"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

It is true that too many people are so quick to complain, but not to compliment.

We went out to dinner a few nights ago. There was a 20 minute wait. We were with my folks and my kids as well. The hostess actually bumped us up in the list when a secluded table opened up. She said she has young kids too and knew this would be the perfect spot for us and didn't want us to have to wait. She acted purely out of the kindness of her heart and it really helped us tremendously. My wife made sure to ask her name on the way out so she could tell the owner how well she treated us and that because of her we will be back more often. I need to find out if she actually ever did call.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Try living in England where customer service doesn't exist at all!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Try living in England where customer service doesn't exist at all!!!
Not quite - I admit it can be a desert for customer service - but I have also had very good customer service.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I've been lucky i guess, or I don' tget out much, or I only go to places recommended.
I only had 2 occasions where I actually walked out. 2 food places. And then my (now Ex-) husband made me the bad guy for returning meat/fish.
Nothing but korean nail people here, and after many tries at various places, speaking engish and not, and paying tons of money, just like being short (5'3") I resigned myself that it wasn't gonna happen.
Cell phone use though, to me, is not acceptable. I keep for emergencies only. But I've alway said I'm a dinosaur.Manners are not.

Sorry for your troubles.
But we're all still waiting for bowlingshirt's comment - "pitiful".
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
Executive Chef

One thing for sure is whether it's in person or on the internet I always complain very diplomatically you get more with sugar than vinegar. If you start screaming or get nasty you usually get nothing in return but if you are nice and polite most always people will bend over backwards to make it right.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
One thing for sure is whether it's in person or on the internet I always complain very diplomatically you get more with sugar than vinegar. If you start screaming or get nasty you usually get nothing in return but if you are nice and polite most always people will bend over backwards to make it right.
While I agree that it is better to complain the way you describe, I do not agree that nasty people usually get nothing in return. I have witnessed on many occasions a nasty complainer getting comped dishes, meals, coupons for free meals on return visits, and all sorts of other freebies. I have seen managers bend over backward, sometimes even more so for those people than the ones who act appropriately. I have seen the polite people get nothing at all or very little while the nasty person gets more. This does not happen every time, but it sure does happen.

There is no doubt that acting polite is the better way to go, but not because of what you may or may not get as far as comps.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

i start out polite. if that doesn't work, i complain a little louder. mostly at the doctors office. the squeaky wheel gets the oil

babe
Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i start out polite. if that doesn't work, i complain a little louder. mostly at the doctors office. the squeaky wheel gets the oil

babe
I worked in a major ENT clinic in Houston and believe me the patients who squeaked got the service........one customer who was a major real estate agent in Houston walked thru the door, said she was there for Dr. s.........and barked that she'd be ****ed if she'd wait (this is a Dr. whose office booked patients two at a time every 15 minutes0--in front of her I dialed the doctors office and repeated word for word what she said......she looked at me with some pride....she'll be ****ed if she waits and they said "send her on back" she smiled at me and down the hall she marched..........I laughed, too...what a lady with an attitude........
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
Head Chef

Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was convinced that the Korean manicurists were talking about her? Sure enough, they were....LOL.

I was at the grocery store awhile back and the two clerks (one checking, one bagging) were having quite a conversation about the contents of my grocery cart, in Spanish, of course. Nothing really uncomplimentary, but things like "She must have a very grand house," and "she is buying lots of very expensive food." When they were done, I asked them, in Spanish, to please validate my parking ticket and thanked them for their service. Their mouths were still hanging open when I left.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
Executive Chef

This reminded me of a couple, maybe 5, years ago.
I grew up on Celantano frozen ravioli s, so I of course bought them also. But they became very doughy, very little filling and not held together well.
So I called there 800 #, voiced the same, and the cust. service person apologized and said they'd send me a $1.00 coupon for my next package. I was AGHAST! and said, what are you kidding. Didn't you just hear me. Keep your coupon. I'm not buying anymore, not even if they're free.

How confused she was! (she must not cook) I haven't bought more and make my own with wonton wrappers and stuff the heck out of them.
Oh my, I haven't made in a while and am getting hungry.
I'll have to pull sauce and wrappers out of the freezer for tonight. And post in what's for dinner tonight.