More fun at Goodwill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I was "grazing" once again at one of our area Goodwill thrift stores and perused the book shelves as I always do. I'm not usually looking for novels and such but, mostly, for cookbooks that I might find interesting. Like I need more than 2,000. Never mind...

"Hello, my name is Katie and I'm a cookbookaholic."

At any rate, they'd moved a lot of things around because they are in the middle of installation of new tile flooring. Everything was in total disarray but I persevered. Mind on my goal; eyes straight ahead.

I came across a hardback copy of 75th anniversary edition, complete with dust jacket, of Joy of Cooking. There were no ink or pencil marks/notations. Pages were all perfect, no dogears. The only damage was a ding across the front of the dust jacket, which went through to the book, but that was the only marring. Price? $1.99. Into the cart it went. My two-volume paperback copy of Joy is looking pretty sad.

Second teaser was a Rachael Ray book, 30-Minute Meals - gettogethers. I'm not a huge Rachael Ray fan but it was softcover, in pristine condition, and was tagged at 99 cents. I figured that, for less than a dollar, I could find some recipes that tickled my fancy.

So, including tax, I paid $3.16 for the two. I don't know what the original price on Joy was, but certainly more than 3 bucks. The list price on Rachael Ray's book flap was $18.95.

As they would say in this neck of the woods, "Y'all done good.'

Katie, I get a lot of my cookbooks at Goodwill, and at a very good price! I don't know how old you are, but our Goodwill offers a senior discount of 15%, which bring the prices even lower.

I love the book section at thrift stores. That's where I got my Joy of Cooking, Frugal Gourmet, etc.. Also, I love home improvement books like carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc.. They are like 50 cents each. Books are one of the few items that are priced reasonably at our area Goodwills. A lot of the other items are way overpriced.

You guys are awesome. I go to Goodwill and usually end up buying things like a plastic tree or an end table with a warped top.

You have to be willing to haggle and see a project in the making of damaged goods. I bought a large 4 drawer chest for $5.00. (The haggled price.) A coat of paint, (I had some from a previous project.) and a medallion painted gold, glued in the middle of each drawer, and it was like new. Still have it more than ten years later. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom