Most memorable vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
After going to Barbados this June my boyfriend and I decided to make a list of places we want to go and I got to thinking, what is your most memorable vacation?

I would have to say that my top have been Edinbourogh, Barbados, and camping in Maine.

Edinbourogh was really cold, but I loved visiting the castles and hiking the countryside. We didn't have a place to stay when we got there, and since we were in college then we didn't have much money, but it was one of my most memorable trips.

We went on a camping trip to Maine a few years ago and picked a camping area on Mount Desert Island. We were there for 3 days, but we had a car and drove around the island taking pictures and sight seeing. At night we would set up a fire and cook dinner that we brought and turned on some tunes and enjoyed the stars that we don't see here in Manhattan.

We went to Barbados this past June. We had a lovely ocean view suite where we could hear the ocean from our patio. We split our time by doing tourist stuff, swimming and scuba diving, and during the nights we went to the watering hole's (little rum huts) and made friends with the locals.

1. honeymoon in Antigua
2. backpacking in Seven Devils Mtns in Idaho
3. Eastern Caribbean cruise
4. most memorable/least fun - a trip starting in N. Idaho, down through Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Old Mexico. Over as far east as Illinois, back through Iowa, tha Dakotas, Montana, and finally home to Idaho.
850 miles or so in 17 days...in the back seat of a 72 VW Bug...with black vinyl seats...in the summer! WOOHOO! That was out last traveling vacation ever.

I would have to say it's a toss up between the 10 weeks we spend it Europe in 97 and the week we spent in Mexico last October.

In 97 we flew to Amsterdam where we bought a Volkswagon van. We spent the next ten weeks driving where ever we wanted to. The trip was GREAT and horrid and exciting and dull. So many things happened... way too long and hard to explain all of it on a single post. I'll just tell ya the best and the worst. The worst was the weather. OH my goodness... it was the HOTTEST summer that Europe had seen in years. It was so hot that railroad tracks were warping. Keep in mind that the volkswagen ( that kept breaking down!!) had no AC. We were so hot and grumpy!
The best... well that had to be my first sight of my MIL's village. It was so beautiful. I'll never forget driving over the top of the mountain and seeing the rocks of the Meteora. I've seen photos my whole life but to finally be there was such an amazing feeling. In away it was like coming home to a place I'd never been before. Another great thing was the food.
We lived on fresh bread, tomatoes picked right from the garden and cheeses and cukes and gyros!! It was all so simple but you can not beat the taste of a really Greek gyro... they are 100 times different than you get here in the states.

The second best vacation was to Mexico last year.
It was just a perfect week. Nice and warm and sunny, good friends,
good beer, good tequilia, good food and...well, the reason I'll remember it forever is that....we bought a condo!! It's still being built but when it's done it's going to be beautiful! It's right on the ocean. We got to pick out all the paint colors and all the kinds of tiles... pretty fun!!

http://www.costabonita.com.mx/ here's the address if you want to take a look. Click on the Paraiso link.

We plan on renting it out most of the year but we'll keep a few weeks for "JUST US"!!... and then after Paul retires we will have a retirement home ready and waiting!! I'm so excited.

I have had several trips that was on the top of my list:
A 6 wk camping trip with the my family to Great Slave Lake, (Yellowknife) NWT. A month trip to SW China and Tibet; a year backpack in Australia and New Zealand; 2 mo in Ireland; Peru and the Amazon at Christmas to see the Southern Cross..... I've been lots of other places and feel s fortunate to have had the ability to travel to see the world but there are many places I will never get to visit. I have visited all 50 states.

My most 'memorable' vacation is always my LAST one! In this case, a week in Cabo San Lucas.

But I always remember my ski holidays particularly well for some reason, too!

many places

I have been many places too and I also feel very lucky to have
traveled so much.
But I would have to say the three top so far are

When our first child was just about a year we went to
Pagosa Co it was so much fun and about a foot of snow everyday.
We stayed in a beautiful condo and just got away from everything
and spent time together. Much needed vacation.

Next I would say a few years ago My hubby and I planned a out post
fishing trip with my brother and his family.. Well the lodge called a few
days before we were to leave and said the lake was still frozen there would
be no way to fly us to the out post my brother and husband wanted to go.
But he said a few days later he would be able to fly us out to a different
out post camp. My brother had already been there and did not want to
go back to the same lake. So he canceled out and the lodge said they
would still fly my husband and me out to the this out post and it would
be o.k. if we did not meet the limit requirement, most out post have a # of people you must have to get the out post. So we were able to
spend a week way up in Canada fishing and no-one else around except
the bears. It was a blast.....

Third would have to be last year we rented a house boat on Lake Powell
just us and our girls it was so much fun, and the beauty was out of this
world. My girls keep asking when we can go back. After the house boat
we took our time and went white water rafting in Co and then finished
our vacation in a cabin right on the river in Estes Park. Can't remember
the name of the river, great way to end a exciting trip.

My folks called last week and said we want to kid nap you and my hubby
for a week what are the dates you have to be in town? when do the kids
start school.. Just found out today we are going to Canada to fish next
week. Another flly out can't wait. We won't be doing the out post, my
folks are in their mid to late 80s it would be to rough on them.

Sailing around to various spots in Door County on my dad's sailboat.

Hippie camping trip to western Canada that first husband & I took after graduating from college. Heard over a campfire that Nixon had resigned.

There's others, but those two I remember very well.

Looking forward to witnessing the Macy's Thanksgiving parade this November in NYC. Bucky, you need to be on hand to provide color commentary.

We took a sailing boat around the Greek islands when we first met many years ago... We spent three weeks cruising from island to island. It was magical.

Ishbel said:
We took a sailing boat around the Greek islands when we first met many years ago...

Izzy, when you first MET??? I'm shocked, shocked that a proper Scotswoman like you would have done such a thing.

But of course he must have been handsome and charming, and the Greek sun so warm................

The Summer:

Sardinia June 2003. I had never seen such gorgeous, brilliant emerald water and perfect white sand beach directly, not on some posters or TV adverts or jigsaw puzzle pictures. I was just spellbound. Then Cris taught me to snorkel, until then going beyond the point where I can stand and still leave my head safely above the water had absolutely been out of question. For the first time I was able to swim around amongst fishes in that crystal clear water, how beautiful it was, is just beyond description. Also choosing June was a wise decision, as the mass immigration of holiday makers from all over Italy was yet to arrive, the beaches were not so crowded, and maybe that was one of the reasons the water remained so clear.
We went back last summer, too, but the first time is always the most special one...

The winter:
Toss up between Copenhagen January 2004, or London/Birmingham March 2005.

Both times I went to see a major international figure skating competitions, I wouldn't go into details as probably I will bore everyone to tears, but both outings were packed with unforgettable fun and excitements...

I have many more great experiences travelling though, and hope to add many more in the future...:)

mudbug said:
Izzy, when you first MET??? I'm shocked, shocked that a proper Scotswoman like you would have done such a thing.

But of course he must have been handsome and charming, and the Greek sun so warm................

Well, not quite when we FIRST met - but about a year later.... but it was a loooooong time ago, Mud!:ROFLMAO:

I've visited lots of places round the world (both before and since that holiday) - but nothing tops that holiday. Pootling around on the boats, swimming on deserted beaches, eating until we were stuffed... drinking lots of wine and retsina (blech.... but hey, we were on holiday!) I suppose that is why we return to one or other of those islands time after time.:cool:

I wouldn't know where to start...I seem to end up living where ever I vacation to.

From Bermuda, I go home at least once a year.

I LOVED being in Coasta Rica
I REALLY LOVED Living in Holland
I REALLY REALLY LOVED Vancouver,B.C.
and England(Sheffield/Rotherham) is always great because I can catch up with family...

TATTRAT said:
and England(Sheffield/Rotherham) is always great because I can catch up with family...

yes, i've heard that people from north central england are particularly slow of foot. (bah dum dum...)

and 'bug, your chariot awaits! i would love to meet you and the hh this fall, tho i'm pretty sure i'll be working midnights that week. you'll have to brave the parade yourselves, but i'll meet yous for an aperitif in the evening.

laissez les bon temps roulez!!!

Last edited:
We went camping for 2 weeks in Canyonlands, Utah. It was my first "real" camping trip. We had a great time and did some spectacular hikes through slot canyons. It was a great vacation but probably most memorable because I got knocked up that vacation. :angel:

Kauai with my sister was really fun. We went a couple years ago when I was 7 months preggers with Aidan. We always have a great time. We went to some pretty incredible places.

Visiting family in Scotland is always wonderful too. Made a trip with my sister over there in 2002. I sure hope to take the kids over there someday.

This will sound awefully tame but my honeymoon was in a small town called Halliburton in a bed and breakfast, its an artist community, with some side triips to Huntington (all this is in Ontario, we didn't venture far). We went to all the little shops and work shops, bought some beautiful momentos with which we redecorated our room (quilt, picture made with real fauna, sculptures) and came back through Kingston where we took in the haunted walk... we had alot of fun. Especially since out bed and breakfast had canoes, paddle boats, a 2 seated bike, all kinds of stuff and we sprung on the suite.

Like many, I have a hard time narrowing it down.

Childhood? I lived for three years in Germany. No, it really doesn't qualify as a vacation (especially as the eldest of four children of a military sergeant), but I specifically remember going to the Black Forest, going to the Oktoberfest, mushrooming with Opa (honorary title) and various other things we did on the couple of vacations while we lived there. I'll never forget what the Alps looked like. It was magic, and rather sets the standard. Yes, I had to baby-sit younger sisters while my parents went out dancing. The flip side of that was that I got to watch all the Germans clear the floor to watch Mom & Dad dance. Nothing matches the green, nothing matches the beauty. And nothing can ever match the night I spent in a castle. A real castle!

In adult life it is harder. My husband and I, luckily, are very sympatico. We haven't been on a vacation for years, but .... well, living in Hawaii off & on for ten years? How about a week in Old Quebec City, in an old B&B, eating great game? How about touring Slovenia, using only public transportation? A few days in Hong Kong, with eating as the centerpiece of the vacation?

I guess I've been very lucky. I simply cannot choose -- heck, I can't even figure out where my next vacation will be once my puppy goes to her great reward!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom