Mom's Best Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
So many of us have mentioned the meals that remind us of home so I thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to meals our mom's made/make :)

What meal reminds you most of home? Your favourite meal your mom makes?

My mom is a very good cook but I think my favourite meal she makes has to be....
Her oxtail stew with loads of browned onion, baby carrots and whole portabella mushrooms :yum: She cooks it slowly overnight till it's fall of the bone tender.
For pudding I would choose her Sous Kluitjies (Sweet tender dumplings cooked in cinnamon sugar syrup) :yum:

My Mother was a fantastic cook and the things I remember most, of course, are the sweets. Pineapple upside down cake, mile high coconut cake, applesauce cake, mile high lemon meringue pie, soft molasses cookies, pearl tapioca pudding and on and on and on.

The simple things that I miss are the pan fried bread dough coated with cinnamon and sugar, she called them bullets for some reason. The second was a goulash made using home canned tomatoes elbow macaroni and ground beef. I have tried for many years to duplicate that simple dish and it never tastes right. The only thing I haven't tried is to run around the yard for several hours on a snowy winter day and then have a steaming bowl of it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My Mother was a fantastic cook and the things I remember most, of course, are the sweets. Pineapple upside down cake, mile high coconut cake, applesauce cake, mile high lemon meringue pie, soft molasses cookies, pearl tapioca pudding and on and on and on.

The simple things that I miss are the pan fried bread dough coated with cinnamon and sugar, she called them bullets for some reason. The second was a goulash made using home canned tomatoes elbow macaroni and ground beef. I have tried for many years to duplicate that simple dish and it never tastes right. The only thing I haven't tried is to run around the yard for several hours on a snowy winter day and then have a steaming bowl of it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've got all the recipes for the meals my mom makes that I loved as a child but it never tastes the same :(
It's always good but not mom's!!

Have you got a recipe for the soft molasses cookies? They sound devine!
and the pearled tapioca pudding :yum:

Snip,

The large pearl tapioca is just a large non-instant type of tapioca that you soak overnight. In some areas I have seen it called turtle tapioca. The directions on the packet will do the job. It is nice in the spring topped with a dollop of rhubarb sauce.

This is the link for the molasses cookies. Before putting them in the oven it is nice to sprinkle them with a little granulated sugar or make an indentation in the center and drop in a teaspoon of jelly.

Make em big and make em often! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/old-fashioned-molasses-cookies-78132.html

Snip,

The large pearl tapioca is just a large non-instant type of tapioca that you soak overnight. In some areas I have seen it called turtle tapioca. The directions on the packet will do the job. It is nice in the spring topped with a dollop of rhubarb sauce.

This is the link for the molasses cookies. Before putting them in the oven it is nice to sprinkle them with a little granulated sugar or make an indentation in the center and drop in a teaspoon of jelly.

Make em big and make em often! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/old-fashioned-molasses-cookies-78132.html

Yum! Those cookies sound great, my kids will love them :) Thank you!

City chicken. Back then you didn't have a hard time finding them with pork AND veal. The gravy she made was out of this world, only using the water she boiled the potatoes in. Something I can only get close to using broth or stock.

City chicken. Back then you didn't have a hard time finding them with pork AND veal. The gravy she made was out of this world, only using the water she boiled the potatoes in. Something I can only get close to using broth or stock.

This sounds to yummy! Had to Google it :LOL: My kind of chicken dish "no chicken"!

My mom makes a sauce for her pumpkin fritters with cornstarch that I can never get right :rolleyes: Drives me nuts, I've given up!

My mom never enjoyed cooking...but she used to make a crab marinara sauce and serve it over pasta (the shells). That was really good. Her wild blueberry pies were always good, too. Which reminds me, while I'm visiting, maybe I'll make that.

My favorite dish growing up was my mom's fried chicken with rice and gravy made from the chicken drippings. She tossed the chicken pieces in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning, fried them, and used extra seasoned flour in the gravy, too.

I haven't made this in years because I rarely fry foods and it makes a huge mess. But it's delicious :)

My favorite dish growing up was my mom's fried chicken with rice and gravy made from the chicken drippings. She tossed the chicken pieces in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning, fried them, and used extra seasoned flour in the gravy, too.

I haven't made this in years because I rarely fry foods and it makes a huge mess. But it's delicious :)

I don't fry foods at home because of the mess :LOL:
Oil splattered in my kitchen drives me crazy :wacko:

I used to love my mom's "homemade gravy" She told me a little while ago that it was instant brown onion Bisto! Total buzz kill :rolleyes:

I had never heard of city chicken until I saw it on DC a couple of years ago. I guess it wasn't an East coast thing.

When I think of my mom's cooking, I think of her Armenian foods. My parents emigrated from Armenia in the 1920s. I grew up in a home where the food was mostly dishes my folks ate in the "old country". We spoke Armenian as much as English.

I don't think there is a single favorite. It would be different based on my mood at the moment. She did a great job of making lamejun (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/1591-albums817-picture4208.jpg), a dish my daughter and I have made as well. She also made a great meal of dolma and sarma. Stuffed veggies, cabbage and grape leaves cooked in broth and topped with yogurt. I'll have to get my sister to make some for me.

Yum! My stepmom makes a similar Greek Dish. Stuffed vine leaves, zucchini, potatoes and spinach leaves cooked in a tomato broth. Love it!

She also makes a boiled dumpling filled with 2 kinds of cheese, chopped mint and egg yolks cooked in chicken broth. I love those the most.
She said it's called Rafgiolis? Not sure how to spell it and I can't find a recipe for it anywhere!

there's just so many: pot roast, lob scaus, chicken parm, roast chicken and turkey, roast beef, london broil, beef and veggie soup, fried breaded fish, smelts, pork chops - breaded or grilled, danish ham, meatloaf, crepes, omeletes, all kinds of sandwiches... i can't even think of them all right now.

suffice it to say as the last of 6 kids, my mom never cooked a bad meal imo. my eldest brother might disagree, but by the time i came around, she was a pro.

my bro ended up marrying a woman who always thought it was a chore to have to cook, and he never learned to cook either to be fair. their poor kids were raised on crappy takeout.

i took it upon myself to keep my mom's (later) standards up, and married a woman who felt the same about her mom. we are very blessed.

there's just so many: pot roast, lob scaus, chicken parm, roast chicken and turkey, roast beef, london broil, beef and veggie soup, fried breaded fish, smelts, pork chops - breaded or grilled, danish ham, meatloaf, crepes, omeletes, all kinds of sandwiches... i can't even think of them all right now.

suffice it to say as the last of 6 kids, my mom never cooked a bad meal imo. my eldest brother might disagree, but by the time i came around, she was a pro.

my bro ended up marrying a woman who always thought it was a chore to have to cook, and he never learned to cook either to be fair. their poor kids were raised on crappy takeout.

i took it upon myself to keep my mom's (later) standards up, and married a woman who felt the same about her mom. we are very blessed.

What is Lob Scaus?

a norwegian/north sea version of hash made with leftover shredded meats and fishes, with onions and potatoes and pickles mixed in. it's served with an fried egg on top, and often smoked fish and bread on the side.

it is!
and my mom's is the best. :)

she used to take whatever leftover meats or fishes we had, shred them, mix in a little can of corned beef, add par boiled potatoes, chopped pickles, and butter sweated potatoes, and combine it all together into a big, tasty, rib-stickin' glop.

Last edited:
it is!
and my mom's is the best. :)

she used to take whatever leftover meats or fishes we had, shred them, mix in a little can of corned beef, add par boiled potatoes, chopped pickles, and butter sweated potatoes, and combine it all together into a big, tasty, rib-stickin' glop.

:yum: Now I want to try it! I tried looking for a recipe on Google but the ones I found don't sound the same. Does she use spices?

i don't think so. norwegians don't use a lot of spices, save maybe s&p. they like very white food. it matches the environment, lol.

but seriously, that's probably why she added a little can of corned beef hash. it added the salt and extra flavour to the otherwise bland shredded protein and fillers. smoked fish was also longstanding, and the bread was probably more like hard biscuits. we had day or three old pumpernickel or rye that was toasted solid.

this was peasant food meant to be served on board a ship out on a multi-day fishing trip in order to use up leftovers,

or onshore before planning a raid of weak villages... :cool:

i don't think so. norwegians don't use a lot of spices, save maybe s&p. they like very white food. it matches the environment, lol.

but seriously, that's probably why she added a little can of corned beef hash. it added the salt and extra flavour to the otherwise bland shredded protein and fillers. smoked fish was also longstanding, and the bread was probably more like hard biscuits. we had day or three old pumpernickel or rye that was toasted solid.

this was peasant food meant to be served on board a ship out on a multi-day fishing trip in order to use up leftovers,

I'm sure the pickles and smoked fish and meat add plenty flavor :)
I'm going to experiment a bit! Have to try this :yum:

or onshore before planning a raid of weak villages... :cool:
I'm sure the pickles and smoked fish and meat add plenty flavor :)
I'm going to experiment a bit! Have to try this :yum:

Back
Top Bottom