Mosquitoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, I went outside today lured by what I believe are wild baby pansies ~ beautiful little flowers. I then saw a bunch of bugs flying around. I initially thought they were flies because they were near where I put food out for the animals (meat that's questionable that would normally end up in the garbage) but I realized they were mosquitoes and ran as fast as I could. I get bit by anything and it swells to the size of a quarter.

So my question, why would there be huge swarms of mosquitoes? Is it the 4 days of rain? Will they go away once the yard dries a little? Don't they carry deadly diseases? Should I call my landlord and have her take care of these critters? Sorry, I'm just freaked out by this huge swarm in my backyard. Oh, last question, can they bite my outdoor cats and hurt them?

They're just mosquitoes Callisto. There are diseases that mosquitoes carry but the likelihood of you getting them is low. Put on some bug spray and you'll be fine. Your pets will also be fine. Don't worry.

I just came back from a vacation and was sporting 38 bites, no symptoms of anything more than a headache at the moment.

Edit: the flowers are likely violas, love them. And yes, 4 days of rain will do it, and yes, dryer weather will help.

Last edited:
West Nile carrying mosquitos prefer hot, dry weather Callisto. Also there is approximately 1 in every 100,000 mosquitoes that could potentially carry the virus that actually DO carry it. Its also not considered a huge threat to healthy adults, more to immune compromised folks, elderly and very young folks. Do some more research. There is no need to panic, just put your bug spray on, make sure it has some good DEET content and go outside and enjoy. You can't let every little thing cause you to stop living your life the way you want to.

Oh I just can't tell how much I hate those creatures...MOSQUITOES...wonder why Hollywood has never created any Mosquito-man as a villain in some super hero movie!

Blood suckers...vampires...****

We always use mosquito nets to protect ourselves from mosquitoes.

Neither coil, liquidator nor sprays are totally effective, because they will come from outside and how can we use these chemicals for long time ? these chemicals are also harmful for us so we use mosquito nets.

You could try a bug zapper.Mosquito's are attracted to the light.
Freezing the questionable meats,and then tossing them in the garbage can the night before pick up would be a lot better then tossing it outside.
You will eventually attract more then bugs,Creepy furry things,that will cause some serious health problems.

Munky

In our humid, tropical environment, we have lots of mosquitoes, and unfortunately, they carry dengue fever here. I had dengue the first year we were here, and it is no fun. We came down here convinced we would never use chemicals, but that didn't last long...I wear repellant and we spray our yard regularly during the rainy season.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom