Most efficient way to use a/c???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Close up the house in the morning as soon as outside temperature equals inside temperature. I can usually get a few/several hours of fan-only comfort before the temperature becomes uncomfortable and I have to turn on AC.

Wear light clothing if it will help you feel comfortable at a higher temperature. If that's no clothing then close the front blinds! :)

We do that too Greg...close up the house very early in the morning and it is surprising how long you can go before the house warms up...saves having the air con on all day for sure!

Good tip on closing the blinds if you opt for the "no clothing" :ROFLMAO:

Actually you're making an evaporative cooler. It takes heat energy to evaporate water. In other words when water evaporates it sucks up a certain amount of heat, which turns the liquid water into water vapor. Evaporative cooling takes advantage of this, in effect cooling the air in exchange for increasing its humidity.
Isn't this what swamp coolers do? (I think that is what the equivalent of an A/C unit in AZ is called...)

Yes, I was describing swamp coolers. They utilize the principle "heat of vaporization" in that it takes heat to evaporate a liquid into a gas, and that heat subtracts from the surroundings in effect lowering the temperature. Swamp coolers work best in low humidity climates.

It's the same effect that if you wipe your face with a damp towel. The water evaporates and leaves you feeling cooler because the evaporation takes heat away with it. It takes heat to change water liquid into water vapor. Less heat = lower temperature.

n

where's everybody getting all of that ice?

i'll bet it takes more energy to make ice then to run an a.c. unit.

The first hijack was a wet towel in front of a fan, which takes no energy at all. Then we slipped into ice (or slipped on ice).

However, the original question is still about running AC efficiently.

I turn mine to 66° and let it go all day until bedtime. The extra it costs in electricity is nothing compared to the comfort I get from it. I do have it in a window that is on the cool side of the apartment and it's in the room we use the most. I use a fan in the hallway to pull cool air into the office, bathroom and bedroom.

Put the cooling on to really high and then have the comfort of sleeping with the quilt on :LOL: thats what we do

Holy moly!
I keep the house at 78 in the day and 75 during the night, and we sleep with goose down comforters. I have also banned fans.
My husband sweats all day long tho, but men have no say ;)

If Shrek gets cold, he just puts more clothes on. We are both from cold weather states and the heat is tough on us.

78 when we aren't home, 74 in the evening and 71 to sleep, I'd keep it colder but my other half would freeze to death. When I was single, you could have left the fridge door open and the food would have stayed fresh, lol!

One thing about cold vs. heat, for cold you can always heap on more clothing; for heat once you've taken everything off you've reached a limit where you can't get any cooler.

That is exactly how I feel Greg!

Another reason to the list of many as to why I hate Summer :rolleyes:

Greg Who Cooks said:
One thing about cold vs. heat, for cold you can always heap on more clothing; for heat once you've taken everything off you've reached a limit where you can't get any cooler.

You can only get so naked. And the police look down on it too, I hear.

Back
Top Bottom