More household hints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Sometime ago I bought an old (1920s or '30s) brass magazine box to keep my collection of current knitting patterns together in the cupboard. I cost the princely sum of £1.99 (approx. $3 so cheaper than a cardboard lever arch file)

Last night I decided that I'd try and clean it up. Much elbow grease and brass polish later I wasn't getting anywhere so I went to bed and thought about it.

Brainwave! This morning I put a scoop of coarse salt in a dish and moistened it to a paste with a little white vinegar and applied it with an old toothbrush, scrubbing into the nooks and crannies. I left it on until I'd done the lot then wiped it off and went over it with a damp cloth. Brilliant. When I'm sure it's dry I'll give it a going over with a bit of brass polish but it isn't really necessary.

I'm tempted to try the same thing with some old pewter that has seen better days.

If using this suggestion to renovate a bit of tarnished brass make sure it's solid brass not just coated with brass paint and in the event that you have some valuable antique brass get advice before doing this.

Back
Top Bottom