Mold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Moldy cheese is considered a delicacy, but moldy bread is considered garbage. Why is it? Aren’t they both should be on the same level? Isn’t mold just a mold, no matter if it is in cheese or in bread? :huh:

There are different kinds of mould. E.g., brie has a white mould and blue cheese has mould that is greenish blue. I don't know which ones are safe to eat.

Moldy cheese is considered a delicacy, but moldy bread is considered garbage. Why is it? Aren’t they both should be on the same level? Isn’t mold just a mold, no matter if it is in cheese or in bread? :huh:

Molds On Food: Are They Dangerous?

Some mold on foods can be dangerous. Mold on that one piece of bread, doesn't mean the rst of the loaf is safe. The spores of mold love to travel.:ohmy:

Molds On Food: Are They Dangerous?

Some mold on foods can be dangerous. Mold on that one piece of bread, doesn't mean the rst of the loaf is safe. The spores of mold love to travel.:ohmy:

Good article, most of it falls into the common sense category for me. Looks bad, smells bad, is bad. My mom always said "When in doubt, toss it out" This applies to cleaning closets/basements/attics too. If you haven't used, touched or looked at ________, in the past 6 months, out it goes.

Last edited:
I have never been concerned about the mold on hard cheese. I was taught to trim it off and wipe the fresh surface with apple cider vinegar. It works for me. Soft cheese I would toss.

With bread the mold does tend to travel on good whole grain, I would pitch it. The evil supermarket white bread is easier to perform a rescue by eliminating the slices with mold and since it has no taste to begin with the remaining bread is not much harmed.

No matter what it is, if it makes you squeamish I would chuck it. Your mind will play tricks on you and before you know it you will make yourself sick. A new loaf of bread is cheaper than a trip to the ER!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good article, most of it falls into the common sense category for me. Looks bad, smells bad, is bad. My mom always said "When in doubt, toss it out" This applies to cleaning closets/basements/attics too. If you haven't used, touched or looked at ________, in the past 6 months, out it goes.

I have a loaf of bread that I better check. Opened it about four or five weeks ago. Used one piece. :huh:

During the days of the Salem Witch Hunt, the folks were charged with making strange utterances. It has been determined that the problem was the bread. Even if it became moldy, the mold was cut off and the rest of the loaf eaten. Unfortunately, the mold had worked its way into the loaf without physical evidence of its presence. This type of mold was similar to LSD. Thus the strange utterances.

The good side of bread mold is penicillin. But I still wouldn't eat it until it had been changed into an antibiotic. :ohmy:

During the days of the Salem Witch Hunt, the folks were charged with making strange utterances. It has been determined that the problem was the bread. Even if it became moldy, the mold was cut off and the rest of the loaf eaten. Unfortunately, the mold had worked its way into the loaf without physical evidence of its presence. This type of mold was similar to LSD. Thus the strange utterances.

Mom was interested in this VERY subject. she found that it was a spore that was on the grain itself. While the name eludes me at the moment, EDITED Ergot. She did a field study and found the spore still in existance as recently as the late seventies. So it was not the bread, but the wheat itself. I will have to do a bit of memory {google} searching to refresh these weary brain cells.

Last edited:
Mom was interested in this VERY subject. she found that it was a spore that was on the grain itself. While the name eludes me at the moment. She did a field study and found the spore still in existance as recently as the late seventies. So it was not the bread, but the wheat itself. I will have to do a bit of memory {google} searching to refresh these weary brain cells.

In the link I posted, it mentions that certain molds are still found on our grains. This article is easy reading and well worth looking at. It mentions all the different types of molds found in our foods. :ermm:

The Wikipedia says it is ergot of rye or ergot.

I guess I better slow down on those rye crackers I have been munching on!

Well, molds have to be different. Good and Bad. A friend had a house with mold in the foundation and cellar. She miscarried a couple of times, her kids quit growing, and her husband was sick. They had to let the bank foreclose, because they couldn't afford the cost of cleaning it (if it was even possible) and couldn't possibly sell it.

all mold is not the same. Hard cheese; the mold gets cut away. Soft cheese and bread, trash. Obviously, cultured mold cheese is fine for most healthy people. Why take a chance? If the mold isn't supposed to be there, toss it. The cost of the loaf of bread is one heck of a lot less than the cost of a visit to your doctor, or heaven forbid, the emergency room.

Back
Top Bottom