"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #51
Executive Chef

I was better with German than English when we came from Germany I was ten years old. Of course I learned the language I had to. I think that when you decide to live in any country you need to at least master the basics and then some if you want to function in that country. Those that will not learn the language are either arrogant or lazy or still too attached to the country they came from if thats the case then just stay there. You should not expect to move to another country and decide not to accept it's ways and yet benefit from all the things you will appreciate that you did not have in your former country.It's almost a slap in the face if someone comes to the states and refuses to learn our language and the insists their children should be taught in school with their native language and so on. Kids learn faster than anyone a new language. Even a foreigner that is just visiting will try to learn a few words and phrases to get by. The only people that may move here that should get some slack is the old grandparent maybe 75 or older.
I also do not appreciate foreigners who move here and refuse to have anything to do with the natives of a country, not learn the language/customs and just stay in their own neighborhoods because they may hate Americans but still want the American Dream. This doe's not mean you still can't celebrate your own heritage, customs etc but to accept and still be proud to be here. That is why we call America the Melting Pot.
I know not all foreigners are that way and I for one love meeting and becoming great friends with people from all over the world and learning from each other especially as most of us here a new great recipe.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

While the discussion of immigration and language is interesting, it is substantially OFF TOPIC.

Let's get back to the subject at hand, which is customer service.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Gotcha! As usual I have yet again crossed the line. Sorry! I never realize that is what I have done until I get yet another reprimand. I honestly thought I was going along with the thread. I guess I need to get in line to Doves wood shed.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Gotcha! As usual I have yet again crossed the line. Sorry! I never realize that is what I have done until I get yet another reprimand. I honestly thought I was going along with the thread. I guess I need to get in line to Doves wood shed.
Oh me too. But I was at least, in the waiting line for reprimand. These words came later than expected.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #55
Chief Eating Officer

No one did anything wrong. These threads sometimes take on a life of their own and the natural course of the conversation changes. We all just sometimes need a reminder of what the original topic was about so we can get back on track. Andy was not reprimanding anyone, just reminding them.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #56
Head Chef

Thanks, GB, for trying to make everyone feel better! This is such an amazing board - a big round of applause to all of you who gently keep us on track and make it such a warm and friendly place to be.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

that's good administrative customer service!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #58
Executive Chef

I think this usually cold Norwegian just got a little hot under the collar is all. I'd say forgive me, but it'd be, uh, well.......................nothing to forgive, thanks for the calm though....
Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
No one did anything wrong. These threads sometimes take on a life of their own and the natural course of the conversation changes. We all just sometimes need a reminder of what the original topic was about so we can get back on track. Andy was not reprimanding anyone, just reminding them.
I admit I am guilty of this but I just don't take the time to start a new topic rather feel it relates to what the discussion is about. GB, it sure is upsetting when I go to a store and the people at the customer service do not know how to respond to me and I have to tell them to call their supervisor or boss man as they tell me. Seems it takes more time AND money to have someone who cannot understand or speak English. I feel putting them in Customer Service is good idea as they will learn this way, but if they continue speaking their own native language when not on the job I feel this is waste. GB, you tell me how you feel? I think JPMCGREW made outstanding comments, guess that is off topic too. I apologize about going off topic and do not do it intentionally. I just write the way I have a conversation; guess that is not right either. I don't want to intentionally upset anyone. Certainly grateful I do know English.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

I didn't intend my post to convey anger. It was just a reminder to change direction and was not directed at any one person.

All this apologizing is off topic. Can we gat back to the OP's question?