Modelling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i got an offer for a model's portfolio in exchange for a photographer showing my pics at shows. it's a great photographer; many people utilize thier service; most of our city. modeling may be great $$$$$. i'm kinda old- 25.
your opinions?

luvs said:
i got an offer for a model's portfolio in exchange for a photographer showing my pics at shows. it's a great photographer; many people utilize thier service; most of our city. modeling may be great $$$$$. i'm kinda old- 25.
your opinions?

Not sure of the question you're asking, luvs. Are you planning on going into modelling, what is the guy's credentials, what does he photograph? What shows is he planning on showing your picture to?

25 may be a little old to start, but this is a whole field you need to explore, if you chose it as a serious career. Get a pro to do your portfolio --- but that's not always necessary. I went to the top agency in NY, and I weighed about 120, 5' 7". They wanted to put me to work if I lost 10 lbs...I walked out. I went (as a lark) on a call in CA. They wanted me right away for a cruise assignment, & wanted to see my photos - but my photos were in NY. It is not a glam career & it may be very short lived. Depends on what you want. There are a lot of low-life 'photographers' that will try to lure you with promises. Followed up on an ad in the NY Times for a modelling job, and the guy set up an appointment at night, when the staff had gone home; & walked into the dressing room when I was changing. Be aware. I wish you luck.:)

Last edited:
i'm asking if i oughta. cost-free portfolio, by a professional that photos most of our city, i figure, hmmmm.....
careers by nature aren't glam. i'm not asking for glamour. i'm looking for enough cash to get by.:LOL:

Last edited:
I'd go, bring a friend if you don't know too much about the guy and/or his company. but if he asks for anything questionable, I'd be outta there faster then he could blink.

What a wonderful offer Luvs, you must be thrilled by the idea. What the photographer offered you is called "prints for hire" and is relatively common among people/glamour photographers. If you decide to do this make sure that it's something that you are comfortable with and that you sign a model release form before the pictures are taken. Follow your gut instinct, and if you go for it I hope that you have a great time :)

luvs said:
i'm asking if i oughta. cost-free portfolio, by a professional that photos most of our city...

Unclear re a pro that photos most of our city...(buildings?) for a modelling portfolio. What the heck, it's F-R-E-E. You can always show 'em to your grandkids someday, if it doesn't 'pan' out. Go with your gut instinct.

My photos were taken at about age 17, by a friend (no cost), with a very good eye. Some of them included:

Swimsuit - On the beach & in the water (brrrr), full-length & close-ups, head shots, with and w/o makeup

Jeans & floppy hat - in natural wooded areas, upstate NY.

Winter Coat - Walking through Central Park - (Superimposed on th facade of the Dakota (in NYC) -- looked like I was walking through the clouds.

Skipping rope with my winter scarf (no coat in the freezing cold) - in Central Park with some of CPW's buildings in the background.

On a Ferry to Martha's Vinyard.

In a park surrounded by Cherry Blossoms.

Sitting at the fountain in Lincoln Center.

On & on. You get the pic. All were natural (not posed) and unretouched in beautiful surroundings. At 17, there's not much to retouch. :LOL: For the most part, think they want to see how you wear/look in clothes & if you're photogenic.

Most of all, they were beautiful memories to look back on that I treasure. His work/hobby was incredible. If nothing else, have fun with it.

Give it a try if you want. Be careful what you sign. You probably don't want to sign anything that gives him long term rights to your image, assignments or income.

Well, as long as he is not asking you to model, in "emperor's new close" (if you know what I mean) or if you do not mind it, (of course you might mind when you become rich & famous:) ) anyway age doesn’t matter. Go ahead, if it is safe.

Congratulations!!!! Just be careful and bringing a friend does seem like a good idea to me.

I'd go for it, but as suggested, bring a friend to make sure you aren't getting into something shady. Nowadays there is a market for models who are not what used to be the "ideal" --- in other words, at 25 you aren't past your sell-by date the way it was many years ago. As others have said, if it doesn't cost you anything, you'll at least get some good photos out of it. But do bring along a buddy to keep you (a) safe and (b) balanced.

I am 36 and still model, go for it. I have been modelling since I was 22. it's not something I had planned to do, I just got fed up of designers asking me to model their outfits and turning them down, so I took one shot at it, and quit my hotel job.From my experience, one job tends to lead to another.Ask to sign a TFP. That way you get prints to use as you like, like to create your own portfolio and he can do likewise.good luck and if you do do it, enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom