Military History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
OK. So on another thread (creamed chipped beef), I noticed Michael in FTW was at one time stationed and NAS Millington, Tennesee. It brought back memories for me as I too spent time there (1 year to be exact). So I propose that all of you ex or present military out there list where you've been stationed. For me, here is where I've been, in order:

1. Boot Camp - NAS Great Lakes, Illinois
2. BE&E school,AVA-school, and Advanced First Term Avionics (AFTA) - NAS Millington, Tennesee.
3. Shore Duty at NAS North Island, Coranado Island, San Diego, CA.
4. Sea Duty on USS Ranger, Squadron VS-29 Vikings, Home Port - NAS North Island
5. Shore Duty, at NAS North Island
6. Sea Duty on USS KittyHawk, squadron VS-38, Home Port - NAS North Island

Ports visited:
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Subic Bay, Phillipines
Yakosku (sp), Japan
Perth, Australia
Pusan, Korea

Favorite activities on shore: Horseback riding, Judo, and roller skating at Millington, Hanging out with freinds

Dirt-biking, scuba, ball-room dancing, young-adult church activities, and wife hunting at North Island,

go-kart racing, various tours in port, trying loca foods, snorkeling while overseas

Playing Spades, and Dungeons & Dragons, writing novels, watching air ops, watching dolphins play in the wake, watching the beautiful ocean while at sea.

Began really learning to cook while stationed in San Diego, though I'd always had a knack for throwing things together and making them taste pretty good from about 12 years old on.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I did a stretch at the Salvation Army in South Omaha in the 80's ("word up" to all of you youngsters who desire a career in music)

Didn't visit any "ports", although Port wine was a popular beverage amongst the old-timers

Favorite Activities

Ping-Pong
Television
Kitchen duty

Just for clarification, I hope everyone realizes this was tongue-in-cheek. And I would like to offer up my heartfelt thanks to all of you who have served, or are currently serving in the Military. At the risk of sounding cliche', I for one realize that freedom isn't free, and I hope everyone appreciates that.:)

Last edited:
Lackland AFB San Antonio Texas
Chanute field Rantoul Ill Propeller tech school 19 weeks
Yakota air base close to Tokyo 2 yrs
Okinawa 2 weeks
Iwo Jima over night
Wake Island about 10 hours
Mid Way Island 6 hours
Hawaii 1 week
Travis AFB California in and out of Travis many times
Mccord AFB Tacoma WA. 1 1/2 yrs
Anchorage Alaska 8 times about six months temparary duty
Fairbanks Alaska -72*F below zero when I landed there 3 days
Portland Or.1 week
Home to Des Moines
4 yrs United States Air Force
Honorable Discharge
Would not take a million dollars for my experience but would not do it again for any amount of money
I wanted to cook and bake and they wanted me to be a aeroplane mechanic
I went back to cooking 3 days after I got home been at it ever since

June 1962

Fort Gordon, Augusta Georgia, 8 weeks basic training and after a week of leave 16 weeks of radio operator training (the first week was KP - I had pots and pans :) and then learning morse code so that it became an automatic reflex.

Fort Dix New Jersey to be shipped (flown) out

The remainder of three years volunteer service with the 3rd Armored Cavalry in Kaiserslautern, German. It was almost a vacation. Would not repeat but I'm glad I served. Hardest thing I had to do was to get used to the revolving radio shift schedule. Kinda messed up my sleep. :)

I smile about something that wasn't a smiling matter really, the boys were by then dying in South Vietnam.

