Montreal bagels in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Located just a block away from the best falafel in NYC! (the woman who was on throwdown and chopped).

I am spending more and more time in that neighborhood when I am in NYC and will definitely check it out.

What makes them a Montreal style bagel?
From Bagel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two most prominent styles of traditional bagel in North America are the Montreal-style bagel and the New York-style bagel. The Montreal bagel contains malt and sugar with no salt; it is boiled in honey-sweetened water before baking in a wood-fired oven; and it is predominantly either of the poppy "black" or sesame "white" seeds variety. The New York bagel contains salt and malt and is boiled in water prior to baking in a standard oven. The resulting New York bagel is puffy with a moist crust, while the Montreal bagel is smaller (though with a larger hole), crunchier, and sweeter.[21

Here's a pic of one of Montreal's bagel "factories". The bagels are rolled into rings by hand.

800px-Fairmount_Bagels_Loaf.jpg

And here's one of their main competition.

st-viateur-bagel-and-cafe-monkland.jpg

I've never heard of a Montreal bagel. Is that what they serve Montreal smoked meat on?
Heck no! Montreal smoked meat is served on rye bread. It is also sometimes offered as a pizza topping or poutine topping.

Shwartzs-Montreal-Smoked-Meat-7.jpg

Last edited:
When I make bagels, they have salt and are boiled in water with sugar added. They are not sweet at all.

When I make bagels, they have salt and are boiled in water with sugar added. They are not sweet at all.
Yeah, I've never noticed Montreal bagels being sweet and I'm really picky. If they were at all sweet, I wouldn't eat them with lox and cream cheese. They are chewy.

Yeah, I've never noticed Montreal bagels being sweet and I'm really picky. If they were at all sweet, I wouldn't eat them with lox and cream cheese. They are chewy.

I only make onion bagels because they are my favorite. The are plump and chewy.

I only make onion bagels because they are my favorite. The are plump and chewy.
I guess the big difference in a Montreal style bagel is that they aren't plump. (and the wood fired oven) I think the second rise, after they have been shaped, is very short.

I guess the big difference in a Montreal style bagel is that they aren't plump. (and the wood fired oven) I think the second rise, after they have been shaped, is very short.

How you shape them plays a big part. The pictures show the baker rolling ropes of dough and making a ring of dough. Thinner ring and bigger hole in the middle. You can't have a fat bagel doing it that way.

I make a ball of dough then poke a hole in the middle and spin the dough around on my finger to open it to donut shape. I start with a thicker ring of dough and almost no hole at all. More surface to spread cream cheese and lox.

1591-albums817-picture4204.jpg

How you shape them plays a big part. The pictures show the baker rolling ropes of dough and making a ring of dough. Thinner ring and bigger hole in the middle. You can't have a fat bagel doing it that way.

I make a ball of dough then poke a hole in the middle and spin the dough around on my finger to open it to donut shape. I start with a thicker ring of dough and almost no hole at all. More surface to spread cream cheese and lox.

1591-albums817-picture4204.jpg
Those look yummy. They just look all wrong as bagels to me. ;) I've been eating Montreal style for too long. I wonder if the twisting of the rope affects the flavour. I'm pretty sure that's why they are dense. You're right that you can't fit as much cream cheese, but you fit just as much salmon.

Those look yummy. They just look all wrong as bagels to me. ;) I've been eating Montreal style for too long. I wonder if the twisting of the rope affects the flavour. I'm pretty sure that's why they are dense. You're right that you can't fit as much cream cheese, but you fit just as much salmon.

Thanks. I've never had Montreal type bagels. I'll bet they're great. Are they offered in as many different flavors as bagels in the US?

Was at St. Viateur a couple of weeks ago. I have a few left in my freezer.
Those are my favourite. If the bagels are still hot from the oven, then Fairmount bagels are almost as good. When you toast them, the difference becomes more pronounced. I did comparisons when I lived around the corner from the original Saint-Viateur Bagel Factory (near Park Ave) and Fairmount wasn't far.

BTW, the original Saint-Viateur store has the best oven for bagels. At least that's what I figure. The ones from the other Saint-Viateur stores are marginally less wonderful. Sometimes the original St-Viateur store runs out of bagels and they bring them from their store down the street. I learned to always ask for hot bagels, even if I was going to freeze them. The hot ones are always the ones baked at the store where one is buying them.

Umm, what means that thing?

:LOL: Colorful question.
What could have been writen was the woman on the TV shows Throwdown and Chopped.
And what you could have asked was, what do you mean by this?

In the words of Steve Martin, "Some people have a way with words and other people... not have way." :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom