"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Migraines

Does anyone else here get frequent migraines? I usually have headaches 1-3 times a week. Don't know if they are caffeine or fatigue based but I sure do go through a lot of Excedrin and ibuprofein.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I get a lot of them... not as many as you do though. They are HORRID.

Excedrin and ibuprofin do NOTHING for mine
I need much stronger meds.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

They run in the women of my family, however, mine aren't as bad as the others. My sisters are the worst, and she's had to go the the ER for some.
Anyhow, for what it's worth, there are some foods that really help migraine sufferers:
(I happen to have this typed out on my computer, as I recently sent the info off to my mom)

This is info from Gillian McKeith's Food Bible:

MIGRAINE
Causes may include: Stress, Liver imbalance, lack of sleep, food intolerances, poor posture or previous neck injury, blood-sugar imbalances, constipation, female hormonal fluctuations, exhaustion, toxicity, teeth grinding, dental problems, medications, dehydration, bright or flashing lights, smoking, foods that are high in the amino acid tyramine

ACTION PLAN
Keep a diary that includes everything you eat and drink to help identify triggers.

EAT/DRINK
*Water. Migraines may be caused by simple dehydration. Drink at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day to help prevent migraines. If you feel one coming on then sip a large glass of warm water.
*Nettle, feverfew and cammomile teas together
*Magnesium-rich foods. Magnesium relaxes muscles and nerves and is often low in migraine sufferers. Good food sources include green vegetables, avocados, alfalfa sprouts, millet, brown rice, quinoa, soya, sea vegetables, hazelnuts and watercress.
*Hemp and flax seeds. These are high in essential fats that have an anti-inflammatory effect. Oily fish and other nuts and seeds are also good sources.
*Rye broth. This can help to relieve a migraine once it has started and may also be useful as a preventative.

AVOID
Tyramine-containing foods: chocolate, cheese, coffee, red wine, oranges, aged meats and foods containing MSG.
*Other problem foods may include potatoes, tomatoes (especially if cooked), dairy products, salt wheat, gluten yeast, beer and preservatives and additives. These all contain tyramine, an amino acid that can trigger migraines in some people.

HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS
*The herb feverfew can help in the long term. It will not help rescue a migraine once it hits but taken daily the effects are cumulative. Eat the leaves of the plant if possible for the best effect.
*Nettle tea can also be beneficial for its high mineral content.
*Extract of butterbur may help.
*Magnesium can help to relax the muscles and nerves.
*Vitamin B6 deficiency is common in those who suffer from migraines. If taking this long term, take a B complex vitamin as well.

EXTRA TIPS
*Keep a food and symptom diary to identify any other offending foods. Bear in mind that a migraine may be caused by something eaten one or even two days before. The reaction is not necessarily immediate.
*Keep blood-sugar levels stable. Eat small meals and snacks regularly and avoid sugar, refined carbohydrates, caffeine and alcohol.
*Check your posture, especially if working at a computer all day. Try to keep the spine long and the shoulders down as this allows for good circulation to the head.
*See a chiropractor or osteopath. Straightening out areas of tightness or injury can improve circulation and reduce migraine attacks.
*If you get a migraine, put your feet in a basin of hot water and place a cold towel on your head.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

If Excedrin and Ibuprofen work for you somewhat, try Excedrin for Migraines. Might work even better. You work in a kitchen, is it bright in there with lots of lights? If you have sensitive eyes bright lights will trigger migraines. But also stress and caffeine can do it, so stop being stressed and switch to decaf, LOL.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

JKath, I was going to say that you're the fastest typist alive. Well, I know it's not my estrogen fluctuations...or at least I think so . It's probably a lack of sleep since I drink a lot of water and the other stuff doesn't apply to me.

PDS, I have vicodin, but I try not to take it as much as possible, unless I'm at home and it's closer to bedtime.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol.. yeah, vicodin works.. or at least it puts me to sleep for 6-8 hours and when I wake up the headache is gone.. percocet is good too.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never had migranes until I was nearly killed in a vehicle accident a few years ago. Head injury. Then, the headaches came on with a vengeance. My doctor prescribed Zomig, which worked magic...and quickly.

However, since I'd sustained a head injury because of the accident, I lost nearly all of my short-term memory and some of my long-term memory. Day-to-day activities were a living hell. I couldn't remember anything. Forgot how to read, how to knit, crochet, do calculations for my end of our business, nearly everything.

Buck saw an article in the newspaper about a research study that was beginning and the researchers were looking for people who had suffered head injuries like mine. I was accepted into the study and, as a result, was given a drug that treats Alzheimer's symptoms - Aricept.

It wasn't long after I began taking Aricept that my headaches stopped. I mentioned that to the research docs and, later, a study was conducted on the effectiveness of Aricept for treating migranes.

I haven't had a headache of any kind in a number of years now.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, did the zomig make you sleepy? I take it now and like vicodin, it makes me very very tired.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's been a long time since I have taken any Zomig, but I don't recall that it made me sleepy. Although, when I got a migrane I tended to hunker down in the bedroom with all the shades closed, so it might've made me a bit drowsy initially. I've been taking 10 mg./day of Aricept for several years now.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Could also be blood pressure related, IC. I started getting them after NEVER having a headache a day in my life. had a bunch of tests done, and an MRI, came down to a weak blood vessel in my brain and the blood pressure(a little high at the time)and that was the culprit.