"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Oprah

I just can't believe that Oprah is having this young man on her show already! Just seems too soon for him to appear in public after such an experience. But that is what the public demands, immediate attention or otherwise they will forget about it. If he were my son I don't think I could allow him to get such exposure so quickly. Of course, the parents must feel they are grateful that the public took such a interest otherwise may not ever be found. I just feel so sorry for this young man. He seems like such a good boy too.

One thing I sure would like to see Oprah if she is going to interview him. She always has something about catching these type of predators. It is so hard to believe how everything took place.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie
I feel so bad for Shawn Hornbeck. He's been programmed/brainwashed over the past 4 years. Psychologically, he and his parents have a tough road ahead of them. I'm so glad he's back though.
This is true. Similar thing happened to a girl in Austria who managed an escape last year after about 6 years of captivation by a mad man. She was kept in a small room underground for most of the time, away from public eyes. She was about 10 when she was kidnapped, and now she is well into her teens. Shortly after she was rescued to safety, a television interview was conducted. Evidently she had been well taken care of materially, however she had difficulties comprehending many questions, for lack of casual, real life knowledge any normal children would acquire during the course of every day life. She had missed out on a vital stage of her young life, and one could see it was only the beginning of her true challenge to get back into normal society. I really wish the best for her, but I am sure it will be very difficult.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
I do hope this -- I'm following the rules here but I hope this (insert your own invective) pays for whatever he has done to these dear children.
As Uncle Bob says...they need a tall tree and a short rope.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

In the Kitchen, do you know when Oprah will be interviewing the boy? I would like to program my VCR for that.

Lee
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
In the Kitchen, do you know when Oprah will be interviewing the boy? I would like to program my VCR for that.

Lee
Lee, our local CBS station just announced that the program will air tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

What?

Our paper wrote this morning that this young man attended dance last month w/some girl who he was holding hands with? Is this some kind of joke that nobody knows about? If this is something untrue it is pretty low. I surely hope not.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The truth is WE don't know what happened. He did whatever he had to do to keep the peace and survive. I sure don't want to keep perpetuating rumors by even posting them here. I think both of these families need privacy and some respect. Even if I knew something was 100% true, if it violated his/their privacy and caused more people to talk about it, I wouldn't post it.

Just my two cents.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Friends?

I guess I consider the people on the site friends that I can confide in! I don't want to harm anyone, the families in particular. I am just exposed to the public comments about this as much as anyone else is and would like to know how they feel? I am sure i am not alone in being interested in this odd situation.

I apologize if I spoke out of line but Larry King on tv is even reporting about this family. You have to admit it is very unusual but I in no way want to bring any more heartache than they already have.

kitchenelf, I only thought I could get others opinions.