. Really. Even stuff you didn't know you had. I personally think that touch has magical healing properties by itself and when you get a deep massage, it heals you from the inside out. (That along with a hot bath, clean sheets and plenty of liquids.)
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #45
Head Chef

My mom used to think she got migraines but in fact after diagnosis she has Cranial Neuralgias. Cranial Neuralgias

It is pretty awful when you get an attack.

Constant migraines aren't something you should have to deal with - source out the problem whether its food, stress, posture, or an underlying problem such as my Mom has.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #46
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
You know, Alix, I'm convinced that massage will cure practically anything. Really. Even stuff you didn't know you had. I personally think that touch has magical healing properties by itself and when you get a deep massage, it heals you from the inside out. (That along with a hot bath, clean sheets and plenty of liquids.)
Amen to that. I can't get over what an improvement in my overall health there has been since I started with the regular massage. But the biggest benefit is the decrease in headaches.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #47
Executive Chef

And it makes you feel absolutely fantastic too, doesn't it Alix? A long time ago, before the nursing shortages, nurses used to give each hospital patient a massage every day they were there because they know it helps patient's heal faster and decreases pain.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #48
Head Chef

I get free massages whenever I want! Well, Nick usually says yes... lol
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #49
Master Chef

I am fortunate in that I do not. However, gals who wrote in, you will be pleased to know that menopause AND blood pressure meds both can cause you to have pain-free older years! Girlfriends, mother in law, etc, all have gone through most of their adult lives with several a week, then when they hit menopause the headaches either went away or were greatly diminished.

By the way, anyone knows a REAL Hawaiian pizza is Spam and pineapple, NOT Canadian bacon!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #50
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I cannot look at the word migraine anymore without thinking of a show I was watching the other day. I was watching a "Mad About You" rerun, and their odd British neighbor (not odd because she was British, but just a weird woman) came over asking for some medicine for her husband. I will have to write it the way it sounded for this to make sense. She said, "He has a 'mee-graine.'" (I don't know if that is how it is pronounced in England, so if it is, please don't get mad at me for thinking it was funny!). Now whenever I see this thread, I think, "He has a mee-graine!"

Barbara