"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
reasons you haven't left a tip, or a miniscule tip...
Tips are a touchy subject with me. Give me great service, I leave a great tip. Give me poor service, or way less than I expect, and I leave nothing. I don't think I have ever left a miniscule tip, they probably wouldn't understand why. Depending on how annoyed I am, I will tell the the person directly. But, sometimes, especially if the server is the major problem, I'll go to the manager / owner.

If it is the person serving me's fault, no tip. If it's due to extenuating circumstances (server is great, food is lousy, spa is overbooked), I'll tip, but will speak to the manager.

If I book an appointment, whether the spa, hairdresser, dentist (doctor is the exception), and they are more than 15 minutes behind schedule, I walk, and make them re-schedule my appointment. My time is as valuable as theirs. One off is ok, but with some places , it's habitual They don't like losing the business, so will hopefully shape up.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Gosh, VeraBlue.......I so want to take you to my nail place.....it's spotless and the service is impeccable and it's cheap......the service staff are Vietnamese and I treated my best friend to a pedicure for her birthday......MY GUY'S cell phone rang innumerable times and I even encouraged him to answer it and he waved me off......he was determined to render my feet acceptable to the general public (and believe me they were hideous after being in Kazakhstan for 6 months). This was my friend's first pedicure ever. She was amazed........and so pampered.......both of our attendants were attentive and spoke English and I really don't think wanted to leave our company.......Linda is just as "crazy" as I am....I, too, had to call ahead of time and tell them that we were running late but it wasn't a problem....yes, they do need a courtesy call just like you, the customer does

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

If I have been given shoddy service or poor food/service. If it is a chain I go to my PC and git the home address and write them a ""nice "" letter describing my problem and it has worked wonders. Some tail feathers I am sure were burnt beyond recognition but on further visits My service improved remarkably, and food was some what improved.
I learned a long time ago do not talk to the Indians talk to the chief and it has worked for many years. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Many years ago we wrote a letter stating what we were unhappy about with a recent experience at a pizza resturant (national chain). We got a good reply back and vouchers for the same resturant chain - we were very ambivelent about going back. I think we eventually used them in another town, but it was over a year later.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Some time ago, four of us went to the Olive Garden for a Sunday lunch. The service was sub-par throughout. Apps didn't come until after the entree, wrong entrees, etc.

I sent an email to the home office and received an immediate apology. The also sent me a $50 gift certificate and asked me to please go back and try it again.

S.O. and I went back again and had an excellent experience. I sent another email telling them so and praising the waitress we had (by name).

Olive Garden thanked me and said they appreciated the positive feedback as they only ever get complaints.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
Sous Chef

pitiful......
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
pitiful......

Would you clarify?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
pitiful......

????????????
Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
If I have been given shoddy service or poor food/service. If it is a chain I go to my PC and git the home address and write them a ""nice "" letter describing my problem and it has worked wonders. Some tail feathers I am sure were burnt beyond recognition but on further visits My service improved remarkably, and food was some what improved.
I learned a long time ago do not talk to the Indians talk to the chief and it has worked for many years. Just my 2 cents
Works most of the time, if they care about maintaining their business. Too many just forget about it and have the same thing happen the NEXT time. Like children, have to keep on bringing attention to something not right. Just keep on bringing attention, bringing attention, bringing attention to something not being done right; finally, after so many times the problem will be given attention. BUT got to keep on keepin on complaining.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Some time ago, four of us went to the Olive Garden for a Sunday lunch. The service was sub-par throughout. Apps didn't come until after the entree, wrong entrees, etc.

I sent an email to the home office and received an immediate apology. The also sent me a $50 gift certificate and asked me to please go back and try it again.

S.O. and I went back again and had an excellent experience. I sent another email telling them so and praising the waitress we had (by name).

Olive Garden thanked me and said they appreciated the positive feedback as they only ever get complaints.
Such a good point, Andy. I usually take the time to seek out a manager and make them aware of exceptionally good service or food. There is always a moment of tension when I first ask to speak to a manager. It's because they rarely get called aside for a compliment - only complaints.

The extra bonus in taking the time to do this is I am almost always welcomed warmly on return visits and given great service. They really remember someone complimenting their establishment.