U.S. Navy veteran

1. Boot Camp ~ USNRTC,Great Lakes, IL
2. VS-30, NAS, Boca Chica, FL
3. MT "A" School, Virginia Beach, VA
4. TALOS Missile School, Mare Island, CA
5. USS Columbus CG-12

Ports Visited:

Long Beach, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Diego, CA
Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Midway
Guam
Subic Bay, Philippines (many times)
Hong Kong, China (3 times)
Yokosuka, Japan (3 times)
Sasebo, Japan (2 times)
Kagoshima, Japan
Kure, Japan
Beppu, Japan

Fort Dix, NJ
Indiantown Gap, PA (lotsa KP & DRO)
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN
Fort Knox, KY
Camp Darby, Italy (Great chow and pheasant hunting near Firenze)
Bologna- TDY
Rome- TDY (Bad place to be driving a 10 ton tactical tractor-trailer)
Verona- TDY
Vicenza- TDY
Governor's Island, NY

A heartfelt THANK YOU to any and all veterans, currently serving or retired.

I never served. I should have. I had a US Army recruiter chasing me in high school. He was going to put me into Intelligence. That scary thing is, I probably would have done very well there, as that's how I think.

I'm a Navy brat. I was born in a Navy hospital in Portsmouth, VA. I don't remember it, but we lived in Millington, TN, for about 6 months, where my little sister was born. After that, we moved to Japan for 3 1/2 years. A little while in Nagasaki, and the remainder in Yokohoma. I barely remember Nagasaki, and have a lot of memories Yokohoma. When we came back state-side, my dad was stationed at NAS Oceana for awhile, then shipped out to the USS Nimitz after the Lybians tried to launch a couple fighters at her. I did spend a week on board the USS Nimitz on a Father-Tiger cruise. After that, about a year or so, my dad retired out of the US Navy and we moved back to OK.

:):)and a big THANK YOU FROM MY FAMILY AND I TOO. i have a son that has been in the USN since 12/1999. he graduated from boot camp in great lakes, ill, has been all over the world since and is now doing shore duty in washington. i have to say "i am EXTREMELY PROUD of him. :):) again, a big THANK YOU to all who have and are now serving. :):)I APPRICIATE and LOVE you all. :):) you are our HERO'S.

OK. So on another thread (creamed chipped beef), I noticed Michael in FTW was at one time stationed and NAS Millington, Tennesee. It brought back memories for me as I too spent time there (1 year to be exact). So I propose that all of you ex or present military out there list where you've been stationed. For me, here is where I've been, in order:

1. Boot Camp - NAS Great Lakes, Illinois
2. BE&E school,AVA-school, and Advanced First Term Avionics (AFTA) - NAS Millington, Tennesee.
3. Shore Duty at NAS North Island, Coranado Island, San Diego, CA.
4. Sea Duty on USS Ranger, Squadron VS-29 Vikings, Home Port - NAS North Island
5. Shore Duty, at NAS North Island
6. Sea Duty on USS KittyHawk, squadron VS-38, Home Port - NAS North Island

Ports visited:
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Subic Bay, Phillipines
Yakosku (sp), Japan
Perth, Australia
Pusan, Korea

Favorite activities on shore: Horseback riding, Judo, and roller skating at Millington, Hanging out with freinds

Dirt-biking, scuba, ball-room dancing, young-adult church activities, and wife hunting at North Island,

go-kart racing, various tours in port, trying loca foods, snorkeling while overseas

Playing Spades, and Dungeons & Dragons, writing novels, watching air ops, watching dolphins play in the wake, watching the beautiful ocean while at sea.

Began really learning to cook while stationed in San Diego, though I'd always had a knack for throwing things together and making them taste pretty good from about 12 years old on.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

spent six years in millington schools my dad was in the navy.he was an instructor in avation mechanics . :ohmy: i was so sad when we had to move to norfolk va. for my last two years in high school. :(
i did get married in norfolk, so it wasn't a total loss.

Had some adventures in Millington/Memphis area. Went to my first state Judo Championship in Nashville (yeh, I lost early. I was a talented white belt at the time). Learned to ride horses on the base. Almost ran out of gas while exploring the back roads of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. Got in my first fight where I lost control for a brief moment. flight rr fight response to his agression. Fortunately I came to my senses before I knocked my opponanat's head off. He had it comming. Nuff said. Found out how very useful judo was at convincing an opponant that fighting wasn't a good idea. It's amazing how it takes the fight right out of a guy when you throw him around like a rag doll, and he has nothing to say about it. I'm a lover, not a fighter. That's why I so enjoyed judo. It allowed me to stop my opponants without hurting them. They understood very quickly that I could if I needed to.

