More about customer service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh don't even get me started on this:angry:.
Funny dumb me, I thought I lived in the good ole US of A. Not Mexico:ohmy:
A lady walked in to my salon one day, spoke only Spanish, I was the only one there and she was trying to ask me something, which not speaking Spanish I had no idea where she was going with her words. I kept saying No Espanole, English por favor. She kept up with her Espanole and I finally said, in English, duh, "Maam, you're in America, you need to speak English here." Not that she understood but I felt a bunch better, I then hugged her because I knew she was having a hard time.:neutral:

I was reluctant to bring up my parents and their life with trying to communicate. Received great deal of ridicule but they said this is America and we have to do accordingly.

I am so thankful LEFSElover that you talked about having an experience like this because it makes me feel better. Better because I know my parents would have done what you expected. When you wanted to tell her you never understood, why did she continue? I have that in the store lot of times. I shrug my shoulders and tell them I don't know but they continue like I SHOULD know what they want. They are the ones who should try to understand you. I AM SORRY but I just don't think this is RIGHT! I remember Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan would have had some kind of rule about this. Thanks LEFSElover for making me feel like I am not alone. AT least I know there is someone else that shares my aggravation. I know it is experience you won't forget.

I think we may be getting dangerously close to politics here, but I just want to share that we are having the exact opposite experience here in Mexico. We live in a small town where very few people speak English. Since we are guests here, we feel it is our obligation to learn Spanish and we are really really trying, believe me. We've been taking classes for two years. Everyone is very kind about our efforts and helps us along. If you want to pay your electric bill, go to the hardware store, employ workers to fix your plumbing, go to the gas station, you have to be able to speak the language. We are doing better all the time, but are by no means fluent. We are at the stage where we can ask about any question, but might not understand the answers!

Karen, I salute you and your hubby for realizing you are guests in another country and making the effort to learn their language.

See? You people see things the way they should be! Has the amount of people coming in to the United States been so many and so fast that they can't really explain to them what is expected? Must be some break somewhere that isn't being t ended to. I thought that is how it works that you want to blend in not stand out and cause confusion. Only my opinion.

I think there have always been enclaves of immigrants in the US who continue to speak their native languages and uphold their own customs, especially in larger cities. My grandparents came to the US on 1905, and never really spoke much English. German was my Dad's first language, and by going to school, he learned to speak English well. I know people whose families emigrated from Italy, Poland, Belgium - many of them never learned to speak English.

My grandparents had a hard time at first due to being Norwegian. But soon they learned [to make it here] you had to act like [you wanted to be here/fit in/not stick out like a foreigner]. They were both successful but I think back then, it was different. Now, it's almost rude for us to get annoyed [if that's even the right word] when they openly speak in their language like it's their country where they're from. It's not, it's America. Everyone seems to have forgotten that and as for politics, I don't, repeat don't believe in political correctness. I personally think we've all backed way down for way too long. And if that's wrong of me to say, MODS erase please. But for me and my family, fly that flag Ole Glory and let her wave proudly just like she does real high in my own front yard.

My sons fiance, is Polish from Poland as are her wonderful parents who speak the language as well as anyone here. They are both PHD's but knew to make it here in this country, they'd better at least learn the language.

Last edited:
My grandparents had a hard time at first due to being Norwegian. But soon they learned [to make it here] you had to act like [you wanted to be here/fit in/not stick out like a foreigner]. They were both successful but I think back then, it was different. Now, it's almost rude for us to get annoyed [if that's even the right word] when they openly speak in their language like it's their country where they're from. It's not, it's America. Everyone seem to have forgotten that and as for politics, I don't, repeat don't believe in political correctness. I personally think we've all backed way down for way too long. And if that's wrong of me to say, MODS erase please. But for me and my family, fly that flag Ole Glory and let her wave proudly just like she does real high in my own front yard.

My sons fiance, is Polish from Poland as are her wonderful parents who speak the language as well as anyone here. They are both PHD's but knew to make it here in this country, they'd better at least learn the language.

i think u are totally right. no english speakers are a big problem here in ca.
i think the powers that be have given up. everything and even our ballots are in english and spanish. several others are given as well, don't know the names of the rest.

this is america.

babe:whistling:whistling:whistling

i think u are totally right. no english speakers are a big problem here in ca.
i think the powers that be have given up. everything and even our ballots are in english and spanish. several others are given as well, don't know the names of the rest. this is america.
it's hard to know these days if it's ok to speak your mind. I have no trouble doing that but being offensive to my friends isn't something I would knowingly do.

:) I was better with German than English when we came from Germany I was ten years old. Of course I learned the language I had to. I think that when you decide to live in any country you need to at least master the basics and then some if you want to function in that country. Those that will not learn the language are either arrogant or lazy or still too attached to the country they came from if thats the case then just stay there. You should not expect to move to another country and decide not to accept it's ways and yet benefit from all the things you will appreciate that you did not have in your former country.It's almost a slap in the face if someone comes to the states and refuses to learn our language and the insists their children should be taught in school with their native language and so on. Kids learn faster than anyone a new language. Even a foreigner that is just visiting will try to learn a few words and phrases to get by. The only people that may move here that should get some slack is the old grandparent maybe 75 or older.
I also do not appreciate foreigners who move here and refuse to have anything to do with the natives of a country, not learn the language/customs and just stay in their own neighborhoods because they may hate Americans but still want the American Dream. This doe's not mean you still can't celebrate your own heritage, customs etc but to accept and still be proud to be here. That is why we call America the Melting Pot.
I know not all foreigners are that way and I for one love meeting and becoming great friends with people from all over the world and learning from each other especially as most of us here a new great recipe.:):)

While the discussion of immigration and language is interesting, it is substantially OFF TOPIC.

Let's get back to the subject at hand, which is customer service.

:) Gotcha! As usual I have yet again crossed the line. Sorry! I never realize that is what I have done until I get yet another reprimand. :) I honestly thought I was going along with the thread. I guess I need to get in line to Doves wood shed.;)

:) Gotcha! As usual I have yet again crossed the line. Sorry! I never realize that is what I have done until I get yet another reprimand. :) I honestly thought I was going along with the thread. I guess I need to get in line to Doves wood shed.;)
Oh me too. But I was at least, in the waiting line for reprimand. These words came later than expected.

No one did anything wrong. These threads sometimes take on a life of their own and the natural course of the conversation changes. We all just sometimes need a reminder of what the original topic was about so we can get back on track. Andy was not reprimanding anyone, just reminding them.

Thanks, GB, for trying to make everyone feel better! This is such an amazing board - a big round of applause to all of you who gently keep us on track and make it such a warm and friendly place to be.

I think this usually cold Norwegian just got a little hot under the collar is all. I'd say forgive me, but it'd be, uh, well.......................nothing to forgive, thanks for the calm though....

No one did anything wrong. These threads sometimes take on a life of their own and the natural course of the conversation changes. We all just sometimes need a reminder of what the original topic was about so we can get back on track. Andy was not reprimanding anyone, just reminding them.

I admit I am guilty of this but I just don't take the time to start a new topic rather feel it relates to what the discussion is about. GB, it sure is upsetting when I go to a store and the people at the customer service do not know how to respond to me and I have to tell them to call their supervisor or boss man as they tell me. Seems it takes more time AND money to have someone who cannot understand or speak English. I feel putting them in Customer Service is good idea as they will learn this way, but if they continue speaking their own native language when not on the job I feel this is waste. GB, you tell me how you feel? I think JPMCGREW made outstanding comments, guess that is off topic too. I apologize about going off topic and do not do it intentionally. I just write the way I have a conversation; guess that is not right either. I don't want to intentionally upset anyone. Certainly grateful I do know English.

I didn't intend my post to convey anger. It was just a reminder to change direction and was not directed at any one person.

All this apologizing is off topic. Can we gat back to the OP's question?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom