"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Breakfast. Plain and simple. Some of my most "nostalgic" meals are a proper Swedish Pancake, or a buttery homemade waffle. Butter and powdered sugar with fresh sliced fruit, or some macerated berries. Simple and OH SO GOOD!

Now, don't get me wrong, mom made dinner every night I can remember, but breakfast, that was always something special as it wasn't often her schedule permitted being home on a weekend to cook it. As for her dinners, she never, to this day, has made a "bad meal", just some I enjoy more than others.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
Master Chef

My kids love a good cooked breakfast too :) I don't often have time to make it since they leave for school at 6 am.
My mom was only home about 2 weeks of every month so my gran made most of our meals. She made the best breakfast. Even her porridge tasted better. She cooked it slowly for ages :) I miss that!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

i think having a good breakfast cooked for children is just slightly more important than having a family dinner together.

it sets a tone for the day which is so important once life's real troubles begin in life.

if you wake up happy, you have a chance. if you wake up crappy, you deserve what you get.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i don't think so. norwegians don't use a lot of spices, save maybe s&p. they like very white food. it matches the environment, lol.
Snip--we also call that "snow blindness." A Lutheran Church supper in Northern MN typically included many foods covered with white sauce or whipped cream (lutefisk, scalloped potatoes, orange jello with bananas on the bottom and a layer of whipped cream on top)...oh, the whiteness of a Lutheran Church supper spread...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
Executive Chef

My Mom wasn't a great cook but she had a way of convincing us kids that something was very good and very special.

Dad worked nights so it was my 2 sisters, Mom and me for dinners most evenings.

She made a tuna casserole that most would be grossed out by but to this day I love it and make it when I need a "comfort food." She did make excellent liver and onions and convinced the 3 of us that it was very tasty .. still love liver and onions. Then there were the toasted tomato sandwiches ... another good job convincing us it was tasty. All cheap meals and still on my favorites list today.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
My Mom wasn't a great cook but she had a way of convincing us kids that something was very good and very special.

Dad worked nights so it was my 2 sisters, Mom and me for dinners most evenings.

She made a tuna casserole that most would be grossed out by but to this day I love it and make it when I need a "comfort food." She did make excellent liver and onions and convinced the 3 of us that it was very tasty .. still love liver and onions. Then there were the toasted tomato sandwiches ... another good job convincing us it was tasty. All cheap meals and still on my favorites list today.
I love liver and onions! My mom only used lambs liver and made the most amazing gravy with the cooking juices

Think I should make some liver and onions with mash over the weekend. You've got me drooling!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I love liver and onions! My mom only used lambs liver and made the most amazing gravy with the cooking juices

Think I should make some liver and onions with mash over the weekend. You've got me drooling!
We had calves liver once a week with a few crispy rashers of bacon, fried onions and mashed.

We used to have a local saloon that had it on the menu but, they finally discontinued it.

I think I will see if I can find some this weekend!

We can have a world wide liver fest!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
We had calves liver once a week with a few crispy rashers of bacon, fried onions and mashed.

We used to have a local saloon that had it on the menu but, they finally discontinued it.

I think I will see if I can find some this weekend!

We can have a world wide liver fest!
Count me in! I love liver Chicken, beef or lamb!
You should try making skilpadtjies. I think you'll like them. I've got my recipe under my threads on my profile here.
It's minced liver and stuff wrapped in caul fat

Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I love calve's liver. My mother didn't do the whole liver & onions thing though. She simply floured it and cooked it in bacon grease. I couldn't even tell you what the sides were it was so long ago. Probably mashed potatoes and butter for me.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
Head Chef

My Hungarian grandmother was a fantastic cook. All her recipes were in her head, she never wrote anything down, & made everything from scratch. She probably emigrated to the U.S. during the 20s, as well. She would tell me stories of how she dressed as a boy & travelled underground to escape from Hungary. My mother worked full time & supported my brother & I, so dishes were usually quick, i.e. meatloaf, mashed potatoes and canned vegetables. My grandmother always had all four burners going, & made feasts for the whole family on Sunday. She even travelled on the Subway in New York with shopping bags filled with homemade food. Some I remember, were her liver & potato knishes, stuffed cabbage, homemade chicken soup w/ matzo balls, chopped liver, & on and on. My mother was very creative with what little she had.

Tags
meals