Found that play-acting could draw simpothy from unuspecting young ladies when I was interested in meeting them. You see, I used to go to this roller rink in Rahliegh, not far from Millington. I was a very good roller skater, and had all of those falling skills from judo training. I'd pretend to be helpless on skates, falliing very convincingly, near someone who looked like a simpathetic lady of course. I never took advantage of anyone. I just used the technique as an ice-breaker of sorts.

Had Memphis Q with a buddy and his family, and his cousins. They were very hospitible, a joy to be with. He was black, in a very black side of town, in the year - 1974. When he left his car for his wife, and we had to walk to a bus stop nearly a mile away, we found ourselves running very quickly away from a moderately large group of black men who were looking very mean and following us. I was a skinny white boy in a place where there weren't usually any skinny white boys (I'm mostly Native American, but you can't tell by looking at me with my, at that time, blonde hair and blue eyes. Needless to say, we ran much faster than the goons chasing us, and further too:LOL:.

Millington is a place full of good memories, and good freinds, not to mention some great barbecue.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Had some adventures in Millington/Memphis area. Went to my first state Judo Championship in Nashville (yeh, I lost early. I was a talented white belt at the time). Learned to ride horses on the base. Almost ran out of gas while exploring the back roads of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. Got in my first fight where I lost control for a brief moment. flight or fight response to his aggresion. Fortunately I came to my senses before I knocked my adversary's head off. He had it coming. Nuff said. Found out how very useful judo was at convincing an adversary that fighting wasn't a good idea. It's amazing how it takes the fight right out of a guy when you throw him around like a rag doll, and he has nothing to say about it. I'm a lover, not a fighter. That's why I so enjoyed judo. It allowed me to stop my adversarys without hurting them. They understood very quickly that I could if I needed to.

Found that play-acting could draw sympathy from unsuspecting young ladies when I was interested in meeting them. You see, I used to go to this roller rink in Raliegh, not far from Millington. I was a very good roller skater, and had all of those falling skills from judo training. I'd pretend to be helpless on skates, falling very convincingly, near someone who looked like a sympathetic lady of course. I never took advantage of anyone. I just used the technique as an ice-breaker of sorts.

Had Memphis Q with a buddy and his family, and his cousins. They were very hospitible, a joy to be with. He was black, in a very black side of town, in the year - 1974. When he left his car for his wife, and we had to walk to a bus stop nearly a mile away, we found ourselves running very quickly away from a moderately large group of black men who were looking very mean and following us. I was a skinny white boy in a place where there weren't usually any skinny white boys (I'm mostly Native American, but you can't tell by looking at me with my, at that time, blonde hair and blue eyes. Needless to say, we ran much faster than the goons chasing us, and further too:LOL:.

Millington is a place full of good memories, and good friends, not to mention some great barbecue.

Had some adventures in Millington/Memphis area. Went to my first state Judo Championship in Nashville (yeh, I lost early. I was a talented white belt at the time). Learned to ride horses on the base. Almost ran out of gas while exploring the back roads of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. Got in my first fight where I lost control for a brief moment. flight or fight response to his aggresion. Fortunately I came to my senses before I knocked my adversary's head off. He had it coming. Nuff said. Found out how very useful judo was at convincing an adversary that fighting wasn't a good idea. It's amazing how it takes the fight right out of a guy when you throw him around like a rag doll, and he has nothing to say about it. I'm a lover, not a fighter. That's why I so enjoyed judo. It allowed me to stop my adversarys without hurting them. They understood very quickly that I could if I needed to.

Found that play-acting could draw sympathy from unsuspecting young ladies when I was interested in meeting them. You see, I used to go to this roller rink in Raliegh, not far from Millington. I was a very good roller skater, and had all of those falling skills from judo training. I'd pretend to be helpless on skates, falling very convincingly, near someone who looked like a sympathetic lady of course. I never took advantage of anyone. I just used the technique as an ice-breaker of sorts.

Millington is a place full of good memories, and good friends, not to mention some great barbecue.

boy that all brings back good times for me. we had so many perks as navy brats on the base, swimming, bowling , movies, gee dunks, there was a group of us that lived on the base and were bused to millington to school. i was mildly popular in high school and loved it all. fell in love there the first time, with a life guard at the in-door pool. gosh, he was handsome. 12 years older than me and i was 16. you can imagine how my parents felt about that. we moved and he moved, but we wrote letters for two years.
have been home a few times in recent years and there are friends
still there. it is true, though, you can't go home again.

Cannot name the installations I've lived on, with, or around (seriously, too many to name). But I am proud of my own service, my husband's (23 years) and my father's) 26 years). We live in a small town, and my husband is referred to as "The Colonel". I hope that term is with respect. A girlfriend of mine visited this summer, and people asked me about her. She is one of the early full colonels in the Air Force, and I'm proud to call her my friend. Our newspaper publishes photos every few years, and we've been right in there.

Hmm ... after rereading these posts decided to go ahead:

1955 - Born, Bolling AFB, Wash, DC
1956-1959 - Dreux AB, France*
1959-1962 - Hamilton AFB, CA*
1962-1965 - Stead AFB, NV
1965-1966 - Ramstein AB, Germany
1966-1969 - Wiesbaden AB, Germany*
1969-1971 - Hill AFB, UT
1971-1973 - Vandenberg AFB, CA
1973 - Lackland AFB, TX
1974 - Keesler AFB, MS
1975 - Grand Forks AFB, ND
1976-1977 - Finley AFS, NC
1978-1982 - Pentagon
1982-1985 - Hickam AFB, HI
1985-1988 - Fort Monroe, VA
1988-1992 - Camp Smith, HI
1992-1993 - Pentagon

These are just rough years and include my first 18 years and a military dependent child, my own active duty years, my years working as a DOD civilian, and my years as a dependent wife. The asterisks indicate places my sisters were born. It doesn't include anywhere I stayed for less than a year.

What an experience!

Hmm ... after rereading these posts decided to go ahead:

1955 - Born, Bolling AFB, Wash, DC
1956-1959 - Dreux AB, France*
1959-1962 - Hamilton AFB, CA*
1962-1965 - Stead AFB, NV
1965-1966 - Ramstein AB, Germany
1966-1969 - Wiesbaden AB, Germany*
1969-1971 - Hill AFB, UT
1971-1973 - Vandenberg AFB, CA
1973 - Lackland AFB, TX
1974 - Keesler AFB, MS
1975 - Grand Forks AFB, ND
1976-1977 - Finley AFS, NC
1978-1982 - Pentagon
1982-1985 - Hickam AFB, HI
1985-1988 - Fort Monroe, VA
1988-1992 - Camp Smith, HI
1992-1993 - Pentagon

These are just rough years and include my first 18 years and a military dependent child, my own active duty years, my years working as a DOD civilian, and my years as a dependent wife. The asterisks indicate places my sisters were born. It doesn't include anywhere I stayed for less than a year.

What an experience!

Yup; That pretty much confirms that you are truly a military brat. :ROFLMAO:
And so, how's the wild turkey this year?;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Boot camp - Fort Riley, Kansas
8 weeks training - Fort Leonard Wood
Remainder of 3 years - Heidelberg, Germany - Intelligence unit.

I was a post draftee volunteer - The duty was literally a vacation. No real army, plenty of time off. I got to see most of Europe and some of the rest of the world.
Our unit mission was primarily evaluating armament that someone wanted to sell to the US Army. A lot of cushy travel paid for by the companies in question. A far cry from 1 year later at the start of Viet Nam, or now in Iraq. My hats off to those now serving, those that have been there, and those to serve in the future.

I will never cook a wild turkey again. Oh, dear, my theme is never say never or always. If I have the chance, I will stew it. Haha

Back
Top Bottom