Montreal bagels in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, tl. Interesting that their All Dressed bagel includes onion and garlic but they don't offer either one separately in a bagel.
I'm a bit of purist about bagels. I want the ones with sesame seeds. But, when you wrote that you make onion bagels, that sounded good (and appropriate). One of these days I will have to get to their store and try those all dressed bagels. I usually just pick up their bagels at a local deli that gets deliveries from them and Fairmount every day.

I should give their whole wheat bagels another try. I tried them about 25 years ago and didn't like them, much to my surprise. Haven't tried them again since.

Last edited:
Back when I used to make bagels, I made Montreal bagels, except I didn't know they were bagels, I used a recipe a Jewish friend's mom gave me. Her recipe used malt syrup. The trick was to boil them in a shallow pan (I used my mom's wok) for 60 seconds, flipping them once, drain on a tea towel for about 10 minutes before baking. She also would put two bricks in the oven, heat the oven to 450, and then drop the temperature to 425 when she baked them. Poppy or sesame seeds were sprinkled on them right before baking them. My favorite to make were pumpernickel with caraway seeds...maybe when I get ahead of the gardening, spring cleaning, and work, I'll have time to make a batch of her bagels. To me, that was how bagels were supposed to be. When I first had Montreal bagels, I thought they were just like the ones Mrs. Schwartz made.

Back
Top Bottom