"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Moral situation?

Ok, 2 years ago I took a ride ont he city bus, It was in the summer months so I could get to work and back home, the bus bus smelt sweaty & smelt like pee, we couldn't roll the windows down the the ride was very bumpy, And the best part there was some considerable characters on the bus you wouldn't want to turn your back on.

Ever since that ride, I've voughed I would never to ride public transportation again, Unless it was a cab, But our town is only know for the city buses.

Now that I live in the city, I'm thinking very very hard if I want to try the bus ride again, but this time I will be bringing about $5,000 worth of camera bodies, lens, electric bike with me.

I'm wondering if I should look up taxies and see how much it would be for a 6 mile ride there and back?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Master Chef

Before taking all your valuables with you on a city bus, perhaps it would be wise to take a trial ride to your destination before you have to be there just to check out the situation. That will give you an idea of the condition of the bus, the route, the other passengers etc. before traveling with that expensive equipment. It will allow you to make a more informed decision based on what is actually available rather relying on past experience in a different place. You can also price out cab fare easily enough by phone and then you can make the best decision.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Before taking all your valuables with you on a city bus, perhaps it would be wise to take a trial ride to your destination before you have to be there just to check out the situation. That will give you an idea of the condition of the bus, the route, the other passengers etc. before traveling with that expensive equipment. It will allow you to make a more informed decision based on what is actually available rather relying on past experience in a different place. You can also price out cab fare easily enough by phone and then you can make the best decision.
Thanks Jabbur, I've done the price quote on the taxi's just now over the phone.

I was sticker shocked, for a 4-6mile ride they want 12 dollars with bike and camera gear. That's one way, Isn't that freaking ripp off?

I would just ride my bike, but I'm just re learning to ride my bike after 15 years.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

I would add a rack and a set of panniers on the bike and commute by bike. If you're reasonably fit it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to your destination assuming it's a fairly flat commute (meaning no hills).
Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

That's pretty standard charge, Derek, and in fact it's pretty low based on my experience. I take a cab to and from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) a couple if times per month. It's about 7 miles from my home, all on surface streets. It costs about $20 one way IF the traffic is good, over $30 in the heavy late afternoon traffic. Plus tip!

It's worth it to me because (1) it saves a lot of time -- 30 minutes or more each way -- compared to driving, parking, and taking a shuttle bus to and from the terminal, (2) parking in a secured lot is about $20 a day anyway, and (3) my clients end up paying.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

I guess it is really hard to figure out with out knowing where you live, what you have been doing now for the ride etc.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

i bus it often. very occassionaly, i'll see someone with a problem, but then i think, 'they don't meant to' (i.e.- talk to themselves, stuff like that.) & the busses here smell alright. not bleach-clean; average enough, though.

so i travel them freely, with my expensive knives, & fret not. although i keep my phone with me.

what city probably hugely weighs in.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post

so i travel them freely, with my expensive knives, & fret not.
Even if I were a bad guy I wouldn't mess with anyone carrying knives....:D
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Even if I were a bad guy I wouldn't mess with anyone carrying knives....:D

they would be kinda dumb to!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I would add a rack and a set of panniers on the bike and commute by bike. If you're reasonably fit it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to your destination assuming it's a fairly flat commute (meaning no hills).
I'm planing on the panners, but it has a rack all ready, Here's my bike.

And it's 90+ pounds, It's not like a specialized where it's only 25 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
That's pretty standard charge, Derek, and in fact it's pretty low based on my experience. I take a cab to and from the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) a couple if times per month. It's about 7 miles from my home, all on surface streets. It costs about $20 one way IF the traffic is good, over $30 in the heavy late afternoon traffic. Plus tip!

It's worth it to me because (1) it saves a lot of time -- 30 minutes or more each way -- compared to driving, parking, and taking a shuttle bus to and from the terminal, (2) parking in a secured lot is about $20 a day anyway, and (3) my clients end up paying.
**** Scotch, That's lot of cab fair, Maybe I should become a cabby, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I guess it is really hard to figure out with out knowing where you live, what you have been doing now for the ride etc.
In a tourist trap, And it's tailaord for the bike crowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i bus it often. very occassionaly, i'll see someone with a problem, but then i think, 'they don't meant to' (i.e.- talk to themselves, stuff like that.) & the busses here smell alright. not bleach-clean; average enough, though.

so i travel them freely, with my expensive knives, & fret not. although i keep my phone with me.

what city probably hugely weighs in.
I don't even think they they understand what bleach is.