"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Master Chef

Mold?

Moldy cheese is considered a delicacy, but moldy bread is considered garbage. Why is it? Arenít they both should be on the same level? Isnít mold just a mold, no matter if it is in cheese or in bread?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There are different kinds of mould. E.g., brie has a white mould and blue cheese has mould that is greenish blue. I don't know which ones are safe to eat.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Moldy cheese is considered a delicacy, but moldy bread is considered garbage. Why is it? Arenít they both should be on the same level? Isnít mold just a mold, no matter if it is in cheese or in bread?
Molds On Food: Are They Dangerous?

Some mold on foods can be dangerous. Mold on that one piece of bread, doesn't mean the rst of the loaf is safe. The spores of mold love to travel.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thinking that yeast molds are very different than cheese molds. Not sure if bread molds are edible, certainly not appealing visually. IMO
Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
Thinking that yeast molds are very different than cheese molds. Not sure if bread molds are edible, certainly not appealing visually. IMO
They smell bad too. I think that is a good indication that they probably aren't good for you.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Molds On Food: Are They Dangerous?

Some mold on foods can be dangerous. Mold on that one piece of bread, doesn't mean the rst of the loaf is safe. The spores of mold love to travel.
Good article, most of it falls into the common sense category for me. Looks bad, smells bad, is bad. My mom always said "When in doubt, toss it out" This applies to cleaning closets/basements/attics too. If you haven't used, touched or looked at ________, in the past 6 months, out it goes.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have never been concerned about the mold on hard cheese. I was taught to trim it off and wipe the fresh surface with apple cider vinegar. It works for me. Soft cheese I would toss.

With bread the mold does tend to travel on good whole grain, I would pitch it. The evil supermarket white bread is easier to perform a rescue by eliminating the slices with mold and since it has no taste to begin with the remaining bread is not much harmed.

No matter what it is, if it makes you squeamish I would chuck it. Your mind will play tricks on you and before you know it you will make yourself sick. A new loaf of bread is cheaper than a trip to the ER!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
Good article, most of it falls into the common sense category for me. Looks bad, smells bad, is bad. My mom always said "When in doubt, toss it out" This applies to cleaning closets/basements/attics too. If you haven't used, touched or looked at ________, in the past 6 months, out it goes.
I have a loaf of bread that I better check. Opened it about four or five weeks ago. Used one piece.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

During the days of the Salem Witch Hunt, the folks were charged with making strange utterances. It has been determined that the problem was the bread. Even if it became moldy, the mold was cut off and the rest of the loaf eaten. Unfortunately, the mold had worked its way into the loaf without physical evidence of its presence. This type of mold was similar to LSD. Thus the strange utterances.

The good side of bread mold is penicillin. But I still wouldn't eat it until it had been changed into an antibiotic.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
During the days of the Salem Witch Hunt, the folks were charged with making strange utterances. It has been determined that the problem was the bread. Even if it became moldy, the mold was cut off and the rest of the loaf eaten. Unfortunately, the mold had worked its way into the loaf without physical evidence of its presence. This type of mold was similar to LSD. Thus the strange utterances.
Mom was interested in this VERY subject. she found that it was a spore that was on the grain itself. While the name eludes me at the moment, EDITED Ergot. She did a field study and found the spore still in existance as recently as the late seventies. So it was not the bread, but the wheat itself. I will have to do a bit of memory {google} searching to refresh these weary brain cells.