"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #31
Head Chef

I miss alot of the people who are no longer here, too. It would be nice of they popped in to say hello sometimes.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Hey Everyone!

Just stopped by to say HI! Things have been very very busy here and I have not had any time to log on in a while. I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon. Miss ya all!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #33
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks for popping in, Dave, you have been missed!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #34
Cook

I have been MIA for awhile too.

My Mom was in the hospital from Jan 6th to Feb 13. During that time she was home for two very short stays but ended up right back in the hospital. She is now home with hospice as she has decided to stop dialysis.

All of our company left Monday so now it is just Mom and me except on weekends when my brother from Wyoming comes down. It is just so hard to go through this again so soon after Dad's passing. They told us she only had 6 weeks to 6 months with dialysis and days to weeks without it.

I will try to come back when things get settled down.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieV View Post

My Mom was in the hospital from Jan 6th to Feb 13. During that time she was home for two very short stays but ended up right back in the hospital. She is now home with hospice as she has decided to stop dialysis.

All of our company left Monday so now it is just Mom and me except on weekends when my brother from Wyoming comes down. It is just so hard to go through this again so soon after Dad's passing. They told us she only had 6 weeks to 6 months with dialysis and days to weeks without it.

You both will be in my thoughts..May life be kind and let her be peacful now.
kadesma
Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #36
Master Chef

I'm so sorry to hear, Auntie V........I can really understand what you're going thru......did the same with my father-in-law who was angry until the end and my mother-in-law about a year later..........it's so tough.....glad you checked in and you certainly have all of our "hugs"........
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieV View Post

I am so sorry she has had enough. My mum passed away on Friday but she had asked us to let her go on Tuesday, so she went relatively quickly in the end. It isn't easy but what else can you do for them except to let them go? The people I know from my time on dialysis who opted for "conservative treatment" as it is known over here, all reportedly went easily and without pain. The medical staff kept them well medicated so they weren't in any pain, or at least the bouts were brief. It is similar to how my mother went as she struggled for breath. We kept her medicated and the only times she woke up was when the staff did not give her extra medication when they turned/washed her. Those little brief episodes were horrible for her and horrible for me to watch, so helpless. We as the family don't realise what we are about to go through with our loved ones and we rely heavily on the medical staff to do the right thing by their patient and by the family. But sometimes, you have to assert your rights and make the staff do more than they would - and that includes the really caring ones. I hope your mother passes in peace. My mother did in the end but I had to assert my/her rights to ensure that happened. Coming from a medical family (not me) and having been a renal patient for several years, I knew a lot of what was going on and what I could ask for. A lot of families don't have that to fall back on, and it greatly concerns me on their behalf. Everyone who dies (in hospital at least) should have the right to a painfree death. It is there to be had. You just need to ask the questions and follow up on the answers.
I am so sorry all of you are going through this. My thoughts are with you. Take care.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Maybe the missing members are on a holiday. I have been MIA for up to a month at a time because of travelling.

Mel
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #39
Master Chef

Speaking of missing members, where is quicksilver ?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #40
Master Chef

People come and go, people get busy with life, people get simply board after while, some people, actually quite few moved on a different board.