More flooding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
This is our court house..it's on an island in the middle of the Cedar River. The river is expected to flow over these bridges on Friday!

Iowa sees another night of rising rivers - Weather - MSNBC.com

gyi0055102988.rp420x400.jpg

I've heard on the radio up here that the weather hasn't even been bad there and all the water is coming from up this way.
Sorry!!!!
I hope you are ok.... my SIL goes to college in Winona which is where they got 7 inches of rain the other day and getting it again today... thankfully she is home for the summer.

Greetings

Greetings from Flooded Des Moines.. All of our down town bridges are closed a good share of down town is sandbagged up to the first floor windows in the intertainment district, and some of the river front Codo's are sandbgged. We are right now at 2300 hours cdt under a severe storm/tornado warning with a predicted 3-5 inches additional rain forcast tonight. according to the experts this flood is a record breaker
some have called it a 500 year flood say a prayer for us that it does not git any worse. Dave

Last edited:
I think they outta stop calling them 200-500 year floods.
I think I have seen about 3 such titled floods in Iowa since I moved here!
Either I'm REALLY old, or they need to be called 7-15 year floods.

Floods, tornados, extremely long cold season, heat waves.

What is going on this year?

Be safe all, will keep praying for you and your loved ones safety.​

We're in the middle of another storm on top of all the flooding, we now have the flash flooding to deal with.

Luckily I'm out of the flood area. This is just horrible. It's the 500 year flood here.

I've heard on the radio up here that the weather hasn't even been bad there and all the water is coming from up this way.
Sorry!!!!
I hope you are ok.... my SIL goes to college in Winona which is where they got 7 inches of rain the other day and getting it again today... thankfully she is home for the summer.

You Minnesotans need to learn to keep your water to yourself!!:LOL:

I have seen it high in Cedar Rapids, but not that high before! I remember going to southern Illinois and it was all flooded out there as well, couldn't even get to the fort!
DW's aunt lived on a bluff over the Mississippi River, when it flooded all you saw below her was water for miles...

My heart goes out to you Angie. I watched the news last night and could not believe what I was seeing. I live north of you in Dubuque along the Mississippi. We just found out this morning that all of the traffic from the east and the west on Interstate 80 will be rerouted though our city, for the next couple of days. They closed 80 from Davenport to Des Moines because of the flood by you. They will have to travel on highway 20 which runs right through our city. They have warned us to avoid that area. I hope and pray that the water will be going down soon for you guys. We use to have floods all the time until they built the flood wall. God bless you all.

Stay safe! Glad to hear you are okay!!

Global warming.. I wish people had sense to do something about it! We used to get along just fine living on the land.

Gee, maybe I'd better call my cousins and see if they are OK. One lives on NE 26th St, and the other in Ankeny.

26th St NE isn't near the river ... don't know about Ankeny.

I saw video of Cedar Rapids (where I grew up) this am and was shocked.
It looks like New Orleans after Katrina!

:(:(:(

Angie -- are those underwater bridges 1st, 2nd and 3rd ave? With I80 over on the left?

Last edited:
Our city is in trouble. Devastation is huge. Water shortages, power outages..and the river hasn't even crested yet.

Quaker Oats
img_626025_0_dbed36ff53eb19294c90641dc288c4be.jpg

City Hall
img_626025_1_fcdadf6968cd7fb70ac6c34e1072b133.jpg

Upper left is the courthouse and jail
img_626025_2_7e5a1bd5f9093f27db943af868fc70c1.jpg

The rail bridge that collapsed
img_626025_3_219fa7854ee1a091343bbc4bac5008b1.jpg

Downtown Cedar Rapids, looking toward the bridge/river
img_626025_4_f9f08e18a36223de16d1d2bf860a8c4f.jpg

26th St NE isn't near the river ... don't know about Ankeny.

I saw video of Cedar Rapids (where I grew up) this am and was shocked.
It looks like New Orleans after Katrina!

:(:(:(

Angie -- are those underwater bridges 1st, 2nd and 3rd ave? With I80 over on the left?

Yes! I 380 is the only bridge open right now. Hwy 30 and 13 are also closed..

Back
Top Bottom