Mother's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IronSides

Senior Cook
Hey all...I'm a soooo behind on deciding what to do for mother's day! First I thought I was going to get my mom flowers and take her to dinner...but now I'm thinking about cooking her a dinner at home and buying her a cute little like purfume set at Lord & Taylors...is that super cheesy??
what are you all doing?? any suggestions for me (on either the dinner or the gift :angel:)

IronSides said:
Hey all...I'm a soooo behind on deciding what to do for mother's day! First I thought I was going to get my mom flowers and take her to dinner...but now I'm thinking about cooking her a dinner at home and buying her a cute little like purfume set at Lord & Taylors...is that super cheesy??
what are you all doing?? any suggestions for me (on either the dinner or the gift :angel:)

As a mom, I would say that sounds like a very thoughtful thing to do. I love it when my children have us over to eat. Does your mom like purfume?

I'd say definitely make her dinner regardless of whatever else you do. My mom loves gardening so my sister and I get her a ton of stuff to plant every year. Then we spend the day gardening with her and do something nice for dinner. That's just my mom's interest though - it depends what yours likes!

All I can suggest is... Tell her how much you love her! Do everything you can for her!! Spend every second you can with her! Tell her how much you love her! Thank her for everything she has done for you! Thank her for all that she means to you!! Give her lots of hugs!! Thank her for giving you life! Thank her for all of the sacrifices she made for you! And a thoudsand of other things!! Then do it all over again!! Then again!! And again!!!
Did I say tell her how much you love her!!

I wish I could..once more!:(

I like the dinner idea and would kick it up a notch by making it as close to having a meal at the finest restaurant you could imagine. Use the prettiest dishes and table linens, print a beautiful menu off your computer, put flowers on the table, have nice music playing, the whole nine yards. Make her "queen for a day." And, sure, buy her the perfume, too. Make sure it's elegantly wrapped, in keeping with the rest of the theme.

As for me, I have no mother and my MIL lives 900 miles away, but we always send her something.

even though I'm a new mom "lol", I offered to make my MIL and FIL dinner on Saturday. I'm making mediterainean chix over chix flavored rice and a spinache and cheese bake. I'll probably buy some french bread or something. I'm also going to my moms this weekend and usually my step dad cooks or we all order out. MY MIL is also taking my 13 month old over night Saturday night.

Uncle Bob said:
All I can suggest is... Tell her how much you love her! Do everything you can for her!! Spend every second you can with her! Tell her how much you love her! Thank her for everything she has done for you! Thank her for all that she means to you!! Give her lots of hugs!! Thank her for giving you life! Thank her for all of the sacrifices she made for you! And a thoudsand of other things!! Then do it all over again!! Then again!! And again!!!

Well said. I agree and thank you for reminding me to do that for my mother. I thought the bonsai tree was a great gift but your idea is much better. I am lucky to have my mother. I hope my children read this too!

My mom goes to bed fairly early (we're talking 9:30 on a late night), so I'm going to make these
Recipes : Chocohotopots : Food Network
when she goes to bed (they are like the best chocolate dessert thing ever!!)
then clean up the kitchen, and put a really nice card on the counter telling her how much i love her and telling her that there are "Chocohotopot's" in the fridge that she can have for breakfast. They're her favourite chocolate thing and she always gets up way early (4 or 5am), and she can't have caffiene in the evening or afternoon becuase she can't sleep if she does, so i think that she would really like that:stuart:

My other idea is to go up to this market and get this type of coffee that is her absolute favourite (she just recently started drinking coffee in the mornings after years of not) and surprise her in the morning with that on the counter.

I dunno, we'll probably also go hiking, walking or biking at one point in the day (she loves being outside and that sort of stuff).

Those two ideas can be interchanged for her birthday.

we may also go up to the cottage (infact this one is the most likely since she bugs us to go every friday, and i dunno how i can deney her that on mothers day...:angel:

Most restaurants will be packed with everyone taking mom out for mother's day. Your idea of cooking for her would be great. Make it something special. You really don't need to do anything else except plan to spend the whole day with her. My kids are older now and working and going out with their friends. Our time together is limited. She will love the fact that you are giving her a whole day to do things together. Get out the old videos of your childhood, picture albums of family vacations, find the book you always had to have read to you at bedtime and read it to her! She will love you always but this will show her how much you appreciate everything she has done for you to make you the person you are today.

My Mother and MIL are both gone but not forgotten. For my wife my daughter is making key lime pie for dessert and I am going to make shrimp cocktail appetizers with smoked shrimp, grilled salmon, fresh asparagus and baked slightly smoked sweet potatoes.

For background music it's still a tossup wheter it is Merle Haggard or Waylon Jennings. After all a good country music song always mentioned Mama.....and trains.....and bein in prison...and gettin drunk....and pickup trucks... But I digress. Maybe I'll even pick up a bottle of finer wine (more than $20).:rolleyes:

I knew better than to go to this site--so I'm here and you're stuck with my post which you can ignore or go on. And yes, the pain is there. I lost my mother at age 9 in 1964 to breast cancer (she was only 30 and was diagnosed at 28--do your breast checks is all I can plead to you girls----please if you have any regards for your moms let them know how much you appreciate them---

Uncle Bob said:

Here Here Uncle Bob!

I still visit my Mom on Mother's Day, but it means a trip to the cemetary. :(

John

I think that I will write a Mother's Day Diary for my children. Of course I'll include a few recipes for all their favorite foods too! :)

My mother under went heart surgery about three weeks ago to replace a valve. She had a 95% chance of recovery and made it fine. She was placed in a nursing home last week for physical therapy and will either go to an assisted living complex or stay at the nursing home. (She lives 1200 miles from me and is surrounded by family)

She is in good spirits (83 yrs) with her surroundings and has kept everyone laughing with her humor of getting settled in. :cool:

StirBlue said:
I think that I will write a Mother's Day Diary for my children. Of course I'll include a few recipes for all their favorite foods too! :)

My mother under went heart surgery about three weeks ago to replace a valve. She had a 95% chance of recovery and made it fine. She was placed in a nursing home last week for physical therapy and will either go to an assisted living complex or stay at the nursing home. (She lives 1200 miles from me and is surrounded by family)

She is in good spirits (83 yrs) with her surroundings and has kept everyone laughing with her humor of getting settled in. :cool:

I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing so well. This is really a "Happy Mothers Day" for you and your famliy. JoAnn

If you still have a Mother by all means let her know you love her and that she is in your thoughts. An expensive meal, flowers or chocolates can seldom express any more than your heartfelt spoken words of affection and appreciation.

Our son and his fiancé are taking their mothers to dinner on Saturday night to a place called P.F. Changs. My son and wife-to-be are moving away from home for the first time. They will be heading out to Cape Girardeau, Missouri early Sunday morning to find a place to live.

I was hoping to cook for my mom instead of waiting 2 hours to be waited on at a restaurant. Blah! I will take her out Saturday and my hubby will grill for me on Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!

Back
Top Bottom