"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Mother's Day

Hey all...I'm a soooo behind on deciding what to do for mother's day! First I thought I was going to get my mom flowers and take her to dinner...but now I'm thinking about cooking her a dinner at home and buying her a cute little like purfume set at Lord & Taylors...is that super cheesy??
what are you all doing?? any suggestions for me (on either the dinner or the gift )

Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSides
Hey all...I'm a soooo behind on deciding what to do for mother's day! First I thought I was going to get my mom flowers and take her to dinner...but now I'm thinking about cooking her a dinner at home and buying her a cute little like purfume set at Lord & Taylors...is that super cheesy??
what are you all doing?? any suggestions for me (on either the dinner or the gift )
As a mom, I would say that sounds like a very thoughtful thing to do. I love it when my children have us over to eat. Does your mom like purfume?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
I'd say definitely make her dinner regardless of whatever else you do. My mom loves gardening so my sister and I get her a ton of stuff to plant every year. Then we spend the day gardening with her and do something nice for dinner. That's just my mom's interest though - it depends what yours likes!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

All I can suggest is... Tell her how much you love her! Do everything you can for her!! Spend every second you can with her! Tell her how much you love her! Thank her for everything she has done for you! Thank her for all that she means to you!! Give her lots of hugs!! Thank her for giving you life! Thank her for all of the sacrifices she made for you! And a thoudsand of other things!! Then do it all over again!! Then again!! And again!!!
Did I say tell her how much you love her!!

I wish I could..once more!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like the dinner idea and would kick it up a notch by making it as close to having a meal at the finest restaurant you could imagine. Use the prettiest dishes and table linens, print a beautiful menu off your computer, put flowers on the table, have nice music playing, the whole nine yards. Make her "queen for a day." And, sure, buy her the perfume, too. Make sure it's elegantly wrapped, in keeping with the rest of the theme.

As for me, I have no mother and my MIL lives 900 miles away, but we always send her something.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I echo Uncle Bob's post ! Miss my Mom too !
Anything anyone does will be appreciated !
Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Head Chef

even though I'm a new mom "lol", I offered to make my MIL and FIL dinner on Saturday. I'm making mediterainean chix over chix flavored rice and a spinache and cheese bake. I'll probably buy some french bread or something. I'm also going to my moms this weekend and usually my step dad cooks or we all order out. MY MIL is also taking my 13 month old over night Saturday night.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
All I can suggest is... Tell her how much you love her! Do everything you can for her!! Spend every second you can with her! Tell her how much you love her! Thank her for everything she has done for you! Thank her for all that she means to you!! Give her lots of hugs!! Thank her for giving you life! Thank her for all of the sacrifices she made for you! And a thoudsand of other things!! Then do it all over again!! Then again!! And again!!!
Did I say tell her how much you love her!!

I wish I could..once more!

Well said. I agree and thank you for reminding me to do that for my mother. I thought the bonsai tree was a great gift but your idea is much better. I am lucky to have my mother. I hope my children read this too!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Wish my mom and MIL lived closer. Had to send tulips and will call both on Sunday echoing Uncle Bob's thoughts.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Sous Chef

My mom goes to bed fairly early (we're talking 9:30 on a late night), so I'm going to make these
Recipes : Chocohotopots : Food Network
when she goes to bed (they are like the best chocolate dessert thing ever!!)
then clean up the kitchen, and put a really nice card on the counter telling her how much i love her and telling her that there are "Chocohotopot's" in the fridge that she can have for breakfast. They're her favourite chocolate thing and she always gets up way early (4 or 5am), and she can't have caffiene in the evening or afternoon becuase she can't sleep if she does, so i think that she would really like that

My other idea is to go up to this market and get this type of coffee that is her absolute favourite (she just recently started drinking coffee in the mornings after years of not) and surprise her in the morning with that on the counter.

I dunno, we'll probably also go hiking, walking or biking at one point in the day (she loves being outside and that sort of stuff).

Those two ideas can be interchanged for her birthday.

we may also go up to the cottage (infact this one is the most likely since she bugs us to go every friday, and i dunno how i can deney her that on mothers day...

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote