Migraines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a lot of them... not as many as you do though. They are HORRID.

Excedrin and ibuprofin do NOTHING for mine
I need much stronger meds.

They run in the women of my family, however, mine aren't as bad as the others. My sisters are the worst, and she's had to go the the ER for some.
Anyhow, for what it's worth, there are some foods that really help migraine sufferers:
(I happen to have this typed out on my computer, as I recently sent the info off to my mom)

This is info from Gillian McKeith's Food Bible:

MIGRAINE
Causes may include: Stress, Liver imbalance, lack of sleep, food intolerances, poor posture or previous neck injury, blood-sugar imbalances, constipation, female hormonal fluctuations, exhaustion, toxicity, teeth grinding, dental problems, medications, dehydration, bright or flashing lights, smoking, foods that are high in the amino acid tyramine

ACTION PLAN
Keep a diary that includes everything you eat and drink to help identify triggers.

EAT/DRINK
*Water. Migraines may be caused by simple dehydration. Drink at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day to help prevent migraines. If you feel one coming on then sip a large glass of warm water.
*Nettle, feverfew and cammomile teas together
*Magnesium-rich foods. Magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves and is often low in migraine sufferers. Good food sources include green vegetables, avocados, alfalfa sprouts, millet, brown rice, quinoa, soya, sea vegetables, hazelnuts and watercress.
*Hemp and flax seeds. These are high in essential fats that have an anti-inflammatory effect. Oily fish and other nuts and seeds are also good sources.
*Rye broth. This can help to relieve a migraine once it has started and may also be useful as a preventative.

AVOID
Tyramine-containing foods: chocolate, cheese, coffee, red wine, oranges, aged meats and foods containing MSG.
*Other problem foods may include potatoes, tomatoes (especially if cooked), dairy products, salt wheat, gluten yeast, beer and preservatives and additives. These all contain tyramine, an amino acid that can trigger migraines in some people.

HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS
*The herb feverfew can help in the long term. It will not help rescue a migraine once it hits but taken daily the effects are cumulative. Eat the leaves of the plant if possible for the best effect.
*Nettle tea can also be beneficial for its high mineral content.
*Extract of butterbur may help.
*Magnesium can help to relax the muscles and nerves.
*Vitamin B6 deficiency is common in those who suffer from migraines. If taking this long term, take a B complex vitamin as well.

EXTRA TIPS
*Keep a food and symptom diary to identify any other offending foods. Bear in mind that a migraine may be caused by something eaten one or even two days before. The reaction is not necessarily immediate.
*Keep blood-sugar levels stable. Eat small meals and snacks regularly and avoid sugar, refined carbohydrates, caffeine and alcohol.
*Check your posture, especially if working at a computer all day. Try to keep the spine long and the shoulders down as this allows for good circulation to the head.
*See a chiropractor or osteopath. Straightening out areas of tightness or injury can improve circulation and reduce migraine attacks.
*If you get a migraine, put your feet in a basin of hot water and place a cold towel on your head.

If Excedrin and Ibuprofen work for you somewhat, try Excedrin for Migraines. Might work even better. You work in a kitchen, is it bright in there with lots of lights? If you have sensitive eyes bright lights will trigger migraines. But also stress and caffeine can do it, so stop being stressed and switch to decaf, LOL.

JKath, I was going to say that you're the fastest typist alive. Well, I know it's not my estrogen fluctuations...or at least I think so :LOL:. It's probably a lack of sleep since I drink a lot of water and the other stuff doesn't apply to me.

PDS, I have vicodin, but I try not to take it as much as possible, unless I'm at home and it's closer to bedtime.

lol.. yeah, vicodin works.. or at least it puts me to sleep for 6-8 hours and when I wake up the headache is gone.. percocet is good too.

Never had migranes until I was nearly killed in a vehicle accident a few years ago. Head injury. Then, the headaches came on with a vengeance. My doctor prescribed Zomig, which worked magic...and quickly.

However, since I'd sustained a head injury because of the accident, I lost nearly all of my short-term memory and some of my long-term memory. Day-to-day activities were a living hell. I couldn't remember anything. Forgot how to read, how to knit, crochet, do calculations for my end of our business, nearly everything.

Buck saw an article in the newspaper about a research study that was beginning and the researchers were looking for people who had suffered head injuries like mine. I was accepted into the study and, as a result, was given a drug that treats Alzheimer's symptoms - Aricept.

It wasn't long after I began taking Aricept that my headaches stopped. I mentioned that to the research docs and, later, a study was conducted on the effectiveness of Aricept for treating migranes.

I haven't had a headache of any kind in a number of years now.

Katie, did the zomig make you sleepy? I take it now and like vicodin, it makes me very very tired.

It's been a long time since I have taken any Zomig, but I don't recall that it made me sleepy. Although, when I got a migrane I tended to hunker down in the bedroom with all the shades closed, so it might've made me a bit drowsy initially. I've been taking 10 mg./day of Aricept for several years now.

Could also be blood pressure related, IC. I started getting them after NEVER having a headache a day in my life. had a bunch of tests done, and an MRI, came down to a weak blood vessel in my brain and the blood pressure(a little high at the time)and that was the culprit.

I used to get migraines alot, now they are few and far between. Ever since we got a new bed, Tempurpedic, my back and my neck have been feeling 10 x better.

:) I read some where that green apples help with migraines. It's worth a shot. A friend of mine triggered hers from chocolate or honey. Maybe you could wear some glasses with a little shading at work and see if that helps. Experiment and you just might find a solution.

when i was in my thirties i had really bad migraines. had the visual signs , saw flashes of light and people's faces would be off kilter.

went to eye doctor, not my eyes , but he put me on a diuretic and i never had another one. his theory was fluid in the body went into the vascular system.

before i started that, nothing helped with the pain. not even of the caffeine pills i was taking.

babe :ohmy::ohmy:

Last edited:
I used to get migraines all the time. After awhile I went to the doctor who did all kinds of tests. I had extremely high blood pressure to the point I literally could have died. I was put on blood pressure medication and haven't had a migraine since. It's been almost 5 years. So I suggest having your b.p. checked out.

JKath, I was going to say that you're the fastest typist alive. Well, I know it's not my estrogen fluctuations...or at least I think so :LOL:. It's probably a lack of sleep since I drink a lot of water and the other stuff doesn't apply to me.

PDS, I have vicodin, but I try not to take it as much as possible, unless I'm at home and it's closer to bedtime.
I've never had headaches and I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem with them. I did have a period of serious dizzy spells that were almost incapacitating many years back. After a complete work up with nothing found, my doc was grasping at straws and finally asked if I drank coffee. When I told him about a pot and a half a day, he jumped up and said that's it! He said I had caffeine toxicity and that it could cause dizziness heart palpitations and horrible headaches. I thought he was a complete idiot and that he just wanted to make up a cause because he was embarrassed that he couldn't pinpoint the problem. Still, I thought since I had paid him for his advice and gone through the tests, I would be an idiot if I didn't at least try to see if stopping the coffee would help. I have to say that the symptoms disappeared within a week and have never come back. This may not be your problem but it's an easy and free thing to try. Good luck and I hope your head feels better. (If it doesn't, I wouldn't completely rule out the hormonal fluctuations angle.)

As far as meds go, one that sis takes is imitrex (sp?). The injectable one seems to help more.
As for your estrogen level, um, yeah...shoulda deleted that part out for you....!
When I first started getting migraines, I noticed they were very often triggered by my hypoglycemia. Again, mine is not nearly as bad as the other females in the family, but it is there. I've found that all the recent changes in my eating (within the last 6 months) has really lessened my ailments.

Hi, IC. I've had severe cluster headaches (a different but related headache disorder) for more than 30 years. Not every headache is a migraine; most people who have headaches have tension headaches. Have you been evaluated and diagnosed by a doctor? If not, I would go that route first, so you will be sure of what you have and know that the treatment is appropriate. If you do have migraines, a doctor can prescribe medication that can help.

I get headaches daily. Sadly, they can all be cured with my prescription migraine pills that are $40 for 6. Rarely do I have tension headaches and I think a lot of them are caused by my back/neck. Estrogen was the culprit many years ago when I would have excruciating daily migraines, emergency room visits at 3 am for shots, etc. Once I visited a neurologist he decided to take me off the pill and the migraines went away...sort of.

I have one now, but it's just a little one that is tolerable. Anymore I think I get full blown migraines a couple times a month.

I happen to be of the lesser population of a male who gets migraines weekly. Women are way more common Migraine sufferers.

It seems like I have tried everything from Chiropractic, Food Journal, and MRI's. No solution yet..

Since the birth of my son, I have taken Migraine prevention to a new level. I do not like missing any of his little life because I can't get out of bed because of a migraine.

I am back on my food journal, along with a complete Caffine free diet. Not my favorite thing, as I am DEFINITELY craving Coca-Cola.

I am also taking a Migraine Medication called Midrin/IsoMeth. Most of the pills I have taken in the past have made me very nauseaus. This one doesn't seem to. Only problem is that you can only take so many pills in a one week period.

Anyways, Migraines SUCK. I've been getting them since I was 5, and I am starting to get annoyed.

-Brad

I happen to be of the lesser population of a male who gets migraines weekly. Women are way more common Migraine sufferers.

It seems like I have tried everything from Chiropractic, Food Journal, and MRI's. No solution yet..

Since the birth of my son, I have taken Migraine prevention to a new level. I do not like missing any of his little life because I can't get out of bed because of a migraine.

I am back on my food journal, along with a complete Caffine free diet. Not my favorite thing, as I am DEFINITELY craving Coca-Cola.

I am also taking a Migraine Medication called Midrin/IsoMeth. Most of the pills I have taken in the past have made me very nauseaus. This one doesn't seem to. Only problem is that you can only take so many pills in a one week period.

Anyways, Migraines SUCK. I've been getting them since I was 5, and I am starting to get annoyed.

-Brad

When I had my daily migraines I would take Propranonol for prevention.

I used to take Midrin but it made me feel so werid. The nasal spray didn't work and tablets started to not work as well. The Dr was going to switch me to the injections. Now I take Maxalt and it works wonders!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom