"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
...**** Scotch, That's lot of cab fair, Maybe I should become a cabby, LOL....
I've been asking just about every business person I run into how things are going, from the guy who cuts my hair to my dentist. They all tell me that business is off big time, but the cabbies seem to have the worst problem of all. They tell me their fares are off 40 to 60 percent! And gas is going up again, too. So I -- that is my clients -- tip pretty well.

Tough way to make a living.

Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Master Chef
I happen to love public transportation, and simply have never been able to afford cabs on a regular basis. Given a choice, I walk. I live in a community that has almost no public transportation. Yes, I've had some bad experiences on public buses, to include having a bus almost hijacked (the bus driver kept his head and managed to pull over a cop who removed the thug in DC). On the other hand, I've had wonderful experiences. One of my favorites wasn't mine, but was my parents, who were in Hawaii for my wedding. They could have had use of the car, but husband and I were both working (and yes, I bussed to work), but Mom asked me if there was a city bus. Yes. This was in 1983, and you could ride all day for something like 50 cents. There was a sign above the driver that said something like "I am not a tour guide." Mom and Dad took the bus that went around the entire island (Oahu) and simply asked anyone sitting near them what they were seeing, and got off and on when it pleased them. Jerry and I got home that day and Mom & Dad were thrilled. They'd seen the island through the eyes of locals; nurses on their way to work, children on their way home from activities, night workers coming home after a night shift. Yes, you get a pissy smell on occaision. But I really like public transportation and use it whenever I hit a city that has it.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Head Chef
Interesting article in today's (5/25/09) Los Angeles Times regarding taxi cabs and how hard the drivers work to earn a profit:

Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote