Mother-in-law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
My wonderful mother in law is now residing with us permanently. She is in pretty good health and is ambulatory.
She is here because we want to help her to have the best possible living situation.
I am certain all will work out just fine and I get along very well with her. But I have a question.

She knows that our living expenses will increase with her living with us. Especially with her oxygen machine running 24-7.

My question is how much should I ask her to contribute monthly? She is selling her house and gets a SS check every month. She also has money in the bank.
I am also on a fixed income, so the addition of another person in the household will financially burden us.
What would you do and how would you do it.

I love my MIL and I am struggling with this situation.

TIA............John

The frist thing you should do is contact the Electric company to see if you can get a Medical Baseline Discount because of the oxygen machine. I get 20% because of my CPAP machine.

After that, sit down with your bills and create an estimation of how much more it's going to cost for her to live there; utilities, groceries, transportation, etc. and give her that figure. As a ball park figure, take your existing expenses and increase them by 1/3. Then keep track for 3 to 6 months to ascertain the exact amount your expenses have increased and recalculate as required. Just remember that your expenses, especially utilities, will generally be higher in the winter than in the summer.

Last edited:
John,
We went through this exact same thing when my father moved in several years ago. The only difference is that he was starting to fail health-wise and we all knew he would not be able to live on his own much longer. Also, as a diabetic (and albeit a very picky eater all his life), we all knew our food bill would rise substantially. He, too, had an oxygen concentrator and basically had his TV on from morning to night.

After the first two months we calculated all the extra expenditures and then he added an extra $200 for my "wear and tear" driving him, cooking to suit him, etc.

It started out that he paid $375 per month and as his needs got greater the "wear and tear" increased (by his doing). We also increased it once because all of our utilities went up pretty much at once.

I don't know if that helps or not. PM me if you would like more specifics.

Lots of factors to consider.

Has she offered to contribute?
Do you feel comfortable presenting her with a calculated "bill" (as Sir Loin suggests)?
Would you consider asking her to contribute whatever she feels comfortable with?

A lot depends on her financial situation and your relationship with her.

You got some very good advice there John. I just wanted to give you an "atta boy" for your generosity. My guess is that you're struggling with talking with her about how much money you'll need for her care. My suggestion is you and your wife decide what it will take, and your wife should do the talking since it's her mother. Putting myself in her position, I would want to hear it from her, with you there for support.

You got some very good advice there John. I just wanted to give you an "atta boy" for your generosity. My guess is that you're struggling with talking with her about how much money you'll need for her care. My suggestion is you and your wife decide what it will take, and your wife should do the talking since it's her mother. Putting myself in her position, I would want to hear it from her, with you there for support.

Agreed.

The frist thing you should do is contact the Electric company to see if you can get a Medical Baseline Discount because of the oxygen machine. I get 20% because of my CPAP machine.

After that, sit down with your bills and create an estimation of how much more it's going to cost for her to live there; utilities, groceries, transportation, etc. and give her that figure. As a ball park figure, take your existing expenses and increase them by 1/3. Then keep track for 3 to 6 months to ascertain the exact amount your expenses have increased and recalculate as required. Just remember that your expenses, especially utilities, will generally be higher in the winter than in the summer.

Great advice. Especially the Electric discount! I will check on it next week.

John,
We went through this exact same thing when my father moved in several years ago. The only difference is that he was starting to fail health-wise and we all knew he would not be able to live on his own much longer. Also, as a diabetic (and albeit a very picky eater all his life), we all knew our food bill would rise substantially. He, too, had an oxygen concentrator and basically had his TV on from morning to night.

After the first two months we calculated all the extra expenditures and then he added an extra $200 for my "wear and tear" driving him, cooking to suit him, etc.

It started out that he paid $375 per month and as his needs got greater the "wear and tear" increased (by his doing). We also increased it once because all of our utilities went up pretty much at once.

I don't know if that helps or not. PM me if you would like more specifics.

It helps for sure. My Dad lived here until he died and he was in bad shape vs my MIL. She is also diabetic and cannot eat exactly what we eat. But so far, she has been okay with everything I have made for her. I do all the cooking for the record.
Its the actual amount and talking to her about it, that bothers me. My wife has two other sisters that cannot help even though they both live nearby. Maybe I can talk to them (all three) and see what they think would be fair.

Exactly. I do not want to come off as money hungry, but expenses are expenses. So, sooner or later we will have to discuss this.
I agree that my wife should be the one along with her two sisters that could not help in this regard.

Thanks Andy also.

I'm sure you'll be as fair as possible John. Even though the sisters can't financially contribute, it's important all the sisters agree on the amount before talking with her.

My own story is a case in point. My half brother and his wife took in our father. My brother is a bit of a wimp, and when his money hungry wife said they needed Dad's entire Social Security check turned over to them, my brother went along with it. Dad made a very good living all his life and the check was far more than the cost of his care. They gave him a small "spending money" allowance from it like he was a child. He's gone now, and that was over thirty years ago. Needless to say, it still sticks in my craw. :censored:

Last edited:
I don't think your wife's sisters should be involved beyond their knowing, in very general terms, that their mom is making a financial contribution to help cover expenses. Their interests are different from yours. They don't know your financial situation or expenses so should not be involved in the process or the conversation. This is a household matter.

I'm sure you'll be as fair as possible John. Even though the sisters can't financially contribute, it's important all the sisters agree on the amount before talking with her.

My own story is a case in point. My half brother and his wife took in our father. My brother is a bit of a wimp, and when his money hungry wife said they needed Dad's entire Social Security check turned over to them, my brother went along with it. Dad made a very good living all his life and the check was far more than the cost of his care. They gave him a small "spending money" allowance from it like he was a child. He's gone now, and that was over thirty years ago. Needless to say, it still sticks in my craw. :censored:

The sisters were not able to help with housing, money was not the issue. In fact they both are financially able to pay for her expenses.
They just could not have her in their homes because of their husbands.
My MIL does not like them (Son IL's) very much either....lol

I don't think your wife's sisters should be involved beyond their knowing, in very general terms, that their mom is making a financial contribution to help cover expenses. Their interests are different from yours. They don't know your financial situation or expenses so should not be involved in the process or the conversation. This is a household matter.

Good point Andy. I think I was using them (wife and sisters) as my way out of the job I have signed up for.
However, no matter, they will all know in no time. My MIL has a way of talking and telling everyone whats up.

...Good point Andy. I think I was using them (wife and sisters) as my way out of the job I have signed up for.
However, no matter, they will all know in no time. My MIL has a way of talking and telling everyone whats up.

You're not going to stop her from talking about it. By that time, it's a done deal. I think it's more important they are not involved in the discussions and setting the terms. In fact, they shouldn't even know that's happening.

If you pay your bills with home banking through your financial institution, you can get a list of your last 12 recurring bills such as utilities, from the Bill Pay application to figure out an average. That's how I calculate my home office tax deduction.

You're not going to stop her from talking about it. By that time, it's a done deal. I think it's more important they are not involved in the discussions and setting the terms. In fact, they shouldn't even know that's happening.

Really?? I couldn't disagree more strongly. I think you'd feel differently had you been in my position. See my previous story.

Sound advice. All I'd add would be to sit her down with you while you do the working out. That way, at a later date if she starts to lose the plot or there is a difference of opinion on an unconnected issue, she can't accuse you of exploiting her. I'm sure she wouldn't and you wouldn't but it's as well to have everything in the open from the start

Last edited:
Great advice. Especially the Electric discount! I will check on it next week.

Its the actual amount and talking to her about it, that bothers me. My wife has two other sisters that cannot help even though they both live nearby. Maybe I can talk to them (all three) and see what they think would be fair.

Exactly. I do not want to come off as money hungry, but expenses are expenses. So, sooner or later we will have to discuss this.
I agree that my wife should be the one along with her two sisters that could not help in this regard.

Thanks Andy also.
I don't think I'd involve the sisters at all unless they are going to chip in with the dollars. After all, you and DW will have all the extra responsibility and upheaval. It's between you, DW and MiL and no-one else's beeswax.

Look at it this way. If you were 3 friends sharing a house you'd be having this discussion without embarrassment so try and think of it in those terms.

Last edited:

Really?? I couldn't disagree more strongly. I think you'd feel differently had you been in my position. See my previous story.

Kayelle, I'm not sure what your point is. Please explain.

First of all, RB and his wife are willing to help but realize there is a financial impact. Mom has some resources so should be willing to contribute.

What input could the SILs have that would be relevant? They don't know RB's financial situation (and he shouldn't have to share it) and may not know all of mom's. I don't see this as a situation where mom's money needs to be protected by the SILs because RB and his wife are "money hungry" and a "wimp" as in your previous story.

Unless the SILs are being asked to help financially, they should not be involved.

Just thought of something when I was re-reading the comment about the electricity discount. Will you be able to get any tax rebate/discount/incentive because you will be effectively unpaid carers even though MiL is contributing to the household expenses? If it's possiblity you will have to make it quite clear that you are not profiting by her contributions. It's worth enquiring.

Do you have anything like a citizens' Advice Bureau or a carers' helpline that you could speak to to find out what's what?

Just thought of something when I was re-reading the comment about the electricity discount. Will you be able to get any tax rebate/discount/incentive because you will be effectively unpaid carers even though MiL is contributing to the household expenses? If it's possiblity you will have to make it quite clear that you are not profiting by her contributions. It's worth enquiring.

Do you have anything like a citizens' Advice Bureau or a carers' helpline that you could speak to to find out what's what?

Good point. If you contribute more than 50% of your MIL's care you can take her as a dependent on your tax return.

Most jurisdictions have an area agency on aging that provides free information and advice on situations like this.

Back
Top Bottom